• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Tight window crank

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Driver door window regulator was replaced in 2012. It has never been easy to operate. I oiled it when I installed it but it did no good. The passenger side works smoothly with little effort but the driver side is so bad I can't get it all the way up from the driver seat. Takes two hands. I put some silicone lubrication in the window tracks but that didn't help. I know the door panel will have to come off again but what after that? Anyone cure this problem?

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Often the issue is the angle of the regulator as related to the anchor bolt. The hole gets wallowed out
and must be fixed.
. Make double sure the felts in the vertical guides are fine. They get torn and can bunch up
causing drag. The balance spring can be weak also, NEVER put too much faith in new parts.
MD(mad dog)

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had both windows on the TR4 doing as yours is doing. I took off the panel and just tried to adjust the mechanism some. I do not know exactly what I did but it has been working very well since then. I know that I did loosen some parts and then adjust and retighten them. There are not a lot of things that you can do but keep working on it until it moves as you want it to.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Felt will make it hard and the spring should have some lube but the biggest problem tracks out of line. So loosen track at bottom of door and run glass up and down find a happy place it may need a shim if say door is bent. Do you have good door gaps to body. Madflyer

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The first couple of turns are easy - then it binds and becomes hard to crank.

Yes that is exactly what mine was doing. Wish I could be more specific. I cleaned, lubed and tried to adjust. Got it working great with NO NEW parts.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Those %^%$# handles! What a stupid system. I did this job once and swore never again. The springs are very tight and you need 3 hands to push on the panel and insert the icepick I use to get the pin out. There must be a forked tool to make the job easier by wedging the panel and the plastic spacer. Of course the pins fall out and disappear so I just cut a nail to the right size and stick it back in with a pair of needle nose pliers. People have drilled out the handle and crank and tapped it for a plated machine screw like a normal car. Wonder what would happen if I drilled out with the handle still attached? Would the handle then slide off or would there still be part of the pin preventing the handle from coming off? Anyone ever try it? Just wondering.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Calm down, cut down the spring where it is at least humanly possible to re-assemble the little bugger. Sometimes we
will heat them to get less height/tension . the issue is the new springs are way too much for the job.
MD(mad dog)

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I had the perfect tool to use on the clips but it's gone who knows where. Just insert and push. Clips come right out. Why is it you only lose the tools that can't be replaced?