• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Thought to ponder: Analysis Paralysis

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
When I got my car I basically jumped in and drove 2200 miles across country. Now that I know all the things that were wrong, and what can go wrong, I hope I have the guts (or ignorance) to just get in and go off into the wild wonder again!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With a few tools aboard and some spares you can go as far as you want to!

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
im looking at the same size trip in the next little bit. just got my 30 day temp plates today. I feel the same way. soooo many things, when do you trust your trouble shooting skills enough? im going through it real slow and hoping i get all the stuck on the side of the road things out of the way. they have priority over trivial things like heaters:nightmare:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have ya got "connectivity" across your route?? If so, we're here! There ain't much to go wrong with a B that can't be addressed with a good set of tools and some MacGuyver knowledge. Wire coat-hangers, some J-B Weld, Duct-Tape and Channel-Loks. If it ain't fixable with that kit, ya need a tow.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
so far Denver Colorado, and Rose Park, just out side Salt Lake City are my two rest points. My drives not set in stone yet either. Im thinking follow 80 on the side roads. I have no overdrive and dont want to redline the whole drive. i feel a bit better as i immediately found a purpose for everything you mentioned. Triple A card holder here to. As much as i want to take a more Southern rout, florida just might be pushing it. As of now i have been away from my new bride longer then we ever got to live together. im so close. A few more days of not this.
snow on cover.jpg
Temp plates are in my hand. hope to get tires on the ground tomorrow or the next day

Last edited:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm in Midway, south-east of Salt Lake City. If you need anything while you're coming through town, let me know.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
iv never seen a bug eye up close drew. whats your definition of "need" :smile: I appreciate it brother. we will see what shakes lose over the drive if i come over those MTs limpin youll be the first to know.

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
Will, my B does not have OD and I started out slow keeping it around 60 max. As the trip progressed found I was cruising right along at 70 to 80 easy. RPM's did not get too high with a couple thousand to spare. Hope you have great trip!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
iv never seen a bug eye up close drew. whats your definition of "need" :smile: I appreciate it brother. we will see what shakes lose over the drive if i come over those MTs limpin youll be the first to know.

Just PM'd you my contact info, get in touch if you make it out here and there's time for a connection.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Drew, im looking forward to it. last time i drove it i rode the highway a lot putting on a few hundred miles a week. passing needed a grade that was going to cooperate but it seemed fine. i just am uncomfortable driving that far at a constant speed. fun fact i am in need of a new cam as my number three exhaust lobe is worn to the point of the valve opening mostly due to the pressure in the cylinder. gps has my car MAXED out downhill at 82 mph. i dont want to do a new cam with out reworking a few other things. A motor by hap or at least a kit from him is on my wish list.

OP
Boggsy64

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
Will, that gives me some hope for the status of my engine (last thing I plan to rebuild). It did consume a lot of oil, but the car pulled fine and passing was no problem. I got it up to 90 once or twice getting by some big trucks. Maybe a ring job and lapped valves are all I need. I was (still am) concerned what the cam and crank will be like.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When i got it home the first time I leaned on the fender looking in the motor i heard a huge pop and the car dropped. bushing completely gave up the ghost. so i took the cross member off and went through the suspension front and back. Poly bushings and rebuilt the shocks. oh and i painted the front springs red to match the bushings :smile: rode great after that. while i was under there i could remove the oil pan. thats how i saw my crank. I put two and two together and knew where the putter i had was coming from. So far i am very impressed with the bulletproof design i am noticing.
As embarrassing as it is to admit i once noticed my oil at nil so i pulled over bought some and watched the gage rise then drop. i saw it pump out right on the ground. line from the pump broke. drove it twenty miles that way home. no noticeable difference in power sounded MAYBE a bit more clicky from the valves. got home parked it till i installed a new oil line. No problems sense. solid pressure. its a tank.

Last edited:

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
enough hope to take a drive later this month? :highly_amused:

D

Deleted member 8987

Six. Outside of Denver. Old hiway. Ups and downs. Mostly two lane.