• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This does not look good for our LBC.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
They're out there -- you just have to look for them. I've found a lot of the 20-something sport compact guys find the Little British Cars more fascinating in their eyes than American Muscle. It's a more familiar format to them -- four cylinders, four speeds, two seats, and the thought that you can do engine tuning with simple tools instead of a laptop computer definitely piques their interest. It's like they regard the LBC as a distant ancestor of their Honda & Nissans, which really isn't that far of a stretch.

My '69 Sprite is far from any kind of concours car, so I always let anyone interested "try it on for size". When they sit in the car, they are actually surprised at 1) how much room there actually is, and 2) how everything is close at hand. It might not have the ergonomics measured to the fraction of the millimeter, but generally, the cars are laid out in a way that is fairly instinctive to them. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next decade as a lot of these guys start getting into their 30s and 40s and have some more disposable income that they will be the ones "picking up the torch" for our cars.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I hope so but not so confident. None of my kids seem to have much interest in my toy cars other than it seems to keep the old guy occupied. At one time though one grand daughter wanted the Beetle.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
A few years ago there was a high school shop teacher who had an all girl auto shop class. They were on the forum because they were restoring a TR3. They ended up doing a great job as I recall and sold the car at auction.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
For home renovations, I use a contractor who goes way beyond what I feel necessary. I first had him do our basement when we moved to a house with an unfinished basement. He has done other upgrades for us over the last few years such as custom built pullout drawers in place of shelves in some deep kitchen cabinets. And when we wanted to redo the flooring, fireplace, ceiling, lighting, and kitchen at our lake house, he lived there for two months to get it all done. He is a perfectionist, and now a good friend too. I do not have the tools or the skills to do many of the things he did for us, including waterproofing and insulating the crawlspace there and adding a new "Turtl" entrance to the crawlspace. Our sump pump used to run all the time, now the pit is always dry.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
How many people are going to get a sudden introduction to Home cooked meals? That is if they know how to cook now.

David

glemon

Yoda
Country flag

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
How many people are going to get a sudden introduction to Home cooked meals? That is if they know how to cook now.

David

Now Domino's Pizza has contactless delivery too. Plus there are always drive thru windows.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The majority of the food prep here is my job. A Weber grill, six months' worth of Kingsford charcoal and I'm good-to-go. Herself is a "professional" at coupon clipping so she "bags 'n drags" it, I do th' cookin'. On one occasion she went on one of her expeditions and came home with $40-worth of goods AND two bucks more than she left with. I don't have the patience for 'shopping', can't go along with Her.

As for the future for the Anciens Automotive, some youngin's seem mildly interested but most seem to have their noses pointed down while peering at their cell phones, oblivious to the world around them. feh.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I do a lot of the food prep as I am retired and have "Nothing to Do" all day. Jobs seem to multiply faster than kudzu around here. I use the brick oven for a lot of cooking so we are good for bread and pizza for a while. Have a life time supply of fire wood.
2 months ago our Kroger had the flour I use for bread in their clearance section for $1.25 a 5lb bag so I loaded up not realizing at the time how helpful it would turn out to be.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
David said:
2 months ago our Kroger had the flour I use for bread in their clearance section for $1.25 a 5lb bag so I loaded up not realizing at the time how helpful it would turn out to be.

:thumbsup: Good on ya! I burn thru a five-pound bag fairly quick here, started making quiches and some fruit pies, lots of pasta. Would love to have found a sale like that. And the "Nothing to Do" all day syndrome has struck here as well. Stuff seems to be failing/breaking/needing attention faster now that `retirement age' has been achieved.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
... Stuff seems to be failing/breaking/needing attention faster now that `retirement age' has been achieved.

hmmm - same for me. Except it's *me* that's failing/breaking/needing attention!

Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: Yeah, that too. After a couple days of wrenching on the neighbor's car (see my "skill-set" post), crawling up into the engine compartment, then on my back under it, up-down-up-down... legs ache, back hurts. But I figger it has to be good exercise. At least that's what I'm tellin' myself this morning. And this time there was no bloodletting! Small rewards.

EDIT: And my labor fee was paid-in-full with a case of CAB's. :wink: