• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Thinking of buying this TR6

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
I'm thinking about buying a TR6 from a friend of mine whose had it for a couple years, and is tired of putting money into it. He had put $3,000 into after he bought it for $8400. He is selling it for about $6000. It has never been restored though, and needs the following things mechanically: It has had 2 bent rims which have been unbalanced, causing it to need a new trailing arm, which I can get for free from my boss. It also needs 2 new rear rims. The front and the back tires/rims need to be aligned, and may need some minor front suspension work. We guess that the engine currently has about 50,000 miles on it, and could probably use a rebuild, but doesn't have to have one. My boss says that engine rebuilds are good for about 70,000 miles before it needs another one. The engine runs perfectly fine and smooth, but isn't making as much power as it could. I work at an LBC shop, so there would be no labor fees, as I would be doing the work myself with the guidance of the head honcho. This car I'm looking at is excellent cosmetically, the interior is great, and has only very minor surface rust in a small spot in the engine compartment. Nothing major is wrong with it, and I get the peace of mind of knowing that most of the major crap has been ironed out of it buy the PO. Below are some pictures of it from last fall. Needless to say, the engine compartment isn't nearly as clean, but the exterior paint is still just as good. Would you buy it, assuming you were looking for a TR6?

1972_TR6.jpg

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Think I'd consider it even if I weren't looking for a TR6. Love that particular green. Looks like a lot of fun for $6K.

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
The only thing I'm worried about is starting a minor engine rebuild, and then finding out it needs $2000 worth of parts and machine work. My boss said a "minor" overhaul would cost about $500 in parts with me doing all the work.

Jon12

Jedi Hopeful
It looks very nice and the price seems very reasonable. I spent about a year and a half trying to find a good car at a decent price and finally paid a little too much for the spitfire mostly because I was tired of continually looking for a car. Your boss should be able to give you very good guidance on finding a good car. Good luck making the decision.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Is the under-bonnet pic a mistake? Looks like you have a TR6/250 hybrid.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I've spent the last couple years looking for the right TR6 for me. With my shopping expierence,... I'd say this car, for $6,000 would be a no brainer. I've looked at
$7500-$8500 cars that were not even close to the car you describe.
Does it have overdrive?

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess he got them mixed up... Look at the grille in the engine bay photo. That's a TR250, not the TR6 shown in the photo above.

Kurtis

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess he got them mixed up... Look at the grille in the engine bay photo. That's a TR250, not the TR6 shown in the photo above.

Kurtis

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch........you are perfectly correct, these are pictures of two different cars. Could be an honest mistake by the seller. Could be. Webb, how well do you know this friend, and has your boss been able to take a look at this car?

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
Oops, I accidently added the wrong photo. I took these at a car show last year, and didn't know the titles to all of them when they came off the digital camera. My fault!

As to Stinky's question, no, it doesn't have overdrive, unfortunately.

BRIAN TOWNE

Hi Webb How good a friend is he? What did he spend the $3,000. on. About 50,000 on the engine, does that indicate it had been rebuilt before? What is the milage indicated on the speedo? What is the frame like? Check out all the obvious bad spots, Trailing arm mounts, spring tower crossmember, how's the door fit. And yes, what about the engine compartment photo? If he is a good friend, he will tell you ALL and then let you make the decission. Good luck. Brian

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
I know this guy well. He went to my church for a long time, and now works with me, and I ride in that very TR6 to work every Saturday, because he picks me up. I've spent a fair amount of time in and around it, and from what I see it looks good. My boss is giving it a once over today, and then is gonna get back to me as to what condition its in and what it might need.