• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinking of building an adaptor to allow a torque wrench to tighten the knock-ons

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
but does anyone have any idea as to how many foot pounds would be appropriate (assuming I'm successful with the adaptor, the torque wrench would be right on the centreline of the wheel)? Thanks, Doug

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you use one of these, it's one half turn past hand tight:
Moss 386-120 Knockoff wrench.gif

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There was a german guy who made one for the winged knock offs , it was a while back . He had a website but the thing was stupid expensive and really not nessacary .

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I remember seeing a wooden one (used for an MGA). Still, the copper mallet always seemed to work for me.

Country flag
I'll stick with the solid sound, though I do an impact variation using two (2) hammers, a rawhide mallet held tight to the K/O and then strike its opposite face with my heavy Proto Indianapolis 500 copper hammer.

Now seven (>7 yrs) later and the spinners on my Healey are still pristine.

IMG_6556.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I use an all-lead hammer from American Hammer (also sold by Moss) - available in various weights. No distortion.

Years ago had one of the wooden wrenches from Moss. They disintegrate when your knockoff is stuck.

Have a Charlie Hart wooden wrench. It broke.

Lead hammer & solid sound works best for me.

Addendum: https://americanhammer.com/lead-hammer/

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I also use an all-lead hammer-:encouragement:

Country flag
I use a orange dead blow hammer/mallet from HF. Works great.

Watch out for the shot canister edge cutting through the face - that will nick your knockoff. I went through 2 of the HF black dead-blow hammers that way.
Watch out using a plastic/dead-blow hammer in cooler temps too! Last one I had__a Proto__blew itself apart in mid-50* temps in southern Louisiana.

After that, I don't trust them anymore.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just before starting to reinstall a wheel and attach the knockoff I carefully anneal the brass end of my original Thor 04-310BHP hammer so that when measured with a Shore durometer (using the ASTM D2240 type D scale) I get a reading of 60, thus establishing a pre-tightening baseline.

I then have at the knockoff with the Thor, carefully measuring the hardness of the brass face with the aforementioned instrument. When the durometer reading increases to 74-76 measured at the center of the brass face I stop whacking.

It is important that the initial measurement be performed within 15 minutes of the annealing so that thermal expansion/contraction of the brass does not give a false reading, and naturally this procedure must be repeated for each wheel. I have been using this method for almost 20 years and I have yet to be passed by one of my own wheels while driving. This works on both the near and off side knockons.

BTW I imagine that ambient temperature may have some affect upon the readings I get and the relative force being applied but I have not yet factored it into my calculations.

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just before starting to reinstall a wheel and attach the knockoff I carefully anneal the brass end of my original Thor 04-310BHP hammer so that when measured with a Shore durometer (using the ASTM D2240 type D scale) I get a reading of 60, thus establishing a pre-tightening baseline.

I then have at the knockoff with the Thor, carefully measuring the hardness of the brass face with the aforementioned instrument. When the durometer reading increases to 74-76 measured at the center of the brass face I stop whacking.

It is important that the initial measurement be performed within 15 minutes of the annealing so that thermal expansion/contraction of the brass does not give a false reading, and naturally this procedure must be repeated for each wheel. I have been using this method for almost 20 years and I have yet to be passed by one of my own wheels while driving. This works on both the near and off side knockons.

BTW I imagine that ambient temperature may have some affect upon the readings I get and the relative force being applied but I have not yet factored it into my calculations.

Amazing the things we do -- because we can! :cool:

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
How do you expect to hold the wheel from turning when using a tool? I always thought you
were supposed to tighten the knockoff with the tire off the ground. Thus the hammers.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I also don't think a torque wrench is necessary unless you just want to go through an interesting engineering and manufacturing exercise. The knockoffs should always be tightened initially with the wheel off the ground to make sure the knockoff and wheel cones stay centered. The wire wheel and knockoff are designed to self-tighten as you drive (see "Rudge-Whitworth" at wikipedia), and I proved that to myself long ago by making "witness" marks on the knockoff and wheel hub. The marks ALWAYS move apart from each other in the tightening direction after driving a distance and I have never had a knockoff loosen in 33 years of Healeying.

A friend did report a problem to me with one of his knockoffs becoming loose frequently and he could always tell by the clicking sound from the wheel. I watched him tighten the knockoff and he was doing it with the wheel on the ground. When I told him to jack up the wheel and do it, he has not had the problem since.

My technique is to tighten the knockoff with the wheel off the ground by whacking it with the lead hammer buffered by a piece of wood. That avoids marring the knockoff as well as beating the hammer out of shape. I've been using the same lead hammer for 20 years or so now, although I have gone through a cord of wood. I whack until I don't see the knockoff move, then lower the wheel to the ground enough that it won't move when I whack the knockoff again a couple medium whacks (a "whack" is defined as proportional to the weight of the hammer times the speed of the head at impact, in case anyone asks). Then lower the wheel completely and Bob's your uncle.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
How do you expect to hold the wheel from turning when using a tool? I always thought you
were supposed to tighten the knockoff with the tire off the ground. Thus the hammers.

I hand tighten the knockoff with the wheel off the ground, then lower the wheel and tighten with the wrench.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

My sarcasm detector is lighting up ...