• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Thinking of a TR 2/3 ratrod project

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Looks great!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Ignoring the somewhat rough and incorrect front apron, that looks more a candidate for a proper decent restoration. I suspect that, with a bit of shopping and patience, you might find a completed runner (driver?) with cosmetic issues for that price or cheaper.

DISCLAIMER: I like originals, and I like somewhat battered originals -- "survivors" if you will. I DO NOT like rat rods and I hate "patina" flaunted as a plus...but that's strictly my own preference! :D

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't have a problem with "patina" as such; but a car that is obviously thrown together with parts from 4 or 5 different cars just looks sloppy, to me. No rust visible, but there is still some sheet metal work to be done and some parts not shown. Does anyone know what that bumper fits? Sure isn't a TR3 or 3A bumper!

Anyway, I agree with Andy, keep looking.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Count me in the "keep looking" department. You can find a rat rod-able example for way less. Your investment is not likely to sustain a value in the real TR3 market. If it's just for fun and giggles you can cut cost by using plain sheet metal for floors, etc. and hack it up anyway you want without hurting the value of your purchase. Sounds like fun though.

Country flag
I'll echo most everybody else's comment. Decent tub, pieces of several different cars which is not a bad thing. Price is a bit much. I sold a nice runner last for $13k but you see who seller is. Your paying for a high profile seller. You can beat that price.

Marv

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Rat rod - I like the comments providing. It helps for me to better understand the definition. My Triumph TR3a "project" is something I have referred to as a Rat Rod restoration. My definition is based on keeping the originality of a likely 1980's restoration and paint job. Meaning there are some dents and paints chips and the paint quality is what would be expected from a 30 year respray. I also purchased a set of the American Racing wheels Silverstone wheels and will use without the knock offs. I thought it would give it a vintage look as a car someone would have as a daily driver and also use for autocross on the weekens. At some point in the future, I plan to have the car repainted professionally. Until then I have been straightening panels and plan to do diligence to make sure all panels are straight and rust is repaired correctly in the usual areas needed including the front fenders. So my rat rod definition is really my own interpretation of a driving restoration where I am working on a particular area of the car until happy with the results, doing lots of prep on the body work, but only using my garage and limited equipment to paint. So I guess my interpretation is to take a car, restore it in a condition that is daily driver status.

One more thought to share. Not sure what you have taken on prior. For me I have listed below two Triumphs. One was a restoration where the body was very straight and no rust. The TR3A I am working on now has some what were previously hidden, under some bondo, accident damage and some rust in the usual places. The level of work required when there is actual body work required is much more involved that what I expected. So believe what they say regarding body work and rust repair taking a large part of the overall restoration effort. Good luck.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I like that one too, but beaters have always appealed to me more than pristine cars.

Last edited:

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I would call the one Andy posted a link to as more of a survivor/beater than a rat rod. In my mind a rat rod is a group of automotive parts thrown together with very little if any concern for originality or even if they were from the same manufacture. On a hotrod board I read some, the term rat rod will at least get you flamed if not banded.

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OK - I would like to post my kinda dream rat rod……lots of original……looks like some primer paint…..and the fenders and doors were painted. What I liked about this car is that the panels are straight…..I am going to do something similar. My TR3A was originally BRG. The wheel wells and underneath are still BRG. The exterior and engine compartment are metallic blue. Anyways the car I am referring to is copper, and it looks like the upgrade was painting the wire wheels black. I would not do it personally but actual really like it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.56.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.56.25 PM.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.57.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.57.14 PM.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.57.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 3.57.46 PM.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I dunno, but I might not be using the right term describing what I want to do as a rat rod. At the same time I am not sure the term has a precise definition. I would like to find a ratty but somewhat sound TR3. The interior would be basic race car including a roll bar, no carpets, no upholstery other than thinly padded very distressed leather covers snapped onto aluminum bomber seats. I would want a small mouth front apron, no windscreen, no badging. The front suspension updated to later TR4 specs with r&p. Wheels would be TR6. I would use the stock muffler but run it on the outside like the homemade American road race cars of the early-mid 50's If it interferes with the door opening, don't need to open the door anyway. Remove the big dents, leave the small ones and spray it with equipment enamel (not the leftover John Deere green on the shelf). Last winter I restored my grandfather's 1941 John Deere B, I am currently doing a restoration of my 45 year owned 63 TR4, hopefully done by the end of April. I recently sold a 1939 Ford Standard, just not interested in restoring or building a custom old Ford, just too many around. Next winter is open, so ...............

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ultimately, it is your car, it should please YOU. Doesn't matter what the rest of us think!

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I agree with Randall. Sorry if my previous message did not help. What I was trying to say was that the rat rod idea is something I really like and planning to do myself. The rat rod idea should really allow for your own interpretation. I got carried away with my own. I meant for my comments and photo to provide another point of view for consideration, not to push a right or wrong way to do it…….as they say on American Idol…….make it your own.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Steve you are not pushing a way at all, you are expressing how you would do yours. I have a friend who drives around an old 544 Volvo, he keeps mentioning he is going to paint it with a roller. I think he is nuts (he is of course), but it is his thing. It is fun to express some ideas around here, instead of walking around the house talking to myself. I am starting to notice some memory care/elderly/open house brochures showing up in the mail; think the wife has a plan for me.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
100_1230 (1).jpg100_1229.jpg100_1233 (1).jpg100_1235.jpgI guess you could call my car a bit of a ratrod. When I found the car in 1990 I didn't have the time or the funds to do a proper restoration.I have been having fun driving it for 20 years. Every year I would do one aspect of repairing or upgrading the mechanicals.The car has been mechanically restored now...rebuilt motor,TR6 gearbox,rebuilt carbs,hydraulics etc.Just installed new rear springs and shocks last year. This Spring I'm putting in a new wiring harness. The car has paint chips and scratches and battle scars and a faded paint job but I've had the joy of driving it hard for 20 years. In a way I've done a reverse restoration because I still need floors and inner sills replaced:highly_amused:. Some people want to have a perfectly restored show car and there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever puts a grin on your face.:encouragement:

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Karl,

What is the function/purpose of the 4 round holes on the front of your apron?

Bill