• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

thinking caps required

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Tinster said:
I am thinking up a design concept with two fuel chambers.

Downside- you limit your non-stop trips to 4 gallons.
Upside-you limit your weekends ripping out fuel systems.

additional downside: hepa??? I thought hepa filters were for air? but at any rate , if dirty gas will become a common occurance, you will be clogging up a lot of filters. Would it be possible to fit a TR-3A fuel pump, with glass sediment bowl, to a 6 cyl. TR engine?

MVC-579S-sml.jpg

sorry I don't have a better photo

repros like this are available

fuelpump.jpg

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Cut the base off the tank. Thus exposed, clean and prep all exposed inner surfaces, paint with something suitable, then have the base welded back on.

Of course I have no idea what I am talking about, but on the face of it, it sounds like a solution.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
jjbunn said:
Cut the base off the tank. Thus exposed, clean and prep all exposed inner surfaces, paint with something suitable, then have the base welded back on.

Of course I have no idea what I am talking about, but on the face of it, it sounds like a solution.
Julian - you may be closer to the best idea than any of us

But, I think its time to put the tank back in, clean the lines, put 1 new filter on & drive!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
But, I think its time to put the tank back in, clean the lines, put 1 new filter on & drive!

This is the ONLY course of action that makes sense to me. These crazy ideas of two tanks and hepa filters is just way over the top. It's looks to me that you just got some crappy gas. Clean it up and move on.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think the crappy gas could be a problem on the island. He needs to find the best gas station and stay with it. I would look for a fairly new one that is a major name.
My 2 cents

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
DNK said:
I think the crappy gas could be a problem on the island. He needs to find the best gas station and stay with it. I would look for a fairly new one that is a major name.
My 2 cents

If this is true, what is happening in his other vehicles and boat, and the vehicles of others in his area? Perhaps there is a problem with the newly introduced ethanol mix introduced there that is attacking components of his fuel system. I know when they introduced MBTE here in Santa Cruz it melted all the 'rubber' components on my TR6, which was one of the reasons I stopped driving it.

Just random meanderings.

OP
T

Tinster

Ray- The enthanol in out recreational boats is a fierce
topic as you can imagine.

Most of the weekend boaters are clueless about general
safety issues let alone the ethanol problem.

The ethanol time bomb will go off in the media when the first
boat with grandma, three kids , mom and dad blows up and burns
to the waterline in front of 30,000 tourists at the Old City docks..

d

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Tinster,

I tend to agree with the folks that are saying hook the tank back up & fire her up.

Why can`t you just do a "Stationary" test drive??

Hook-up the lines, tank etc. without bolting everything down. Start her up & let her idle so a lot of feul can get thru the system (Before You hit a 1/4 tank or less) and see what happens.

If she idles OK at that point; Well, I`d say your "Good to Go" for at least a short test drive. Fill it up and run till your about 1/4 tank again and repeat the process. I`d have an "In-Line" clear filter avail. at all times; Even if she does run OK. You can buy these at any Auto Aftermarket store.

"TRY IT"; "YOU MAY JUST LIKE IT"??????????

Russ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, SearcherMan:

"Dude", Dale's gone through/is going through more than any of us can imagine, with Wendy right there. Divorce ain't in the cosmos for them. :nonod:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Next time think before you type.......it saves valuable server space and embarrassment at the same time.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dale;
I'm kinda busy right now, so I can't come down there and help you.
I agree with everyone about looking very closely at the tank. If it is clean, put "1" good filter inline, hook up your fuel lines, and drive that car.
Do try and find a better gas station (read, something new) and get your gas there.

Other than that, you've sorted the TR6 out very well, and I don't think it's time to go overboard now.

Just hook up the lines and enjoy.

Dave :savewave:

Country flag
I came in at the tail end of your trials and tribulations with your car but from what I have read you have done everything within your powers to set this car right. As far as I can tell, you have left no stone untouched in getting your car going. There does seem to be a feeling that your efforts sometimes stalled or got extremely frustrating. And then you were able to drive your car for a while and WHAM - ANOTHER obstacle appears.

What occurs to me after following along here at home, is that by bad luck of the draw you got a tank of crappy gas. On the darker side, it struck me that you may have been the victim of a cruel and sadistic prankster. I hope this isn't the case, but it is something that "may" have happened..?

Many others have offered very wise and well informed advice - clean the lines, re-install the system, put in a new filter, check your gas before you fill up and maybe a locking gas cap?

Know that we all want you and your car to be successful and I for one have no doubt you will have many, many hours of fun driving in your car!

Keep the faith, keep your chin up and keep the shiny side up and the oily side down! :laugh: And give your wife a big BIG hug! Hugs ALWAYS make you feel better!

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Well said. :iagree:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Tinster,

This thd. started on 4-19. Here it is 4-23 and I`m just curious as to what you have done?

Did you try the "Stationary" drive in your garage?

Lets here what`s going on.

Russ

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The bowl gaskets that I sent via Express mail are due to arrive by 3:00Pm tomorrow.

Then we share see what we shall see.

OP
T

Tinster

Brosky said:
The bowl gaskets that I sent via Express mail are due to arrive by 3:00Pm tomorrow.

Then we share see what we shall see.

I'll let you know when they arrive.

thanks,

d