• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 These sills have been replaced, correct?

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't have a GT6 but normally Triumph used spot welds. However, I don't see a problem with those. Of course that would mean it was really not "rust free" over it's life time
Regards,
Bob

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Bob - my thoughts as well. They were done a long time ago, and seem solid now, but inland California cars don't generally need replacements there.

I also found cracking behind the passenger door at a weird spot. Any ideas on what would cause cracking here? That door fit looks a bit pinched to me too, no?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
tom, reach under the car on each side under the door and back, or get down and have a look. Lots of folks do the outside, but very few do the inside. I can normally feel holes even with gloves on.

Wayne

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Those spots almost look more like a braze than a weld, can you check for a brass color? That would be a dead giveaway as I don't believe these were ever brazed, spot welded yes. Interestingly I did find some brazing as original on my 4A on the very front of the front fender around where the grill ends fit to the fender contour. There may have been some brazing on the lower valence too.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
It all looks about right to me. You don't usually see those extra "brazing lumps" on the older cars, but you do on the "squaretail" models. As to the cracking at the base of the "B" post, I wouldn't worry about that, either. Given that the car seems to have had a rather indifferent repaint, that could just be filler cracking a bit. I suspect that, like the sills, there's a bit of brazing at the base of that post, which would have been "factory"!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I don't recall for sure, but they may not have spot welded at the upper inner part of the sill you show. I have chiseled off two pair of these by hand now, you would think I might remember. I just took the inset on the front fender (very front) off an original TR4A fender. It was most definitely brazed on. But I don't recall seeing much brazing elsewhere on these cars.

The rocker looks like it is installed pretty well from what I can see. That gap at the back with the rear fender overlay is hard to get right.