• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Head Gasket

D

Deleted member 8987

I knew a guy, machinist, replaced the head gasket on his six cylinder Dodge, always greased it.
I asked him why.
Makes it easier to get apart.
Oh.
How often do you change it?
Every six months.

pacotaco

Ok I would like to reopen this thread with a question. I did not know that any head gasket was reusable but after reading above apparently it is done. I just took my head off the TR4A and it had a copper gasket. Looking in Moss catalog the are incredibly expensive so my question is should I reuse it?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kind of depends on how you feel about doing the job over if it doesn't hold, IMO.

I have reused both composite and rolled steel head gaskets on occasion and always (IIRC) gotten away with it. But it is a definite risk IMO, I wouldn't do it if I were working on someone else's car for example.

On your wet liner 4, the liner protrusion is critical IMO. Be sure to check on both sides, and do something to correct the situation if it is not within spec.

I'm puzzled by your "incredibly expensive" comment, though. Are you saying you found a solid copper gasket instead of the stock copper-clad composite gasket? Or is $40 enough to break your pocketbook?

The solid copper gaskets are considered indefinitely reusable, but they are tough to keep sealed even the first time. Unless you are building a race motor or have some specific reason to use solid copper, I'd stay away.

pacotaco

It is marked AE330 and says made in England. Maybe it's not solid copper but I can't tell that it's not. Moss has solid copper for $135 - pretty expensive for me. How do I tell if mine is copper clad?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
AE330 is the Payen part number, so that is a regular composite gasket. The other giveaway is the seams where the copper cladding is folded over. A solid gasket has no joints.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, I gave up on the head gasket and ordered one from Summit,actually 2
Suppose to be composite. Well actually it doesn't say composite, it says something else.
Came today and I will post pics of it and thickness differences from the metal ones.

I have also been looking for oil a pan gasket for the thing.
NOBODY local has one or even in a warehouse with in 10 states.

Even the Rover dealers quit selling them and does not even show in their data bases.
They suggest the "Right Stuff"
That stuff has a proper name.
According to the web it is the real McCoy.
Goes on easy and hopefully will seal good.

Now why is there 2 longer bolts in the bolt bag foir that and whee are the 2 that are also missing.
I hate that .
CRS!!!

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
The two longer bolts go in the back. There is suppose to be a long piece of flat stock with two holes in it to spread the load that go under the longer bolts. Don, I always order my gaskets and internal engine parts from Atlantic British https://www.roverparts.com/ I thought they had an outlet in Washington, but I may be mistaken. The parts I order come out of NYC and are here the next day or two. Just have to be careful going back and forth between 3.5 and 4.0 style engines.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Todd- I had those bolts and the stiffener in another bag.
I installed them and still had 2 longer bolts for some reason