• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Group events

Photography

"The educators choice" ???

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Arista EDU" 35mm B&W film. Got it from Adorama. We'll see what it looks like when processed in T-Max Developer.

Arista.JPG

Absolutely. This emulsion is supposed to be compatible with the Kodak T-Max developer, we'll see what happens. It's likely I'll soup it one roll at a time, anxious to see how it reacts. Only a couple more frames to go in the FE, should shoot those today at the azalea blossoms, close-up, with the 55mm Micro, to set side-by-side with the digital shots.

Well, the results are less-than impressive. Grain is an issue, it seems awful compared to an equivalent T-Max 400 emulsion. Scanned these at max res. with the Epson. The cat shot shows the grain best in the tile background. The azalea shows a nice range in gradation from highlights to deep shadow but again, the grain is objectionable (to me at least). And these are reduced considerably as well, but full frame included.

Ethel295.jpg

Azalea289.jpg

It's back to Kodak for me.

Both those shots were with a Vivitar Series-1 90mm ∱2.5. Cat with wide open, flowers at ∱8 or ∱11.

Another on the same roll, same Vivitar lens:

img299small.jpg

The last time I saw clumpy grain like that was when I shot some Kodak recording film. 1000 ASA. I looked at some other samples of the Arista and it seems it has trouble capturing details to the point it looks out of focus.

I've the FE loaded with some T-Max 100, thinking I may trundle over to Ybor City with that and a DSLR to shoot some street scene "comparables" before the week is out. The remaining roll of Arista 400 can stay in the box...

...or I can send it to one of you guys. Freebie if ya want it to putz with. But unless you have processing capability, it's likely it wouldn't be worth th' cost. ;)

No processing equipment or even a camera. So I'll pass on the offer. Thanks though. Don't forget to set the D7500 to a 100 ISO (or even 50). Tmax is pretty fine grain but with the same lens, I'd be curious if your digital is sharper.

I've the FE loaded with some T-Max 100, thinking I may trundle over to Ybor City with that and a DSLR to shoot some street scene "comparables" before the week is out. The remaining roll of Arista 400 can stay in the box...

...or I can send it to one of you guys. Freebie if ya want it to putz with. But unless you have processing capability, it's likely it wouldn't be worth th' cost. ;)
Thanks but the only processing equipment I have is digital :cool:

No processing equipment or even a camera. So I'll pass on the offer. Thanks though. Don't forget to set the D7500 to a 100 ISO (or even 50). Tmax is pretty fine grain but with the same lens, I'd be curious if your digital is sharper.

The plan would include an ISO set at 100 for the digital, to match (at least "on paper") equivalency. As for the optics, the "old" AiS 35~70mm ∱3.5 Nikkor on the film camera (actually the F-2 has the T-Max loaded), and a close approximation with the DX 17~55mm ∱2.8 on the digital. Another option would be the 50mm prime on the F-2 and a 35mm prime on the digital. But with the zooms it would be simpler to keep horizontal angle-of-acceptance the same between the two though, considering the different frame size ratios.

Should be a good sharpness comparison, a "real world" one as opposed to test charts and the like. And it gets me out-and-about a bit.

And a question WRT the digital: should I set it to record in-camera monochrome or convert later in post? It would seem to me doing the post-process conversion may add some image degradation?
Thoughts?

I forgot about the crop sensor changing your focal length. If I was doing a test, I'd use the AiS lens on both cameras setting it to 35mm on the 7500 and 50ish on the F2.

Since I always shoot RAW, I don't do B&W in camera. RAW still records all the color channels regardless. At least Canon did with some shots I worked on in post. Personally, I feel I have more control working with a color image before converting to B&W. Also, the options are greater for the final image in Darktable (or Lightroom) than what a camera's internal processes hand you.

As far as degradation, I think the scanning process is where that has the greatest chance of happening. If the film holder doesn't keep the negative completely flat, there could be sharpness issues.

Hmm. My concern with swapping a lens between bodies in the wild is it's a bit of extra juggling. If the primes were on them respectively, would that not be an equivalent? Or there's also a DX 18~149mm DX to use on the digital to set at 35mm.

Makes sense WRT in-camera vs. software. Thanks. The shots will be in RAW with the D7500, so they will be converted to B&W with Darktable.

Certainly agree about scanning issues, the filmstrip holders with the Epson don't exactly please me. There's always a bit of a "curve" to the film in them, edge-to-edge sharpness has to be somewhat affected. Haven't tried to find a good work-around yet, it hasn't been a critical issue with the few scans to this point.

For tests, I just like to remove as many variables as possible. For instance, I notice a difference between my 50 and my 58mm on the same camera. Plus you can save weight on the trip with only one lens.:D Just my thoughts.

For tests, I just like to remove as many variables as possible. For instance, I notice a difference between my 50 and my 58mm on the same camera. Plus you can save weight on the trip with only one lens.:D Just my thoughts.
The weight issue is probably less so than the difference in optical characteristics. May do it both ways. Right now we're hearing thunder, so not likely to try today.

And my lack of proof reading has shown up again: No such animal as a DX 18~149!! Rather it's an 18~145... ack.

Makes sense WRT in-camera vs. software. Thanks. The shots will be in RAW with the D7500, so they will be converted to B&W with Darktable.
Here are a couple screen grabs showing the basics of the Monochrome filter to show how it is better than in-camera B&W. The first is a before. Second is the default setting and probably close to what the camera would choose. Third is using the mouse wheel to narrow the filtering range and leaning into the blue. Notice that the shadow on Rebecca's face becomes blotchy. The last shot is more in the red range. The shadow on her face has evened out some and her left side is brighter. One cool thing is using multiple instances of any filter with drawn masks. So here, you could monochrome her face in a redder range and green for the background.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Well, didn't yet get to Ybor, but did shoot a "down the street" shot with both bodies using the AiS at 50mm on the F-2 and 35mm on the D7500. Did the B&W conversion with Darktable as Greg illustrated. Scanned the film neg at 12.8K DPI. Reduced both to post here. Both shots were with ISO 100, 1/125th at ∱8.

NO comparison!!!

Street2mono.jpg

Street8mono.jpg

May run the neg thru the old Pacific 3600 scanner for comparison to the Epson.

Back