• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech The Devil is in the Details! Am I asking too much?

OP
DornTRoriginal

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Thank you everyone for your support and advise, what a ride!

I spent two days documenting the problems including pictures and creating written a punch list of everything I could see on my car that I just know is not correct. I sent everything to the owner of the shop and we had a very long conversation about where we are and what I found wrong and right on my car. It was not a fun conversation by any means and at times it got pretty heated. Two days later he came back to my house with his car hauler and I went over everything on the car, item by item, showing him exactly what I found. It had to have been the hottest day of the year on top of everything else which made looking over everything more enjoyable. After reviewing everything we agreed that all of the items I noted were in fact incorrect and not up to an acceptable standard. He (the body shop owner or BSO) agreed he would repair everything. He also agreed to complete the work utilizing a "British Car" restoration shop as a "consultant" who is located near his shop. They will be the third party inspector and advise the BSO on how everything should be assembled, at no cost to me. I am in the process of checking the British shop's references however I have to do it in an "overt" way as not to imply or create a adverse relationship with this business owner and I want them to be the "experts" and have a good working relationship with my BSO. My agreement with the BSO is that he will order all new parts, unless he is able to locate the missing parts, use the type of hardware I requested and provided to him, re do the interior body work repairs on the tunnel cover, fix the other imperfections including painting all of the interior bolts in the engine compartment, align the body correctly on the car's frame to my satisfaction. All of the work is to be completed by July 18th. I plan to visit the shop and review progress a minimum of three days before delivery, at which time I expect the job to be at least 90% completed. I expect both the BSO and the consultant" to provide me with a completed car that we will all agree has been repaired to an acceptable standard.

The BSO admitting to the mistakes and his willingness to work with me and get it right, I think is in both of our best interest and the best way to finish the project. There seems to me to be a mutual agreement and the knowledge that we can not change what has happened in the past as much as both of would have preferred and just agree to move forward. I/we have accepted that we are going to move forward and in the end it's going to be awesome. The paint job really is tremendous and has exceeded my expectations, it's a matter of getting everything else completed to a similar level. I am hopeful everything will be alright and I will move on with assembly. I hope my future posts will be filled with more gushing and positive comments! I have had way too much drama and heartbreak.

Cheers!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sounds like a big step in the right direction. I look forward to hearing your report on the 18th.

Good Luck
Cheers
Tush