• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Technically advanced Triumphs.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
All I know is, my triumph is the first car I have ever owned that doesnt have power windows, power locks, power steering, fuel injection, or AC. Its my first to have a manual transmission and drum brakes. My first car may not of had air bags, but at least it had hazard lights (which my triumph does not) It doesnt even had a passengerside mirror!!!

...Then again, Im sure the roads and drivers were much safer in 1967. I have noticed that instead of improving on these two things, theyve decided to improve on the vehicles instead. I wonder why they dont allow children to drive... ...with the modern vehicles we have today, its dosnt matter how much of a moron you are... ...it only matters to the poor sucker driving in a vehicle like mine

TR6oldtimer said:
Triumph also invented the self lubricating under carriage, which none have yet mastered.

We had a capri once that I felt came close... ...then again it was Australian built... ...and you know how much they think theyre British =)

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
My first car may not of had air bags, but at least it had hazard lights (which my triumph does not) It doesnt even had a passengerside mirror!!!
Odd about the hazard lights! It should have them, as I believe they were required by Federal law beginning with 1967 cars, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. However, they likely were an add-on at the time, rather than being built into the car's electrical system as they were in subsequent years, and the separate switch and flasher might have been removed by a previous owner.

Similarly, I don't believe passenger-side exterior mirrors were a requirement until much later.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I see woman every day passing me while coming to work using the mirror in their car.

They are talking on the cell, smoke a cigarette and put their makeup while looking in the mirror. I believe they drive with their knee.

D

Deleted member 8987

UmmYeahOk said:
All I know is, my triumph is the first car I have ever owned that doesnt have power windows, power locks, power steering, fuel injection, or AC. Its my first to have a manual transmission and drum brakes. My first car may not of had air bags, but at least it had hazard lights (which my triumph does not) It doesnt even had a passengerside mirror!!!

...Then again, Im sure the roads and drivers were much safer in 1967. I have noticed that instead of improving on these two things, theyve decided to improve on the vehicles instead. I wonder why they dont allow children to drive... ...with the modern vehicles we have today, its dosnt matter how much of a moron you are... ...it only matters to the poor sucker driving in a vehicle like mine

TR6oldtimer said:
Triumph also invented the self lubricating under carriage, which none have yet mastered.

We had a capri once that I felt came close... ...then again it was Australian built... ...and you know how much they think theyre British =)

Most state laws I have looked at (for states I drive through) require two mirrors, one driver's side (which is handy for RHD cars...pits if they say "Left Side") and one inside, if the inside one is blocked it needs a second outside one.

I have driven old cars all my driving career.
Started with the Great Grandmother's 1950 Ford Tudor in 1965.
Had to sell it when I joined the Navy in 68, bout this one (1950 Ford Tudor) in January of 1970.
Manual steering, no power brakes, drums all around, 3 on the tree with overdrive, has the dealer install Ford turn signals, radio and clock.
My 1950 F-1 P/U has manual (TRUCK) steering, three on the floor, no power 4 wheel drum brakes.

My 49 Willys wagon has been upgraded to Mustang II front end with rack and pinion, discs (in front) and a 3/4 race 50 Merc.

But, this LBC I am driving is the absolute first car I have had, for myself and not the wife, with a 4 speed, 4-wheel power assisted discs, factory 12V, and I had to add the outside mirror (I have no idea how the PO drove this thing without any outside mirrors whatsoever).

I thought Flatheads leaked (rope and leather seals), but, geez, this LBC sure keeps the weeds down in the driveway.

Also the first 6-cylinder car I've owned that ran (Willys had a 148 CuIn flathead 6 that was frozen solid and magged at over 50 cracks).

Yet, with all the drippings on the gravel drive, I add a quart after 1,000 miles (maybe 2K).

Funny.

Thought I got looks with the Fords......

Oh....
All the old Fords, the Willys, and this LBC have pushbutton start.....

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
tomgt6 said:
I see woman every day passing me while coming to work using the mirror in their car.

They are talking on the cell, smoke a cigarette and put their makeup while looking in the mirror. I believe they drive with their knee.

I see men do just the same. Yeah, ok, maybe men arent likely to apply makeup in the car, but they replace that activity with other things like shaving, eating, reading, even playing musical instruments.

TOC said:
Most state laws I have looked at (for states I drive through) require two mirrors, one driver's side (which is handy for RHD cars...pits if they say "Left Side") and one inside, if the inside one is blocked it needs a second outside one.

Mine doesnt even have a place for one. I will have to drill it. BTW, any idea on why some cars have fender mirrors and others doors? Because so many pics have GT6s with mirrors on the fender, Im constantly having to remind my husband that mine goes on the door.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Over here the fender mirrors are put on most of the time by choice. I have a GT6, 63 spitfire an Herald that came with door mirrors. I put fender on the gt6 and spitfire because I like the looks better. This just says British sports car to me. When I repaint the Herald I will most likely put on fender mirrors as well. I like my car to look different.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
tomgt6 said:
When I repaint the Herald I will most likely put on fender mirrors as well. I like my car to look different.

As opposed to everything else on the road? Im pretty sure it'll be different no matter what you do to it.

Realizing that NOTHING on my car is powered, Im betting that door mirrors are the right choice for me considering that the mirrors, surprise surprise, arent powered.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think it was 1968 model year when the US requirement for hazard flashers came about, although many US cars had them sooner. The TR250 was the first TR to be so equipped as standard, I believe.

Much later I believe for outside mirrors; and even then they remained a dealer-fitted item on Triumphs, so got located wherever the dealer felt was appropriate. Current law in CA is as TOC says, only two mirrors required, one on the driver's outside and the other either inside or on the passenger outside.

D

Deleted member 8987

Most folks I know with wing-mount mirrors hate them.
They won't say that pubickly, mind you, but privately they will tell you that you cannot see squat out of them, and whereas to change your field of view with window frame or door mount you just move your head a tad, can't do that when the sucker is four feet out.
Yay-whos in parking lots are constantly bumping them, and it's in-and-out-and-in-and-out to re-adjust them.
Mine clamps onto the window/windwing frame.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Can't speak for most folks, and I don't know TOC ... but when I had my choice of where to mount mirrors on the project TR3, I put them on the wings just like my previous TR3A. I do use the ones with convex glass, and people do sometimes bump into them (although I try to position the mirrors as far inboard as possible to minimize the problem).

Yeah, they are kind of inconvenient and quirky ... just like the car. If I wanted convenience and ease, I'd drive a Toyota (or a Buick).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
...and as for passenger-side door mirrors on a GT6, don't bother with a "bullet style" mirror unless you can find one with a larger mirror area than normal and preferably a somewhat convex lens. The typical bullet mirrors found on late 1960s and 1970s Triumphs are almost completely useless on the GT6. Been there, done that, got the holes to fill in someday....

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I'm with Randall. When I restored my TR4A, I also installed convex fender-mounted mirrors and didn't really have a problem with them.

Scott

D

Deleted member 8987

Most guys I talk to have those funny, what, kidney-shaped jobbies.
Haven't seen one of those in convex, that I recall.

Plus, some states only allow magnification on one outside mirror if the main outside is not.

Look in this one down to rearview mirrors.
Unit magnification is "one".

Our state is similar, and most new cars do NOT have "objects closer than they appear" on driver's side mirror.

https://www.dot.nd.gov/public/notices/title-37.pdf

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TOC said:
Most folks I know with wing-mount mirrors hate them.
They won't say that publicly, mind you, but privately they will tell you that you cannot see squat out of them...
Well, that's true enough. And, while I don't actually <span style="font-style: italic">hate</span> them, I am completely aware of their limitations. I recall someone describing the phenomenon as similar to looking through a paper towel roll tube. I agree. But, one can, in fact, learn to use them. I've got to admit, though, that I am not really happy when the load on my luggage rack blocks the view from the (dash mounted!) main mirror. The wing mirrors function (barely) adequately as auxiliary mirrors -- but without the center mirror, they ARE useless.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TOC said:
Haven't seen one of those in convex, that I recall.

Plus, some states only allow magnification on one outside mirror if the main outside is not.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. Wonder if any of them have had that law on the books since 1956?

Here's a link to the convex wing mirrors @ TRF.
https://www.zeni.net/trf/MGB-GC/188.php?s_wt=1680&s_ht=1050

And, not to put too fine a point on it, the section you linked to doesn't apply to stock Triumphs. "The requirements of this chapter shall not supersede the original and unaltered design, construction, or equipment standards of motor vehicles manufactured by a recognized manufacturer."

D

Deleted member 8987

True, and if the TR's came with convex mirrors, and you can document it, you win!

That section refers to restored and "built" cars, near as I can tell from the legalese.

I can do pretty good using one side-view and a central rearview, but this one, with only the central, was a PITA.

I think that's why the driver's door had white post skim marks in it!

BTW, as far as "proving it", when our state enacted emmissions requirements, the maximum and minimums were hard and fast.....except.....if you had a British vehicle and had the documentation to prove that it was accepted for importation with levels outside those specified.

I recall one or two who did do just that.

D

Deleted member 8987

Interestingly enough, California requires vehicles registered in a foreign jurisdiction (near as I can make out, that means any other state) and all motorcycles shall have ONE mirror.
Vehicles registered IN California shall have two.