• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Technically advanced Triumphs.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
When compared with the most advanced contemporary engineering Triumph cars of the 50's and 60's were quite advanced- as examples, it is well known that Triumph was the first manufacturer to offer a volume produced car with disc brakes, first with an entire line of cars with independent rear suspension, and introduced the mechanical fuel injection system about the same time as Maserati on their very exclusive 3500GT series.
When I used to do Solo1 with my wire wheel TR4a there were often expressions of concern about the strength and safety of the wheels. I would point out that wires were used on D type Jags and Ferraris with 250-300 horsepower running for 24 hours at Le Mans, so they should be ok for a few laps on a Triumph.

Actually, Ferrari used wire wheels on the 156 "sharknose" which won the Formula 1 championship in 1961 (Phil Hill) so wires were 4 year old F1 technology when my car was built. How many modern cars can claim that? Carbon brakes? Sequential 7 speed transmission? Locking ratio of your limited slip diff. adjustable from the cockpit? Pneumatically operated valves and a 19,000rpm rev limit?
Didn't think so.......Simon

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
For whatever it's worth, the "Impacto-Scopic" steering column was introduced on the Herald in 1959 and used then on the TR4-6 and all subsequent cars in the "SC" line (Spitfire, GT6 and Vitesse) through 1976. In addition to providing some measure of adjustment, the column also offered some telescopic action on impact (unless adjusted already to the very bottom of travel), apparently enough so that it met Federal requirements of the late 1960s and beyond. Likely this was a fairly early application of such a steering column by a manufacturer.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Also didn't the Herald come with heat, wipers and a few other things as standard equipment. And didn't it also have some new type of bumper system. They claimed in their ad they were 3 years ahead of everyone else.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
tomgt6 said:
Also didn't the Herald come with heat, wipers and a few other things as standard equipment. And didn't it also have some new type of bumper system. They claimed in their ad they were 3 years ahead of everyone else.
Yeah..."3 full engineering years ahead of all other economy cars"!
Herald_12.jpg

Heralds were, for the time, fairly well equipped, at least in the US market. And yes, the white rubber bumper facings (optional on the original Herald in the home market but standard equipment on cars sent to the US) were actually quite practical and useful.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
And the TR4 introduced face level fresh air vents.
And the TR4 introduced the Targa (Surrey) top.
And how many other manufacturers offered 4 valves per cylinder in 1972?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
CinneaghTR said:
... I often get funny looks when people ask me when did I convert my 4A to front disc brakes and I answer that they were stock equipment.

This is my '58 TR3...Oh, the disc brakes?? They came from the factory that way.

I had a fellow Triumph club member who has a TR6, come over my house this last weekend to look at my car since the restoration was completed several months ago. He hadn't seen it yet. He was looking through the wire wheels and asked "Did you put those disc brakes on??" I said "Yes I did put the four piston Toyotas on there. They bolted right on where the originals were." Silence, but he saved face. :smile:

D

Deleted member 8987

I can't think of a "D" or "C" Jag with wires.
All the photos I have of them in-service had solids with knockoffs, no?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
NickMorgan said:
And the TR4 introduced face level fresh air vents...

Which Chrysler later 'invented'

NickMorgan said:
And the TR4 introduced the Targa (Surrey) top...

Which Porsche later 'invented'

OTOH, Triumph was that last manufacturer to produce a rumble seat (dickey seat) showing there was some retro thinking going on too.

D

Deleted member 8987

My Model "A" Ford had face-level fresh-air vents.
Crank the bottom of the windscreen out.....

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Triumph also invented the self lubricating under carriage, which none have yet mastered.

D

Deleted member 8987

TR6oldtimer said:
Triumph also invented the self lubricating under carriage, which none have yet mastered.

FIAT came close.....

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My favorite concept is:
The first production car on the planet to incorporate front disc brakes -- and one of the last to continue to provide a hand-crank start feature.

RobT

Jedi Warrior
For all their technical advances, Triumphs were also one of the last mass production manufacturers to move away from the seperate chassis. Considered a disadvantage back then, but today makes for much easier "body off" restoration.

Rob.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
tomgt6 said:
Yeah..."3 full engineering years ahead of all other economy cars"!

Heralds were, for the time, fairly well equipped, at least in the US market.

And one of the first non-exotic cars with a fully independent suspension system.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mark Jones said:
And one of the first non-exotic cars with a fully independent suspension system.
True. There was, of course, the VW Beetle (which we can't forget) and Renaults such as the Dauphine (which most would like to)! Oh, and the Mini, although one could argue that it was somewhat "exotic" -- at least in the technical sense!

jjw

Don't forget the Stag...

Overhead cam V8 w/aluminum heads, independent suspension at each corner, Macpherson struts up front, disc brakes, unibody construction, etc... All in 1970. Compare that to the average American car of the same vintage...

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Isaiah 13:3
I have commanded my holy ones; I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath— those who rejoice in my Triumph.