• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Steering Wheel Repair

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Group,

I am working on a car that I am trying to keep original. The steering wheel has lost all the plastic; it is just wire at this point.

Do you have instructions for restoring this or a steering wheel sitting in your garage you want to get rid of?

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: Steering wheel

I have a really nice original non adjustable 100-6 or 3000 wheel I would sell for $250+shipping. It has no cracks and a glossy finish. Eric

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Try Healey Surgeons , Amazon and Ebay ??

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Jerry are you in the UBCC I am in RBCC Reno. I will put out to the club about a wheel we have some AH members Madflyer

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag

Yes, I am part of UBSCC. And I am sure if you came to the car show in the last 20 years, you would recognize me. I give out all the trophies!
Jerry

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Yes the RBCC has been to many of the Dixon shows I hope there will be again one day. Madflyer

Gbedford

Freshman Member
Country flag

I recently refinished my steering wheel. It took some time and patience. I used the kit and instructions from Eastwood. It is not perfect, but I am extremely pleased. The included instructions are not clear and a bit out of date. Should anyone decide to go this route, let me know and I will post my more extensive tips. See my before, during, and after photos posted here.

Attachments

• 20201107_142405.jpg
    20201107_142405.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 20201107_145434.jpg
    20201107_145434.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 20201121_105420.jpg
    20201121_105420.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 20201123_055625.jpg
    20201123_055625.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 20201123_055641.jpg
    20201123_055641.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 321

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Jerry,

I have an original wheel that is in need of restoration, but sounds like it's in better shape than the one you have.

Original Wheel Front.jpgOriginal Wheel Back.jpg

Let me know if you want it.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

GBedford, I did something similar to what you did. I used a black colored, two part epoxy milliput with piano wire composite. I also included a record sketch as well for better explanation and viewing of the piano wire concept here. I did this restoration back in 2016 and it has held up pretty well. Some further fine grinding could be done, but all I have done up to now is to use a Sharpie (only in the milliput applied areas) from time to time, to color match the right blackness to the surrounding existing finish. All in all, I am pleased with this approach. (PS.- I decided to include a last photo showing the use of a heat gun (used with care), a technique to restore "flatness" or that is to say, eliminate any 'raised' plastic areas as well). 4 Austin Healey 42842 Steering Wheel Refurbishment 4.JPG5 Austin Healey 42842 Steering Wheel Refurbishment 5.JPG6Austin Healey 42842 Steering Wheel Refurbishment 6.JPG

Attachments

• Helaey Sterring Wheel Sketch (480x640).jpg
    Helaey Sterring Wheel Sketch (480x640).jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 3Austin Healey 42842 Steering Wheel Refurbishment 3.JPG
    3Austin Healey 42842 Steering Wheel Refurbishment 3.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for all the instructions. I had someone call and a used unit is on the way. It needs a little care like you have done above, but in better shape than the one that came with the car. I should post a picture of the wire under the outer ring. I am not sure how all of the plastic is gone.
I did buy parts from New Zealand for my Morris 8. The shipping was as much as the parts! But we did have a great vacation seeing both islands of New Zealand a little over a year ago. I would go back anytime (except for the long flight to get there).
Jerry

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Anyone have a picture of a wheel, or parts of a wheel, with no plastic on it?

With old solid axle Corvettes the cracks usually mean that the underlying weld has broken, and needs to be repaired if the plastic repair is going to hold.
I'm just wondering if the Healey wheels have welds, or how the spokes are held to the outer ring.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This discussion reminds me of when I removed the leather steering wheel cover years ago, all the plastic on the rim had turned to small crumbles. Replaced it with a Moto Lita wood rim that I had lusted after since before I owned the car.

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks. Similar design.

So, a caveat to home steering wheel repairers - if you don't fix the broken weld or the rust, it's just going to crack again.

A good friend of mine is "the" restorer for old Corvette wheels, and I've had a lot of discussions with him regarding repair.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Update on the UBSCC Dixon car show: We have moved the date to September 19th. Mark your calendars and registration will open in June. By that time we should have most people vaccinated and perhaps beat down this pandemic. IF I am really industrious, the Healey I am working on may be there. If not, perhaps I will bring the Morris 8. Not many people have seen a Morris 8 from 1936.
Jerry
Chairman of the show