• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget Celebration of the Midget 50th

nomad

Yoda
Gotta agree with the suggestions for guys coming from the east. We did the SS Badger from Manitiwoc to Ludington and back by way of the UP a few years ago. Also been around the southern end of lake Michigan which I would avoid! I've been told that a route thru Canada above lake Superior beats all.

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
While in Elkhart Lake, Door County, WI is a fabulous place to visit. It's that thumb that sticks out into Lake Michigan. Absolutely beautiful with limestone cliffs with Green Bay on one side and Lake Michigan on other other. It will be on my list to cruise on the way up or the way back from Elkhart Lake. Friday Night Fish Fry at the Sister Bay Bowling Lanes. Used to be the best around.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bill

Another thought might be to add one more day and make it a five day trip You could pick up few sights along the way and make it worth while for Suzanne.

BTW I guess congrats are in order. The last time you talked about Suzanne you referred to her as "girlfriend"

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
I'm planning on driving my '72 from South Florida. I'll go thru Nashville TN and Terre Haute IN, then west of Chicago and on to Elkhart.

I was ot LoO and had a great time, so I don't want to miss this one.

Congrats to Bill L

Phil

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
taskadog said:
I'm planning on driving my '72 from South Florida. I'll go thru Nashville TN and Terre Haute IN, then west of Chicago and on to Elkhart.

I was ot LoO and had a great time, so I don't want to miss this one.

Congrats to Bill L

Phil
I know who you are Phil. I if you come East through NC, I am towing mine and should something happen I can unload mine and load yours on the trailer. We need a proper caravan going on :smile:

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Has the Midget 50th site been updated ? Is there any details available elsewhere ?
I keep checking for confirmed dates etc. but I have seen no updates for months... I want to make plans but want to be sure it's actually happening.
The ferry option would be a good one for me as well, need to look into that for sure.

sswarin

Country flag
My wife and I are planning to go to the Midget 50th. From SE Michigan we'll avoid Chicago by using the Badger. The Michigan MGA people who went to GT-35 last month got a special rate on the Badger. I'll check with my MGA contacts to see what was required to get the deal.

Steve

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know what the special rates would be if you could get them but regular fares weren't bad at all when we crossed on June 28th. It was 59.00 for the minivan, 49.00 each for adults, 24.00 for kids and free for kids under 8 I think. A stateroom is 39.00. Meals on board are buffet and are good too. 7.95 for breakfast buffet and 9.95 for other meals. Staterooms are small, two small bunks (one folds out of the wall), but comfortable.

Attachments

• 22332.jpg
    22332.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 165

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I didn't pick up on BillL's "fiancé" comment!
Very good Bill, she is a real sport (and a great person too!)
BillM

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
scoutll said:
I don't know what the special rates would be if you could get them but regular fares weren't bad at all when we crossed on June 28th. It was 59.00 for the minivan, 49.00 each for adults, 24.00 for kids and free for kids under 8 I think. A stateroom is 39.00. Meals on board are buffet and are good too. 7.95 for breakfast buffet and 9.95 for other meals. Staterooms are small, two small bunks (one folds out of the wall), but comfortable.
I see there is no A/C and my God it looks like you are a Pepsi Rep. LOL Its all good, I would love to do that some time :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Don't need A/C in the middle of Lake Michigan. In June go 1/2 mile offshore and the temps drop into the 50's.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Re; Lake Michigan ferrys;
I have heard there are sometimes issues loading small cars that are low to the ground. My '63 didn't sell last night on ebay and I guess I'm keeping it because I'm not going to give it away. I love it too much. Up side is I get to keep playing with it. My 9 year old is all geeked about the 50th, whether we take the long scenic route or the ferry, either way it would be a once in a lifetime trip for the two of us and I'm starting to get pretty psyched about it. I offered to camp if we took the long way, he loves the camping thing, I hate it but it would be fun. Tough to cram all that on the Midget but if bikers can do it, we can too. It'd fun to show up with camping gear strapped to every surface and the Midget dirty and dusty and haggered, just like God intended.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
RichBall said:
Another thought might be to add one more day and make it a five day trip You could pick up few sights along the way and make it worth while for Suzanne.

The time it takes to get there and back is a factor of the group. If everyone agrees to an extra day, it suits me fine. Her concern is being trapped in a "hot box" with no escape. The towing idea was hers. I've been looking at renting a small SUV from Enterprise. IF (big "if") their rigs are set up for towing, it's certainly within their capability to tow, using Bill M.'s Citation rig and a 1500 lb car.

HEY PHIL, ...Glad to hear you're planning on going again! YIPPEEEEEE! One of the true highlights of LoTO was making your acquaintance.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
jvandyke said:
I offered to camp if we took the long way, he loves the camping thing, I hate it but it would be fun. Tough to cram all that on the Midget but if bikers can do it, we can too. It'd fun to show up with camping gear strapped to every surface and the Midget dirty and dusty and haggered, just like God intended.
I camp off my motorcycle all the time. Camping out of a Spridget would be down right luxury camping.
grin.gif

sswarin

Country flag
ScoutII posted: "I don't know what the special rates would be if you could get them but regular fares weren't bad at all when we crossed on June 28th. It was 59.00 for the minivan, 49.00 each for adults, 24.00 for kids and free for kids under 8 I think. A stateroom is 39.00. Meals on board are buffet and are good too. 7.95 for breakfast buffet and 9.95 for other meals. Staterooms are small, two small bunks (one folds out of the wall), but comfortable."

Your fares are the same or better than the "special prices" negotiated by the MGA guys for GT-35 last month. Someone should still give the SS Badger people a call when the time is closer to the Midget 50th, but we may not see much of a break.

Steve

Yeah, I have something in plans for the SE crowd, not able to go to WI. It would run in conjunction with the Great Scot Car show held at Furman U. in Greenville (normally the first weekend in June), it a wonderful car show venue. The idea is to have a nearby by hotel set up as the host hotel, and folks who want to come in Thurs night, we'd have a hospitality suite there at the hotel, beer and munchies, then Frdiay morning me and David "Gundy" will have a mountian driving tour for you guys, where you can expereicne our personal mountain roads (really good roads) with lunch in the middle of the ride, then the show on Saturday. Of course all of this is wrapped around the Scottish games held at Furman, so lots of stuff to do, well beyond a car show. This is not meant to compete with the WI. event, but a little something for the SE crowd not planning on making a 1000+ mile trip to WI.

Country flag
Hmmm.... I wonder if I could get enough time off to attend both? They are both the same distance for me.

I will definitely be at the Midget 50th in Elkhart Lake. It will draw in a bunch of people that want to travel for a spridget specific event so there will be many there that you can't meet in person elsewhere. I know Jim is planning on the event following a similar format as last time. Hospitality every night, car show, gymkhana, autocross, driving tours, tech sessions, silent auctions, etc. However, it will be a different event as the location and volunteers have changed. I'm going to organize and run the car show portion. I'm attempting to break the typical britcar show mold and make it more suited to the spridget owners. Here is part of the plan:

<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-family: 'Arial'">The car show portion of the “50 Years of Midgets - A Spridget Event” will offer a something for all Spridget owners whether their car is “concours” or “weekend fun car” or “daily driver” or “project car”. In addition to the popular choice awards listed below there will also be a few awards selected by special “judges”.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Preliminary car show awards list</span></span>
The following list of awards is preliminary and subject to change. The winners will be determined by popular vote.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Class Competition</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">1st place, and one or more awards of excellence in each of the following classes:</span>

-Bugeye
-Square body side screen models
-Chrome bumper with roll up windows models
-Rubber bumper models

<span style="font-weight: bold">Open Awards</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">One award in each category</span>

-Best Paint
-Best Bling
-Best Interior
-Most Interesting History
-Tidiest engine bay
-Most clever modification
-Most likely to win a concours event

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fun Awards</span> (participants will be encouraged to campaign for these somewhat self deprecating awards )
<span style="font-style: italic">One award in each Category</span>

-Most road grime
-Tin worm special
-Best Bodge
-Most likely to score last at Concours
-Rattiest interior and weather equipment
-Hard luck award
-Best roadside spares collection
-Filthiest Engine Bay
-Mongrel Award (greatest mix/match of model years and/or other cars)

dfwip

I am about 5 minutes off the 118 exit on the Ohio pike.
Would like to join up with west-bound group (assuming I
am successful twisting my bride's arm AND I finish
the %^#$# car in time.....).

Paul

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:
Hmmm.... I wonder if I could get enough time off to attend both? They are both the same distance for me.

I will definitely be at the Midget 50th in Elkhart Lake. It will draw in a bunch of people that want to travel for a spridget specific event so there will be many there that you can't meet in person elsewhere. I know Jim is planning on the event following a similar format as last time. Hospitality every night, car show, gymkhana, autocross, driving tours, tech sessions, silent auctions, etc. However, it will be a different event as the location and volunteers have changed. I'm going to organize and run the car show portion. I'm attempting to break the typical britcar show mold and make it more suited to the spridget owners. Here is part of the plan:

<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-family: 'Arial'">The car show portion of the “50 Years of Midgets - A Spridget Event” will offer a something for all Spridget owners whether their car is “concours” or “weekend fun car” or “daily driver” or “project car”. In addition to the popular choice awards listed below there will also be a few awards selected by special “judges”.</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Preliminary car show awards list</span></span>
The following list of awards is preliminary and subject to change. The winners will be determined by popular vote.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Class Competition</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">1st place, and one or more awards of excellence in each of the following classes:</span>

-Bugeye
-Square body side screen models
-Chrome bumper with roll up windows models
-Rubber bumper models

<span style="font-weight: bold">Open Awards</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">One award in each category</span>

-Best Paint
-Best Bling
-Best Interior
-Most Interesting History
-Tidiest engine bay
-Most clever modification
-Most likely to win a concours event

<span style="font-weight: bold">Fun Awards</span> (participants will be encouraged to campaign for these somewhat self deprecating awards )
<span style="font-style: italic">One award in each Category</span>

-Most road grime
-Tin worm special
-Best Bodge
-Most likely to score last at Concours
-Rattiest interior and weather equipment
-Hard luck award
-Best roadside spares collection
-Filthiest Engine Bay
-Mongrel Award (greatest mix/match of model years and/or other cars)
Sounds like fun Trevor. I will see you there.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Trev
Now you are having MY kind of car show, I've been happy to win "Worst of Show" a couple of times!!
BillM