• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spridget Celebration of the Midget 50th

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I know it's still a way off, but it's time for me to start
planning the road trip from the Pacific Northwest to Elkhart Lake, WI. We have
three pretty solid commitments from the State of Washington,
a 50% increase from LoTO. No one yet from Oregon, but we're
hoping.

The rough plan is leave June 16th, driving at about 60 mph to
average 50 mph, do a touch over 500 miles a day, and arrive on
the evening of the 19th, with festivities to run from the 20th
to the 24th, the return being the reverse of the procedure. The
route is to run I-90 both ways, with a detour to the Appley
Farm in South Dakota staying there on the 18th.

I figure the stops to be Missoula, Montana, and Gillette,
Wyoming.

Anyone along the route who wants to join up? Anyone along the
route who wants to put us up for a night?

If you're interested, contact me, there's still time to change
the itinerary, as this is preliminary.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I want to go. Early now, but I would be taking US52 and I94 from Northern ND.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Same here but leaving from New Jersey with a few others in the area and we would welcome others in the caravan from PA, Ohio, Indy.
Most likely PA pike and I-80 with a sleep over stop somewhere in Ohio or Indiana.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not exactly clear, we are talking the Wisconsin event right? Hap is doing one in SC also? is this right?

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's the the Elkart Lake Wisconsin Event. Driving from the Seattle area to there is already 2000+ miles, one way. It seems many (definitely not all) from the East Coast think 500 miles is too far in a Spridget, and won't make it to Road America.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I will be going if at all possible. I loved the last one. I will be using the trailer that I have only used once before to tow it up there. I would love to drive it, it can't be any worse than some of the motorcycle trips I go on but I will have the bride with me and there would be no peace in the valley with that sort of distance. We did 300 miles up to Roanoke Va once and her tolerance was wearing thin. Best to tow it and keep happiness.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Just looking at the route for me. I don't really want to go through Gary indiana and chicago and all that. I think I will go farther west and hit I-39 and stop in and visit champaign, Il. I was stationed at an air force base near there in a town called rantoul, base has been closed for a long time now.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My girlfriend/fiance had said that she was going to come, but the thought of 500+ miles a day in a Sprite for 4 days, then hanging out with a bunch of car guys, then 4 MORE days turns out NOT to be her idea of a good time. She had idealized the trip to be a kind of sight seeing leisurely cruise, not the "hammer the freeway" trip that it needs to be. Go figure. Maybe Andrew (my son) will want to come again.

nomad

Yoda
My wife will, at this time, be going. Course we only have one leg of the trip (500 miles). Just did most of the trip the other day in a spridget and enjoyed the stretch thru Wis and eastern Ia greatly. Course I like to stick to the twistie's. You guys ought to take a little time to see some sights!!

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I live 15 minutes away from an Ohio Turnpike interchange. My wife and I would like to join the caravan from here in Ohio. I really enjoyed the LotO without my Sprite so this time with the Sprite the enjoyment will be orders of magnitude higher.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Susan and I will be the third car of the northwest group. We origonaly planned to tow the car behind the motorhome, but after taking a good look at the fuel costs and the fact that my son's family keeps eating away at our trip fund, Susan made the suggestion that WE DRIVE the Midget there instead of towing it. you've got to love a wife that likes Spridgets and is up for a road trip.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You are indeed the third committed (pun intended!) driver. May I presume that you got the letter I sent out to the NOSHITTERS with a cost and time breakdown?

Still no word from either the "listers" or the "BCFers" in Oregon. We're still hoping that Mike B. who has expressed interest, and Jean S. who too has said she is interested will be headed out with us. No word from anyone along the route except Kurt A.

nomad

Yoda
Gotta realize Bill that though there is a lot of pretty country between you west coaster's and me there ain't a lot of people! Need to lure some from the south of you. As Rich said spridgets are cheap to drive and is there any kind of driving that beats driving a spridget!!

Kurt.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like I will be towing the trailer again!
Rich, glad to have you and Susan along!
BillM

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Suzanne, my girlfriend had the idea that perhaps we could TOW the Sprite, and thus drive in Air Conditioned comfort, and have a radio. ... hmmmmm.. I explained that half "fun" (if you call driving in a 90 degree cockpit for 80+ hours fun) is in the driving of the Sprite itself, and that gas costs would balloon from roughly $700 to over $2100, not counting the cost of the rental of a tow rig and trailer. I towed a car cross country behind a Ryder truck, and it wasn't exactly a good time, BUT, it would mean that I get to bring Suzanne, instead of either bringing Andrew or going it alone........again...hmmmm..... If we did rent a tow rig, you wouldn't need to bring the trailer..... glad there's still time to ascertain the best solutions...

hmmmmm....

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I'm secretly hoping I can't sell mine since I really really want to go to this deal. I have a pipe dream to drive up through upper Michigan, across the bridge into the UP, across and back down, making a 80 mile straight line (although across Lake Michigan) into about 800 miles, but man, what a great ride that would be. Maybe MIchigan folks can join that. It beats the heck out of going around the southern tip of Lake Michigan, Gary and Chicago in a Midget......no thanks.

Here's my route, in fact this an editable version of Google maps and anyone else can add pins, notes, pictures, routes, whatever, others could view and plot and make route connections....maybe.
password is midget
scribble maps Midget's 50th

Tom Rynne

Just a reminder for anyone coming from the East side of Lake Michigan.
The Ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee is well worth the trip! You avoid all the nasty driving thru Gary and Chicago and 2 hours across the Lake.

https://www.lake-express.com/
Dam I wish I could remember how to hot link??

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tom Rynne said:
Just a reminder for anyone coming from the East side of Lake Michigan.
The Ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee is well worth the trip! You avoid all the nasty driving thru Gary and Chicago and 2 hours across the Lake.

https://www.lake-express.com/
Dam I wish I could remember how to hot link??

The "SS Badger" From Ludington to Manitowoc is an even greater experience. The last of the old historic steam powered ferries. It takes a little longer than the smaller ferry from Muskegon, but to me is worth it.

Attachments

• 22319.jpg
    22319.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 181

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is the Badger's sister ship "Spartan" which is retired, but sitting next to the Badgers slip in Ludington.

Attachments

• 22320.jpg
    22320.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 179

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Pythias said:
Suzanne, my girlfriend had the idea that perhaps we could TOW the Sprite, and thus drive in Air Conditioned comfort, and have a radio. ... hmmmmm.. I explained that half "fun" (if you call driving in a 90 degree cockpit for 80+ hours fun) is in the driving of the Sprite itself, and that gas costs would balloon from roughly $700 to over $2100, not counting the cost of the rental of a tow rig and trailer. I towed a car cross country behind a Ryder truck, and it wasn't exactly a good time, BUT, it would mean that I get to bring Suzanne, instead of either bringing Andrew or going it alone........again...hmmmm..... If we did rent a tow rig, you wouldn't need to bring the trailer..... glad there's still time to ascertain the best solutions...

hmmmmm....
Eh, towing is not that bad, depending on what you are towing with. I went to the LOTO and towed my midget on a trailer with my 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and got about 21mpg just going 60mph. I don't know what I would have got with the Midget, maybe around 40mpg but I was still having head/overheating problems and didn't want to risk it. I got that problem solved now but I got that trailer to tow the midget and it is about all that trailer can be used for so, now I need an excuse to use it :wink: Plus A/C is nice.