• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So what does a restoration really cost these days?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: So what does a restoration really cost these d

Julian,

I agree with your approach. And there is nothing wrong with using the experienced resources of clubs or VTR, 6-Pack, guys from here to help you look at a car either.

If asked, most experienced guys will at least meet with someone to help them look a car over.

If I wanted to buy a Jag or MG, I'd get someone familiar with those marques to help me.

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

If you want to get into British sportscars, you must answer "yes" to the following two questions--

Can you work on cars?
Do you have a lot of money?

Buy British because you want a car with some soul, was designed by real people, and was built with two hands. Not computerized designed, robot constructed vehicles of today. Also, I don't know here you live, but even a ratty looking TR4 will turn more heads in the Wash DC suburbs than any late model Porsche, Ferrari, or Bentley.

About the costs. When I started my TR3 project 4 years ago I hysterically thought I could do a frame off resto for $6-$8k. Well I'm in at least on the north side of $30k, with only chrome and trim costs to go before getting it on the road. I'll probably spend $1500 for that. Try not to compartmentalize the major costs like the engine, body and paint costs, because that will probably only account for about 50% to 60% of the total restoration. Costs exists everwhere else like seat covers that will run $500, seat springs that will cost $150 a piece, carb rebuilds that will cost $300, horn rebuilds that will cost $100, new rubber that will cost $150, chrome that will cost $1500, and the list goes on and on and on. The term "nickel and dime" comes to mind.

The way I personally rationalize the investment is that the car will be practically new when I am done, and I know that it is done right. I'll know everything about the car, right down to the location of the clips used to hold the stainless steel brake lines to the frame. Also, at the end of the time and money commitment is something, opposed to a hobby where you have nothing but stories like football or golf.

The most important thing, even beyond selecting the "right" car for restoration, is having 1. spousal support for your project, and 2. a realistic assessment of your own skills and tool inventory. A car project will immediately turn sour if you don't have buy-in from the wife. About your skills and tools, if you don't have the skills, then you will have to pay someone for them, which aren't cheap, and about the tools --neither are these. A decent welder will be $450, wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers will be several hundred dollars.

About the right car to purchase. Spend more than you want to, but not less than you should have to. When I bought mine, I had a pyschological barrier to the $5k mark -- I could have spent $8k for one that was in infinetely better shape, but for some reason I wouldn't. That was a big mistake. In the end, the cheaper car needed much more and costs alot more in total restoration costs. Buy the most car you can possibly afford.

It is a very expensive hobby, but I think in my situation it is therapy.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

Well said, Mkutz.

When I started my TR search, I'd rule anything off my list that needed body/frame work. I have wrenches and wrench experience. I have no lift, cutting, welding or body work experience. And I have a *very* tight budget.

Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'd rule anything off my list that needed body/frame work [/QUOTE]

Tom,

That is probably the key to success with getting one of these, if you plan to do a lot yourself.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
To me that TR4A looks like a nice car to restore, I was looking at it myself, however, if your friend is planning on paying someone to do all the work, as others have said it would be better to find a car closer to ready to go.

But if you could do all or most of the work yourself that looks like a decent car to start with, rockers are kind of a pain to replace, none of the rest looks too bad.

Greg

T

Tinster

Mkutz said:
Buy British because you want a car with some soul; even a ratty looking TR4 will turn more heads (<span style="color: #CC0000">anywhere</span>)than any late model Porsche, Ferrari, or Bentley.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Even non-mechanic dale</span>
know that it is done right. I'll know everything about the car, right down to the location of the clips used to hold the stainless steel brake lines to the frame.

The most important thing, even beyond selecting the "right" car for restoration, is having 1. spousal support for your project,

Yupper on the wife comment!! When the Mrs is fairly
certain I've burned thru another $5,000. she books a
caribbean cruise as HER reward for my hard work. I've
been on many cruises this past 2 years!!

d /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

jessebogan

Jedi Knight

In a weird sort of way, the restoration cost seems to approach what any given car would cost if it were available new, right now. Surely a new produced right now TR3 would be around 30K. The other "rule of thumb" is to take your worst case preliminary estimate, and at least double it. I have bought a lot of POS cars in my day (have owned over 100 at this point) Because I am skilled at mechanical work, many of those have gone on to a new life. I am no good at welding/bodywork, so that always figures into whether or not I buy a car. I know what it costs to get good work done, though, so I have learned to walk away if necessary. Therte are a lot of LBCs left (exporting aside), so with patience, a decent starting point can usually be found. I am way into a Corvair project. The car was FREE, the welding was done, but the entire rest of the car was in boxes. No suspension even. This is a great car for me, as I can make it exactly like I want it, but it still consumes money and time, little of which I have to spend on it.In the end, it will never be worth what I have in it, but I will have a "new" car built exactly to my specifications. How can you go wrong??

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Jesse,

What year Corvair? I had a 66 Monza convertible, 4 carb, 4 speed that I loved.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight

67 coupe, haven't decided just how the powertrain is going to work out.I have a bunch of powerglides, and 1 four speed. The car is/was an automatic, and I need a 4 speed parts car to convert. I have a Porsche 5 speed though..... I may get to running as a PG car, and convert later. I will be happy to get it on 4 wheels(almost there) as it will be the first time since 84 that the car has been a roller. It is like putting together a giant model. Clean, paint, replace parts as required, and assemble!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

My first 1966 was a blue coupe with PG. It was nice, but the 4 speed with 4 carbs was sooooo much better.

G

Did they ever do anything about that hideous fan belt???

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Yes, Bill, they did. They sold many spares to carry as replacements.

Tinster would have loved a Corvair. All that room up front for spare parts.

Come to think of it, I think that he had a Monza as well.

T

Tinster

Yeah, Paul!!

I owned a 1962 Corvair Monza Spyder. Black with red bucket
seats interior. I got quite skilled with a 9/16" wrench and
fanbelts. The car's cornering capability was only exceeded
by my 'Ropa.

The Corvair plowed thru the heavy snows on western
Pennsylvania. It groaned up the mountains and tended to
overheat doing so.

The Corvair was a fun car to drive in PA, while going to
university..

d

stever_sl

DougF said:
A gentleman in our club once commented, "I ought to give the car and $2,500 away and remain ahead of the game".

It's a tad off-topic but I once bought a 52 DeSoto that "ran when parked," and after a few years of frustration literally gave it away, just so I'd never have to see it again. Come to think of it, I worked the same deal on a Midget too, and my ex sold an AH 3000 BN7 (triple carbs -- fairly rare car) for $250 while I was out of state on a temp job...I think I may be doing this whole car thing wrong...

Steve Richardson
St Louis MO
76 TR7 (original owner)
50 Dodge Wayfarer

toysrrus

Yoda

WOW; 70 some odd posts here!

Well; I guess your friend should get the picture!

I really can`t add any more "Stuff" here!

Best Wishes,

Russ

G

BOXoROCKS said:
Bill, what do you mean....weird clank?

I had posted this in an earlier posting. When I start the engine, there is a strange clanking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the short block. Gonna put it up the air today and change my thrust washers, there is a little too much play there. The clank goes away after the engine begins to warm up.

RobT

Jedi Warrior

Tinster said:
The car's cornering capability was only exceeded
by my 'Ropa.

Dale - you used to own a Europa?! I'm sure there's a tale or too there. Do tell more.

Rob.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior

After 5 years of blood/sweat/tears...my restoration is COMPLETE and free of expense...I can & have been free of that worry & now drive FREE!,,WHOO!RA!(Semper Fi)...BUT the costs were in the neighborhood of $8000.00 to $9000.00(50% paid by the PO the other 50% by me.
KensWhitelightning
(PS;And its still being upgraded)

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Ken,

Please continue to savor the moments, for they are few and far between.

Reality will be along soon, with cup in hand, to knock on your wallet once again.