• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Small Victories.....for Mac

kstanley44

Country flag
Hi JP,

Looking good. We are at similar places right now. As John suggested I am swapping out the plexiglas lid for glass on my blasting cabinet. Hard to see!!
My bumper brackets from 62 TR3b also have the welded on nut.
What are you folks using for paint on the small suspension pieces? Using a spray gun or just using rattle cans?
Take care,

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Two more hours on Tuesday night to turn this into this picture below... I have to start painting soon

34666367296_13df829aaa_z.jpg

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The object of today's battle was two fold, get the broken bump stop mount off. If you recall the bottom bolt just broke free in the mount but was fused to the mount it self. Well some precise grinding and punching it broke free. It is funny how fifty plus years can degrade unprotected metal.

34975580525_3e12d3bd54_d.jpg

I then turned my attention to painting parts. Well my speed is not as quick as some of the others on here which taught a valuable lesson about flash rust. Yep most of my parts were showing the love, so called a friend to borrow his media cabinet and do some quick clean up. now I have a lot of painting to do and parts inspections.

34975580365_daebdaf968_z_d.jpg

My buddy Alan was assisting with some cleanup and one of the lower a arms had quite a bow in it so I mentioned I might need to source a piece. He countered that other than the bow it looked quite good. Alan walked over and that it when I learned the amazing qualities of a 20 ton press. Yes this part is straight now and ready for paint. But pictured below is a trunnion that I think will need to go:

what do you think??

34935038236_9c0a9b245a_z_d.jpg

This week is clean, prime, paint and sort. Next is wrap and stack as done, finish removing the rest of the cable systems/lines on the frame. Did I talk about trying to look for 16 gauge metal and Alan handed over a nice sheet to help with my process. Still need to get a gas bottle. That was my few days.......

34169276043_d3390a5630_z_d.jpg

You have to love that new paint process. More to follow

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Progress! Yep, the trunnion shaft is toast. Supposedly they can be replaced, but I have yet to get one to budge, let alone drive out of the trunnion. Where the trunnions especially wear is the threaded hole for the vertical link. The link should have very little play in the trunnion. If it moves enough to make an audible click when you wiggle them...then they are worn out.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey my inexperience is killing me with flash rust. I can't get things painted quick enough. I either have to work in smaller batches or take suggestions on how to preserve the part while it is sandblasted before paint? What do you do?

I have parts hanging everywhere and spares coming in by mail..thanks Marv. I am ready to finish these, pack them up and move on to frame work.

The second coat of black is on, then clear. Also primed a few more pieces

Got a car show this weekend so it may be a tad slow...we shall see.
34897283512_1707a7b264_z_d.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's funny...I've got a bunch of the same little "S" shaped hooks laying around everywhere!

I've said it before, I have become spoiled here in the desert humidity of central Texas. I have blasted panels and set them aside for over a year, and gotten absolutely no surface rust. It all has to do with humidity. Here it is always below 40%. I grew up in New Orleans, with an average humidity of 90%. I could not leave a part overnight in New Orleans or it would have a dusting of rust in the morning.

The only real options are to spray them with oil or paint immediately after you strip them. Of the 2, oil would require you to clean them again later before you spray them with paint. Another option I have used is to rinse the blasted parts in a bucket of kerosene. The kerosene cleans the sand residue off the parts and leaves a film that slows rust for a short while. I found that the kerosene film screws up the expensive paints...like Rustoleum. But, the super cheap line of cans sold at Home Depot and Lowes (the $1 a can rattle cans) goes right over the kerosene film with no problem at all.

I am REALLY enjoying watching someone else work...keep it up!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
What I try to do is set my self a small goal of parts to get blasted in a specific timeframe....I alot time at the end of this for cleaning and prepping for paint...them before I go in for the night, I prime and do 2-3 top coats. That way, I can let them dry overnight, pack them away the next day and start a new batch...

For me it depends on the time of year as well...in winter and early spring when there is low humidity, I can risk it and do larger groups of parts without priming and painting immediately. Once summer hits, with the higher humidity, I do what's mentioned above to prevent the flash rusting...

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Oh, I notice the grease fittings are still in the lower arms. Did you tape off the inside of the bronze bushings before you blasted? If not, the sand will get in the end of the fittings and come out in your new rebuild. I remove the fittings for the blasting, and if I can't for some reason, I clean them out with about 10 pumps of the grease gun.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have been painting a little day by day and trying to pack up the reassembled dry parts. I would post more pictures but who wants to watch paint dry. Well other than me. So this weekend will be slow because I need to drive 500 Miles to retrieve a kid from My Moms house. Add the fact I was detailed at work to a new position and I have been trying to get on task with this job. What does that have to do with Triumphs??? A lot if I have the potential to move over and get a pay raise..... buy more Triumph parts quicker.

Later JP