• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side Exit 1960's Style Exhaust on my BJ8

Jeffsbj8

Country flag
I am intrested inturning back time ( in my head only) and installing a side exiting exhaust similar to the old school Stebro.Does anyone know what type of muffler would work. I am a little red neck @ heart and would like glass packs. A brand and part # would be great. thanks , Jeff

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well you can still get a stebro but its costly or you can go overseas to one of the uk sources not sure about your finances

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Jeff,

Go online to Summit racing....they have a large selection of racing items there...Im sure you can build yourself a really nice custom exhaust from what they offer there. For Cheap!!!! Many British car restorers often forget about this place!:eagerness:

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Jeff,
You could try AH Spares as believe they have a side exhaust for the BJ8 and muffler/s as well. Sourced my side exhaust for my 100M from them and works and sounds great. Of course I had a set of period headers already so had the benefit of dual outlet down pipes to match up to dual inlet and outlet muffler with their side exhaust.
Regards,
Mike

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I built a side pipe proof-of-concept by using my Moss muffler and fabbing some clamp-on side pipes from the bent pipe pieces they sell at the auto-parts store.
IMHO it was extremely loud. Lasted about a day with that.

A year or two ago I rode in a BN7 with a Stebro side exhaust. It was only very loud. Still too loud for continuous use, IMHO.
100-4s are a lot quieter than sixes with side pipes.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I built my side exhaust.... used the regular Moss replacement muffler.. got some exhaust pipe with 45 deg angles, welded up some connectors and made a new hanger. They exited right in front of the left rear tire just like the Works cars. It worked great but as already stated on this thread it was pretty loud (even with a stock muffler). It was fun for about 20 minutes per drive.... then, not so much.

I wanted to keep the Works "look" but reduce the volume so I moved them behind the wheel. The difference is significant... still a nice sound, but with the extra pipe length and with them behind the rear wheel it's much quieter at speed.... love it now. FWIW

IMG_1553 Small 50.jpg

Cheers,
Steve
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
if you want i have a monza exhaust with added walker glasspacks nev130.jpger used it you would130.jpg130.jpg need to do alittle welding

Chris_Masucci

FYI, for those building your own exhaust system, I have found Columbia River Mandrel Bending to be a good source. I built a system using dual 1 7/8" piping and 4 Smithys glasspacks in the standard routing for my BJ8.

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In '85 when I went to see a local '65 BJ8 first thing I noticed was Stebro side exhaust and immediately thought "doomed--I have to buy it." It is plenty loud, when bro visiting and decided to find one himself he asked me if his would be that loud--too loud for him. Live in small beach town and when turning off main drag onto Pac Coast Hwy, double clutch throttle blip (3rd to 2nd) with cop next to me got me pulled over--turned out okay.
Jay, '65 3000 (Houston, New Orleans 40's-60s, can take the red neck out of bayou country but can't take bayou country out of the red neck).

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve -

That's a nice solution, your cars waaay to nice not to drive often. I fabricated my race side exit exhaust system using Spintech's ultra low provide all steel race muffler and custom oval tubing and Y-connector. This allowed me to design the whole unit to run parallel with the lower edge of the chassis rail and with the car lowered an additional 1.5", I have no ground clearance to spare. Starting with 2.25" round tubing from the headers, it mandrel bends to the Y-connector which transitions to 4" oval in the muffler, then exits with twin 4" ovals in front of the rear wheel. Ear plugs are a must for anything other then a quick spin around the block. The neighbors frown.... urrrrr moms do, kids and dads are all thumbs up. :cool:

Here's the link to Spintech's street series mufflers:https://www.spintechmufflers.com/mu...tsman-street-3000xlf-low-profile-/cat_26.html

https:// DSC09377 by dougescriva, on Flickr

https:// Big Healey Racer by dougescriva, on Flickr

Last edited:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I bought my BT7 in 1963, it had the exhaust modified to exit in front of the left rear wheel. I was 17 years old and thought the sound of loud pipes was pretty cool. I do remember the times when, after partying the night before and driving 5 hours back to college, that those loud side pipes were just not quite so cool. I have long since changed it back to the original set up and am much happier with the relative quiet of the stock system.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have the stock replacement muffler and had a muffler shop bend a couple of exit pipes at a 60-deg angle. I cut each to the proper length and welded a hanger on top. If I drive for any length of time I put an earplug in my left ear.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Re - RJC157's modified Monza pipes: Are you currently using this?

Looks like the glasspacks would be right under the axle and would have ground clearance issues.

I'm interested because I'm currently using a Monza and it's quite loud. Earplugs all the time.

hmj6854

Country flag
I had a Stebro side exhaust unit on my BJ8 from '76-about '80 and enjoyed it. When I was restoring my car in the late '90s Stebro was no longer importing into the US and used a system through a vendor no longer in operation. A few years ago I noticed that Stebro was back in the US (via Canada) and purchased a system-just in case. This past summer I needed it to replace the unit I had on. It has been a terrible experience with a defective sound (I think from the front silencer). I have been in contact with the Canadian Stebro importer who basically keeps telling me the replacment is "in the mail" but has yet to arrive-waiting since August! The unit shown on AH Spares and A Head 4 Healeys is also available from Autofarm Limited in Canada. I would avoid dealing with Stebro at all costs!

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Jeff--

Whatever you do don't throw away your present system or do any mods that would make it difficult to go back. I decided a few years back that I too wanted to recreate my Healey youth and installed a side exhaust on the 100.

The flames and popping on backing down was way cool but the noise level was loud. Even with my advanced state of hearing loss the noise was just too much and after about six months I went back to a rear exit. I do have a DW head with the larger bore exhaust manifold and piping and that may have contributed to the problem.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I've been planning to fit a side exhaust to my BJ8 too, but want to fit as large a muffler as will fit. I just want to get rid of the pipes rear of the axle. The current pipes are fouling the telescopic shock kit i have waiting to fit.

I thought this set from AH Spares looked pretty good - but its hard to tell how long those mufflers are?