• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shop LIighting

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I decided to post a new thread succeeding my Shop Size query, which produced lots of valuable replies. Here it is so far, 24 x 36, the max budget would allow. (Actually roof sheathing is done now too).
attachment.php

I have 200 amp service delivered underground and plan to run wiring for a generous number of 110 outlets through conduit on the outside of sheetrock. There will be 3 220 outlets wired the same way plus hardwire to compressor.
The part I'm wondering about is the overhead lighting. I'll be relying pretty much on electric lighting as there is very little sunlight available. Budget will not allow LED so probably will need to stick with old school florescent unless someone can suggest a better option. Also interested in thoughts on size and number of lights. Your insights again will be appreciated.
Tom

Attachments

• garage 8 31 15 (1).jpg
    garage 8 31 15 (1).jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 137

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow, you're gonna love that. As for lighting, I really don't see how you can beat traditional flourescents in a shop. Just add plenty of them. Remodeling living room a few years ago, the lighting guy's suggestion was, "We never had anyone say they had too many lights." The older I get, the more that rings true. Just put on multiple switched circuits so you don't have to run all of them all the time.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
As for lighting, I really don't see how you can beat traditional flourescents in a shop. Just add plenty of them.

Thanks for the reply. My first thought was for 2 continuous rows of 2 bulb 8' units. Probably not enough? I guess the budget could handle 2 more rows. The distance between the rows would be a bit under 6 feet, less if the edge rows were set back from the walls. Enough?

Tom

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As well as from above it is nice to have a few pointing from the sides. They can be portable on a roll around rack. Drop lights can work underneath.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I installed surface mount 4' tube fluorescent fixtures in my garage 20+ years ago. But looking around today, if I had to do it again, LED equivalents are either about the same price or less expensive.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My garage is 28X32 and lighting is 1 row the 32 length in 24' with 8' bulbs tied together suspended 2' from ceiling over the 16' workbench. Then a 4' space with 2 of the 8' sections centered parallel for back light to bench and underhood lighting. Then I have 6 of the 8' sections mounted on ceiling width wise. 24' section centered over bays on 3' centers. Use the 75W grocery/supermarket bulbs for best light for paint and body let alone right light. I accidently replaced burnt out bulbs with energy efficient 60W and regret it as light not as bright, but not going to throw away $200 in bulbs.

healeylvr57

Country flag
have you considered a few skylights they provide free light my 7500 sq ft commercial building had 8 along with 16 halogen fixtures and many days didn't have to use them at all.
attachment.php

Attachments

• cruise2012 iolta 017.jpg
    cruise2012 iolta 017.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 118

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I like the idea. Just were not available in what I could afford back then. I like the ones they have that are mirrored for kitchens and hallways now too.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had skylight panels installed in my shop and the light they let in is amazing. Took a while to get used to the fact that the lights weren't on when leaving the shop. They are a worthwhile investment, keeping the electric light bill at a minimum. PJ

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
have you considered a few skylights they provide free light
I have "attic trusses" that provide 12 x 36 foot storage area above the shop. I may put a couple of skylights up there, though, and omit wires and lights in that area completely. Thanks.
Tom

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My garage is 28X32 and lighting is 1 row the 32 length in 24' with 8' bulbs tied together suspended 2' from ceiling over the 16' workbench. Then a 4' space with 2 of the 8' sections centered parallel for back light to bench and underhood lighting. Then I have 6 of the 8' sections mounted on ceiling width wise. 24' section centered over bays on 3' centers. Use the 75W grocery/supermarket bulbs for best light for paint and body let alone right light. I accidently replaced burnt out bulbs with energy efficient 60W and regret it as light not as bright, but not going to throw away $200 in bulbs.
Thanks, Larry. If I read this right, you have 11 8' fixtures perhaps with double bulbs. While not as strategically placed, my plan would allow for 8 fixtures in 2 rows and 16 in 4 rows. Perhaps 3 rows would be a good compromise.
Also plan a couple of 4 foot fixtures over the workbench, the same as my present workshop.
Tom

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I installed surface mount 4' tube fluorescent fixtures in my garage 20+ years ago. But looking around today, if I had to do it again, LED equivalents are either about the same price or less expensive.

My research shows 8 ft LED tubes alone range from $50 to $80 each. I'm not all that familiar with led technology, though. Perhaps there are other LED options?
Tom

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I was uncertain about the lighting also, so I told the electrician to install switched 110 outlets in the ceiling every 6 feet or so, along with a few non-switched outlets. I've since just hung florescents where I needed them and just plugged them in. For the workbench areas I had to augment the overheads with under-counter and various moveable task lights.

I've found that the low-energy florescents (the one with the thinner tubes) fail frequently (maybe cold weather?) and now use only the fatter ones.

Looks like you're building a great shop!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
If you go fluorescent, ones with a class A sound rating on the ballast are the way to go. They are silent.

On the LED front, there are many more options than 8 footers. 4 foot can be as cheap as $10. Some are direct wire though, which means you would bypass the ballast if you put them in a fluorescent fixture. Cheaper to just install some tombstones and have no fixture. The LEDs don't need a reflector since they only shine 180 degrees (there is a dark side of the tube).