• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shipping Costs

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I just received an order from Victoria British - total of parts was around $360 at my cost...shipping to me was $30...box weighed 5 pounds....VB charges freight based on value of order, not weight of box regardless of whether a person is paying 'retail' or is a dealer.

I charge my customers exact shipping costs from the factory to them. So, on that order, after adding the $8.28 it cost to send the order on to the customer from me to what the exact shipping charges should've been from the factory to me (a little under $10), I ate about $20 in shipping!

Moss charges me, as a distributor, the exact cost of shipping plus $1 per box (unless the order is $500 or more & then I eat the shipping - my business decision.). I don't have a problem with those charges or with passing them on to you. I do have a problem with people making a profit on shipping!

So, unless you guys really want VB parts, I'm going to substitute with Moss parts & will only use VB when Moss is out of stock.

Normally, I only order from VB when you send me VB numbers; however, I can't continue to eat VB's shipping costs.

Your parts prices will still be the same regardless of where I get the part. You won't see any difference in shipping costs or service, just more Moss parts unless you specify that you want VB; & I have conversion tables so I can easily convert the parts numbers so you don't have to do anything different than you've always done.

Just wanted you to know.

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
That also seems to be a growing Ebay income source ,

I know what it costs to ship a part , the ebay sellers often add $5-$10 on the cost

I always ask about shipping before I bid on Ebay ,

Beaulieu

Country flag
The suppliers to my business charge for packaging in re used boxes. Plus postage. Some charge a "fuel surcharge" on my bill at the end ofthe month. Do you pass that on and [censored] off the next guy down the line? It ain't what it use to be.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I charge "exact" shipping costs - nothing more....that's why I don't particularly like the way they do it as I have to pass it on...& another reason why I try to do large, combined orders from warehouse to me: it saves shipping costs.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Tony, I have had the same problem in the past. I too am a Moss distributor and find that their customer sevice to be tops. I only deal with VB as a last resort as their order takers are just operators and have no idea about vehicles. Plus, Moss is only one day UPS away from me!
Cheers, David.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
Tony......

IF you are a contracted UPS shipper you can request VB to send your orders FREIGHT COLLECT (collect billing)
and the ACTUAL shipping costs are charged to your UPS account.....and not the inflated shipping costs. BUT.....it MAY be VB's policy to not do collect billing.

but now isn't VB's freight policy on wholesale orders $500 or more is FFA via UPS ? We do only one or two orders a year w/ VB and might not be up on thier latest.

Moss had a policy change a few years ago and tried to pull the $ amount/charge on us....after a lot of haggling they changed us to actual UPS. The used to have free freight up until that time, as they would ship out of CARS in Los Angeles.

I believe also that Fedex can collect bill.

There is a real groundswell of collect billing ...many of our customers over the last 2 years have requested it from us because of vendors charging excessive shipping rates over and above the UPS or Fedex contracted rates. We do charge $1.00 extra which pays for the invoice postage.

Dont forget tho....the FSC (fuel surcharge) varies from month to month and can really add up.

This whole freight overcharge crapola deal realy comes home when you buy a shirt mail order.....a $15 shirt and $10 shipping and "handling"......make a good case for going to the store your self....

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moss charges meactual shipping cost plus $1 per box...any order at my cost that is over $600 is free shipping....VB charges everybody based on value of order & they won't do collect (I actually think they try to make money off shipping)....I even asked them to use my account for billing.

You've got to understand: they really don't like doing busins with guys like me because we lower their profit margin.