• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shifter Cupola for Datsun 5 speed

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jeff (known here as 67hardtop) has created a fibreglas duplicate of the BE shifter cupola in fibreglas, but an inch lower. It takes the standard BE shifter boot, but is now low enough to allow the five speed to be shifted without interference.
You can see the original metal, primrose yellow, version and the rattle can painted fibreglas semi-clone. Apologies, but the only photo if have of it installed is in the white, unpainted, protoype form. Jeff's looking into producing more if there's interest. It works well on our yellow 59, and we'll put one in on the 60 Silver BE as well.
DSC_0715.jpgDSC_0718.jpg DSC_0721.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So I'm interested. What mods are needed to shifter then other than shortening. Or is it still necessary to cut and reweld the shifter?

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The shifter in the photo just followed the Rivergate recommendations for shortening and rewelding - if memory serves, I'd sent it down to Rivergate and they did the modification. The pivot point will stay the same irrespective of what is done to the shifter, so I expect any modification that offsets the shifter the same as the Rivergate recommendations would work just fine.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
k Thanks.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim - Jeff will be over tomorrow and I'll chat with him regards the feasibility of something that would work without welding in the offset shift lever. Just went out in the dark, and it feels like the shifter 'hole' could be moved over a 1/4", but the offset is more like half an inch. But we'll fool around in the daylight. DOug

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If you want to get the shifter in the middle of the opening, it needs to be offset at least the width of the base of the shift lever. Whether that's done by bending or cutting is somewhat a matter of choice, but if bending, you'll still be left with a lever that is at least 2-3 inches longer. That'll mean banging your knuckles on the dash. I suppose you could move the hole over, but that will definitely not appear to be stock, whereas the current approach probably won't catch too much attention as being odd.

Jim - Jeff will be over tomorrow and I'll chat with him regards the feasibility of something that would work without welding in the offset shift lever. Just went out in the dark, and it feels like the shifter 'hole' could be moved over a 1/4", but the offset is more like half an inch. But we'll fool around in the daylight. DOug

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is a project that I had intended to do with my neighbor who is a fiberglass guy. We were going to take the mold off the metal one I have in my car. Years ago I had it shortened that same 1". Next the hole was filled in and we moved it forward by I can't remember how much, and slightly enlarged it. I had that hole cut to fit the big Healey shift boot, but it turned out to be too stiff and I think I have one from an MG of some sort in there now.... works perfectly.

I'm glad someone has done this in finally. We've all wondered what to do, or come up with different solutions, but this is all but undetectable except by a Spridget pedant once installed and painted.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jeff and I had a look-see this morning, and our conclusion was that making the cupola wider etc. etc. etc. was feasible (remove the flange from the driver's side but leave the fore and aft flanges for mounting, but have the driver's side come down on top of the carpeting), but that there probably a couple of better options that would retain the stock look (for those who would prefer to stick with shortening the Datsun lever only, and not cutting and offsetting it:
1 - drill out the spot welds holding the 'lipped' portion to the transmission tunnel and move it sideways so that the cupola would work, and then reweld. Premade/precut carpeting wouldn't match
2 - cut an aluminum spacer to fit around the 'lip' and then slide the cupola sideways. This would raise the cupola about a quarter inch - we'll have a look at this approach in a month or so when we get to the second BE to see if the shifter would still work; carpeting issue
3 - cut the lip off/pound it flat/whatever and move the cupola sideways and mount it; carpeting issue

We think (no measurements involved here) that all of the above would work, without leaving a gaping hole on the right side of the shifter opening

And this would allow owners to put an extension on the Datsun shifter to get it up to the top of the windshield and then install one of 'Big Daddy" Ed Roth's "Rat Fink" shifter knobs on it for the coolest ape hanging shifter known to the 1960s man.

67hardtop

Freshman Member
I should have parts in hand this week. Just finishing the plug and then the mold.
$75.00 cdn plus shipping should cover it.
Thanks
Jeff

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jeff,
Ive got an extra, but the fiberglass idea sounds good to me. Do you take PayPal and what would be the US cost with shipping to 35406?
Thanks, Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jeff,
PM sent with shipping info.
Thanks, Rut

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Might be interested... but still exploring options in the coming week.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jeff,

I'm interested if you want to make one more.

67hardtop

Freshman Member
I have three ready to ship(finally). I have more in process but the current temperature in Calgary is slowing my progress (small fortune to heat a 900 foot garage when its-20c to -31c /-24f) and my wife wont let me lay up fiberglass in the house, go figure. Upside is , I have the process sorted out so I will be quicker on the next bunch.
cupola.JPGcupola2.JPG

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
They look great! I'm still in "wait mode" (with the drive-train with modified stick about to go back in). Cold here too... but nothing like Calgary!

67hardtop

Freshman Member
They are not perfect but they will do the job. I will make a few extras for you "wait mode" types and I can make more just about anytime.
Jeff