• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shift Levers for Datsun 210 5 speeds????

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Much to my embarrassment and frustatrion: it appears that I've got

a - two Bug-eye Sprites
b - one fully functional Sprite smooth case transmission
c - two Datsun 210 5 speed transmissions
d - two Rivergate conversion kits
e - one (1) Sprite shift lever
f - zero (0) Datsun shift levers
g - miscellaneous Sprite transmisson parts, but no additional shift levers for Sprites or Datsuns

If you've got a Datusn 210 shift lever from a 4 speed or a 5 speed (Rivergate advises that they are the same), kindly send a PM.

I picked up the two Datsun 5 speeds over the years and was out it in the garage tonight, but no gol-danged shift levers! Frustration! Embarrassment! Rivergate has advised that they might be getting some in, and that the 4 speed lever works just find, but....

Thanks,

Doug

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have one, but it is missing the plastic bushing on the transmission end. I'll see if I can dig it up for you (it's buried in a box somewhere).

BTW....the 4 speed levers are the came as the 5-sp ones.....I had two side by side and they are identical.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
mrsprite said:
BTW....the 4 speed levers are the came as the 5-sp ones.....I had two side by side and they are identical.

well of course they are the same on the sides, but where you really need to check is the ends. One should have a little more more length to the right (or the left if it is upside down) to allow for the extra gear.

:jester:

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
mrsprite said:
I have one, but it is missing the plastic bushing on the transmission end. I'll see if I can dig it up for you (it's buried in a box somewhere).

The 3 plastic bushings are still available new from Nissan. There are 2 for the through bolt and one cup-like bushing on the very end of the shifter.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have two '78 Datsun B210's - 4speed,& 5 speed.
The shifters are different from each other.

- Doug

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good Grief! All these years, I'd assumed that the Japanase manufacturers weren't as 'interesting' in their mixing and matching of parts as Ye Olde Brits! Another dream shattered....

Mr Sprite - I'd appreciate anything you could find; thanks for the bushing info, Westfield XI - that's really good to know. And thanks for raising my level of confusion Doug!

Later,

Doug

RickB

Yoda
twas_brillig said:
Good Grief! All these years, I'd assumed that the Japanase manufacturers weren't as 'interesting' in their mixing and matching of parts as Ye Olde Brits! Another dream shattered....

Mr Sprite - I'd appreciate anything you could find; thanks for the bushing info, Westfield XI - that's really good to know. And thanks for raising my level of confusion Doug!

Later,

Doug

Heh - who do you think they learned it from???

My two shift levers are different in that the one in my car is cut down to about 6 or 7 inches long and the one that came with my 5 speed is about twice as long.

The 4 speed shift lever (the short one) seems identical on the business end, and it fit well on both transmissions.

My 5 speed tranny is the Dogleg version but it had the big "60" on the side, Paul A. says it was only made for one model year.
Gotta get that thing rebuilt and put in the car!

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
"My 5 speed tranny is the Dogleg version but it had the big "60" on the side, Paul A. says it was only made for one model year.
Gotta get that thing rebuilt and put in the car!"

Yo, Rick...let's do a mini NODoody and get both 5 speeds installed when you're ready. Maybe this spring? I just purchased one from the Spridget list.

RickB

Yoda
Sweet - so you got that one - I saw Bill was asking about it, glad you got it!!

Mine needs a serious rebuild. I hope Paul A. can fit it into his schedule - maybe next month. For the short time I had it in my car it sure was nice.
5th gear on the freeway was like heaven!

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've bought two rebuild kits from Rivergate, and The Young Chap helping/doing most of the work has rebuilt one of the transmissions and will hopefully pop by next week and do the other one. He had to take a couple of pieces to a shop to get them pressed apart, plus had a lot of frustration with keeping things lined up to install the tail piece. I'll catch up with him in the new year and flesh these comments out a bit.

Doug

RickB

Yoda
oh - had not thought of this! Good call Kellysguy!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just checked - the 5speed shifter is longer from
the pivot point to the end that goes into the trans,but
is shorter from the pivot point to the shift knob.
I hope this helps.

- Doug

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I called a local Nissan dealer today and the parts guy promised to go into their archived material and give me a call back once he's got a part number and been able to check. When he calls (touch wood), I'll ask if he can advise if the lever is common with any other Datsuns. The Young Chap Helping reminded me that the three plastic bushings that the lever requires came with the Rivergate rebuild kit.

Doug

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
twas_brillig said:
The Young Chap Helping reminded me that the three plastic bushings that the lever requires came with the Rivergate rebuild kit.

Doug

They weren't included when I bought my kit from them a few years ago. Good to see they are now part of the basic kit.

CraigZ

lbc_newbie said:
"My 5 speed tranny is the Dogleg version but it had the big "60" on the side, Paul A. says it was only made for one model year.

Friend of mine has that tranny (and a Nissan 1600) in his Midget. He had to cut the tranny tunnel to get it in - it's too fat. But with that engine the car goes like stink...

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
CraigZ said:
lbc_newbie said:

Friend of mine has that tranny (and a Nissan 1600) in his Midget. He had to cut the tranny tunnel to get it in - it's too fat. But with that engine the car goes like stink...

So you're telling me I need to modify my tunnel to get this dogleg tranny in? That's not cool..... I was hoping for a straight swap with my Datsun 4 speed. Did he have to modify it to fit because of the 1600 or because of the tranny?

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ed

Datsun had two dog leg gearboxes around this time. The '79 210 used the 60 series dog leg and is a direcct swap with no cutting. the later 210 used the same gearbox but with the diffrent shift pattern. The earlier B210 and 510 used the 63a series and is wider and does require cutting to fit.

Check out the Rivergate website for a more complete description.

https://www.rivergate5speed.com/rivergate.html

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

RickB

Yoda
Mine required no 'adjustments' to the car at all.
Fit smoothly in without any cuts or changes.