• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Separate pitman arm from center tie rod

GerryL

Jedi Hopeful
What tool do I use to separate the drop arm from the silent block fulcrim pin? The tie rod pullers that I have are too long and can' t be placed due to interference with lower control arm. I am attempting to remove steering box.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I use a pickle fork, but The Randall and others probably use some more elegant tool.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My experience with a pickle fork was that it tore the silentbloc in half rather than loosening the taper joint. That might be OK, since you are probably going to replace it anyway. But I now use a tool like this

TA-61900.jpg

Some have reported that it wouldn't fit on their cars, but it works for me. In fact, I've used it to separate that exact joint twice in the past year, once to replace the silentblocs on the TR3 and once to disassemble the wrecked TR3A.

Note that the curved part of the jaw is what should press against the end of the stud. Using the pointed tip may result in breaking the tool. If the stud isn't long enough to contact the jaw, insert something as a spacer.
66478.gif

I was actually going to take a picture of it removing a rear shock link from the shock arm yesterday, but the joint literally fell apart while I was looking for the camera! I'll try again in the next few days.

OP
G

GerryL

Jedi Hopeful
I have just purchased tie rod end tool similar to one depicted, but have not been able to use it due to insufficient room because of the lower contol arm. I have jacked up the car to provide more room, but still lacked sufficient space. I also separated the tool by removing the piviot and found that the tapered part could not be wedged sufficiently between the pitman arm and the silent block pin.
The tie rod tool is manufactured by Tool Aid and the model is TA 61900.

Am I doing something wrong?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It did take some pounding to get the tapered portion in between the center link & the Pitman arm.

Can't help with the other problem, except to note that turning the steering wheel will move that joint left and right. Sorry I don't recall the details, just not dramatic enough I guess.

Couldn't be that old-timers disease, Oh no, not me!
grin.gif

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JPSmit Separate Thread - A40 Somerset hood [Bonnet] ornament Other British Cars 0
U Separate Turn Signals on BN7 Austin Healey 2
G How do I separate my drive shaft to lube splines Triumph 4
S TR2/3/3A Torque specification on large pitman arm nut Triumph 1
vette Steering Arm or Pitman Arm Austin Healey 6
A Steering box pitman removal SUCCESS Austin Healey 0
A Steering box - Pitman arm removal method work? Austin Healey 10
S pitman arm torque spec Triumph 0
S Wanted Windscreen Wiper Arm for BN1 wanted Austin Healey Classifieds 2
C Steering Arm Castle Nut Torque Austin Healey 5
WHT Rocker Arm Shaft Replacement Austin Healey 21
K TR6 Goodparts Trail arm kits mounting just to the frame( no body) and shims? Triumph 9
D TR6 Rocker arm assembly , pushrod clearance Triumph 8
W Steering Arm Colors Spridgets 1
R TR6 Lower A-arm trunnion bushings Triumph 18
D MGB Rear Suspension Damper Link Arm MG 2
K TR2/3/3A Using a dial gauge to adjust valves when rocker arm surfaces are worn? Triumph 9
Rob Dodge Trafficator arm issues. Jaguar 2
Kurtis TR4/4A TR4 Wiper Arm Remval Triumph 2
G Steering Arm Installation Recommendations - BJ7 Austin Healey 2
steveg TR6 Installing stock trailing arm bushings on the car - is it possible? Triumph 2
steveg TR6 Installing adjustable trailing arm brackets Triumph 7
RAC68 Wiper Motor and Arm Adjustment Austin Healey 8
M TR2/3/3A Cracked Welds on Steering Idler Arm Triumph 5
F Refilling and servicing Armstrong Lever Arm rear shocks Austin Healey 4
Rut TR4/4A A arm orientation Triumph 2
T TR5/TR250 Wiper wheel box knurled end not tight on arm Triumph 9
AH67 Wanted Wanted steering Idler Box & Arm Austin Healey Classifieds 3
F TR2/3/3A Beware eBay wiper blade and arm sales Triumph 6
T TR6 ajustable training arm brackets--- 1974 TR6 Triumph 14
D rocker arm assembly Austin Healey 14
G TR4/4A Wiper Arm Question Triumph 13
KVH TR4/4A Lower Control Arm Front Pivot Bolt Triumph 9
KVH General TR Pressing in the Lower Control Arm Bushing Triumph 6
Tim Tucker TR6 Trailing Arm NYLATRON bushing-washer gap questions Triumph 4
J BJ8 arm rest with compartment Austin Healey 1
W TR2/3/3A Tell me there is a trick to removing lower control arm pin... Triumph 45
I General TR Lower wishbone arm attachment bracket advice needed Triumph 8
A TR5/TR250 Trailing Arm Question Triumph 9
M TR2/3/3A FRONT SUSPENSION: Rusted lower control arm fulcrum Triumph 17
Tr3aguy TR2/3/3A Lower control arm question Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A Steering box drop arm Nut torque value? Triumph 0
Jim_Gruber Suspension Reinstall / Fitting Steerig Arm to Tie Rod End Spridgets 15
KVH General TR Pressing in the lower/inner control arm bushings Triumph 3
Jim_Gruber Removing back Radius Arm Bolt Spridgets 12
Jim_Gruber BE Rear Tube Shock Brackets Available to Trade for BE Rear Lever Arm Bracket Spridgets 2
KVH General TR Upper Control Arm Reversed? Triumph 5
G Steering idler arm removal Austin Healey 33
matmire rocker arm stress cracks? advice please. Spridgets 2
T "Cheese-Headed Screws" on Armstrong lever arm shocks Spridgets 2