• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seats with headrests for frogeye

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi
I know the alternative seat options has been discussed on previous forums for the frogeye but would like to know if anyone has had any new options recently either with new competiton seats or from cars like the Mazda mx5. I have a roll bar fitted and think this would need a fairly narrow backrest on the seat in order to clear. Also issues with accessing the boot which I know will be restricted. The other option I have is to install headrests (protection) to the roll bar but I cannot seem to find a supplier. Any help please.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Can you supply a picture of your roll bar in situ? I think that might be the easiest option. A metal plate bolted or welded to the bar. A matching plywood base to which a local uplostery shop could fit a matching vinyl pad. Or a set of seats from Cobra https://www.cobraseats.com/retro-seats.asp .
Regards
Paul

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Paul I was looking at the Cobra roadster 7 but not sure of the mounting and whether tilting was possible to gain even a limited access to the rear, looks narrow enough to clear the roll bar. CC54FC52-57A6-46E4-BE11-FCF13CDB32C8.jpg

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think the Cobraseats are a good choice for you (UK based and a phone call away). They have been fitted to the B/E before. You can tilt your seats backwards by sloping a wood filler strip between the floor and the seat frame ( gives you a little more leg room) Getting access to the boot will be your problem ( tilting forwads). Your roll bar is in the way already. It is a little tricky to mount headrests on it for for the passenger. You would have to do some fabrication for both sides.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
P.S. Tell us about your wheels (rims)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey Paul,
You need to post some pictures of your Bugeye.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IMG_0239.jpg
Ask and you will receive.
IMG_0451.jpg

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IMG_0453.JPG
Of course you know what it started out as ��

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
4tecdog: I'm planning on getting a roll bar built for each of our two BEs (one running; one still a project). These won't be for racing or rolling, but primarily to provide protection in case of getting t-boned in an intersection. Rather than a diagonal cross brace, I'm thinking of a horizontal brace just above the body and bent backwards slightly if required. I was also thinking of having a vertical piece welded down from the bar for a head brace pad (figure I'll wander through the wreckers, looking for Minis and Fiats and such for ideas/parts). But! I'd sure appreciate any dimensional and installation information for yours. Does it bolt to the floor? Is it braced back to the rear wheel wells? Is there a bend in the vertical tube? What's the OD of the tubing? Any information to save time and hassle would be appreciated. Doug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Interestingly was visiting a guy from another forum who is building the most astonishing Volvo 1800 wagon with a Miata suspension and a 5 litre mustang engine - it will be gorgeous. Every once in awhile he does a little outside work to pay for the project including, recently, an MGB that had been rear ended. Both driver and passenger sustained head injuries from bouncing of the roll bar. He was insistent that no road car should have a roll bar as the odds of being rear ended were way way higher than of rolling the car.

I certainly can see worrying about being T boned, but I do agree with the guy that rolling, while possible is highly unlikely, especially the way we drive.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The rear ending issue is why I'd like to have either head rests, or - better yet - the roll bar with an integral (padded!) skull stopper.

4tecdog: can you use the stock top over your rollbar?

Doug

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi
Thanks for that input Paul and nice pics by the way, Cobra seats look a real possibility I think fabricated pads would look a little ugly as the passenger and driver side would need different brackets unless I removed the diagonal which does have a covering of padding I have not covered the top because as it is now I can still use the hood. Not too fussed about access I may be able to design a quick release system to take a seat out for access to spare and a good excuse for not taking too much baggage.
The wheels are minilite with knock on adapters a bit heavy but feel good on the road and I use beefed up half-shafts from Peter May.
Doug I will get some dimensions for you of the roll bar it is bolted to the floor and the wheel wells and does not involve making holes in the rear shroud so converting back is not a problem, the bar does make the frame stiffer and should offer a little more protection from being t boned as I have been in the past (usually on roundabouts which I don’t think you have many) I am a bit worried of a shunt from the rear that is why I would like head restraints.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I can vouch for Miata Seats in a Spridget with Roll Bar. Comfortable and great to driv in at speed w headrest speakers but Rollbar limited ability to tilt back. I've seen a t-Boned Spridget and Rollbar saved the guy's butt. Rollbar allowed car to slide sideways rather than have a Buick running a Stop Sign go over the top.Got pics if you are interested.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I never looked into this but would not the later model Spridget seats with built in headrests be the simplest solution.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Maybe Joe that’s why I’m asking what you guys may have fitted and what fits. I think it would be easier to locate used mx5 or cobra seats if they fit. Also the headrests on the later sprite and midget don’t look as strong or handsome.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi Jim
Are these Miata seats the same as the Mx5 the ones eBay sellers describe as tombstone seats? They look like they would fit nicely and possibly clear the vertical section of the roll bar. Plenty for sale as well.
Regards
Rob

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes they are but with my rollbar list ability to recline as top shoulder of seat hit the rollbar. Was able to get seat fully back as far as I needed but at 5’6” I had plenty of leg room but I sat too far upright. Without a rollbar seats were incredibly supportive and comfy and headrest speakers were fabulous. 2 of stock seat mounting holes fit track holes so only two new holes to drill. I used an angle grinder to remove front seat locating pegs so seats sat flatter. Perfect seats in my ‘68 if I didn’t have a rollbar. Now not all rollbar are designed the same shape and some may work.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Jim I think I will take the plunge and bid on some Mx5 seats as you say mounting looks easy to modify, I will look out for an Mx5 or its seats locally and try and get some measurements to make sure it is not higher than the roll bar.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi Jim
Got the seats real quick and got them in even quicker thanks to your previous post. The roll bar was always going to be an issue but as it happens just had to remove the diagonal and I was lucky the vertical part of the bar cleared just ! I just had to shave a bit off the plastic trim around the hinge to get that extra 1/2 inch. Bonus with the hood up plenty of head room without taking any foam out of the seats as has been suggested on Mx5 forums. I’m just a mite under 6ft. Took her for a test run tonite and it’s fabulooooose.9F7EB687-FFC1-4C89-BC66-3D670706A2AE.jpg468C54F3-49E4-483B-8DD7-AF4A69CC99C0.jpg