• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Sandy's TR 3

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
My how time flies. And I guess I'm somewhat of an old slacker. However, as noted in an earlier post, my kids are keeping me busy with LBC projects. And then there's the honey do list...........oh well.

So here's an update. I repaired the rusted out lower 12" of the right wing with a patch from Niehaus Restorations. The panel was well made but TR3's being what they are, it didn't exactly match the wheel opening arc. I was able to correct that with some fiddling. I then went back to the left wing and decided to completley dismantle it as John Durant did. Thanks John for your step by step restoration guide. I still review it almost weekly.

Attached is a picture of the wing. The parts in red primer are the ones that were removed and repaired. It's one heck of a lot of work but if this step is skipped I think rust problems will come back fairly quickly. I have not welded the main flange or the A post flange back in place yet. I think it would be wise to double check the fit on the tub before doing that. So now it's time do the same thing to the right wing. But, my youngest sons MG Midget now needs some attention.

I'll probably do an update on the "other forum" too.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

Bill

IMG_20190218_160351873.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Bill

Looking good.

A fit to the tub is a great idea.
I did the John patch, welded it in the wing then when I fitted it to the tub I had "Oil Caning". Tried heat shrinking with little results. Finally bought a repair panel from TRF. Cut out my repair and tacked in the repair panel only to get Oil Caning again. Cut the tacks and attached the repair panel to the inner sill and the wing to the inner wing.There was a 1/4" gap between them. Probable the cause of the original oil caning.
The wing had so much Bondo on it when I started that it was impossible for it to move. Also the PO had replaced the inner sills probable working with the body off the frame and got the sill set too low.

So Yes fit the wing to the tub and bolt t up before finish welding.

David

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
Oil canning can drive a person to drink. I've spent many hours working them out. Tried many different methods. The small shrinking disc seemed to work fairly well. I even used my MIG welder to hit small spots. Three or four "tacks" in a small area helped some. I just recently bought a maap gas torch with the instant on and off trigger. Now I can heat a small spot and let of the torch without worrying about setting shorts or shoes on fire. It's all fun. Really, I do enjoy it.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Lionell has a cool shrinking tool. I looked and Harbor freight sells one for about $100. I think I will invest in one before my next big sheet metal project, as it sounds infinitely easier than heat shrinking!