• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Running hot

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I replaced the radiator - and the engine gets to the "N", the midpoint of the needles's sweep. At idle at a traffic light of stop sign the needle moves toward the hot end of the sweep. Usually, the needle returns to the normal position after a short distance. Lately it seems to take more time. I have not adjusted the SUs in a while, and I understand if the fuel mixture is lean, the engine tends to run hotter. Also the number one cylinder has about 70 psi, the others are 110 psi. Also there is a the sound of exhaust leak. I tightened the manifold bolys to spec and it sort of cleared up. I was teaching grandkids to drive the car and the temp gauge went into the "hot" zone. I immedialtely took over and drove home the and needle returned to normal range. The "leaky" exhaust sound has returned. So... Warped head due to lean mixture / mis-adjusted SUs, timing problem?

T.T.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
What's the weather like when that overheating happens? Southern Arizona isn't known for a cool dry climate.

I'd bet a thermostat controlled electric fan would do what you need. Also, are the coolant passages through the engine clean, or full of 60 years of crud?

Hope this helps.
Tom M.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not likely to be a warped head due to a lean mixture but it could be a blown head gasket, run it with the radiator cap off and look for bubbles in the water.

Graham

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not likely to be a warped head due to a lean mixture but it could be a blown head gasket, run it with the radiator cap off and look for bubbles in the water.

Graham
Yeah, with that low compression reading on #1 it sure is a possibility. How does the oil appear - any milkiness to it?

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Mixture is not causing this. The number 1 cylinder is probably involved. Can you find a shop with an exhaust gas sniffer for the radiator?
Bob

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Since you replaced the radiator, I presume you have replaced the coolant also. But there still could be rust and crud in the block. It might be a good idea to do a full flush, with stuff designed for that. I've used the Prestone in the past, and it removed a lot of crud, but there are others.

Also, as with any cooling-system problem, replace the thermostat.

Finally, there should be an orifice in the bypass line, usually where the bypass line connects to the pump. Some older TR water-pump bodies don't have one, and without it you can lose a lot of cooling capability.

I agree that you could have a leaking head gasket, but I think that should be second to making sure that the cooling system itself is doing its job.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The TR cooling system is airflow limited. The stock fan does not provide enough flow to cool when at a stop. The solutions are:

1) Check the ducting is installed properly from the cowl to the radiator.
2) switch to a "tropical" fan, which moves more air.
3) Add an electric fan, which will absolutely solve your problem, but it requires more power, so an alternator conversion is also required for this.

Here in 100 degree Texas, I simply shut down the motor if I am at a long stop light. It fires up instantly, and as long as the car is moving it has enough air to stay cool.

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions.

I checked the radiator cap; sometimes the rubber is crazed so pressure can't build. It seemed to be smotth and pliable.

A friend uses the eight blade fan from a later Spitfire - his suggestion.

I'm not sure, but the thermostat could be malfunctioning - I think I replaced it when we rebuilt the engine in 2007.

I get the opinion is there may have two problems, perhaps unrelated - the cooling system and low compression.

T.T.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A leaking head gasket will give you both problems, I had a similar problem because I didn't retorque the head after my rebuild, I think it may be head off.

Graham