• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restoring a 76 TR6

alexisrexx

Freshman Member
Hello All, I'm Alexis.

TLDR: I found a great 76 TR6 and am restoring it.

I've always had a fondness for older cars. My dad restored a Comet, a friend built old VW's and I tried my hand as a teen at restoring a 58 & 64 VW Bug. Didn't get very far because I was young and had no real resources. But thankfully my dad would let me watch and occasionally help with restoration work or repairs so I got the basics of mechanics down.
On the rare occasion that I visited a local wrecking yard I saw a row of parted out MGs and Triumphs. I always dreamed of fixing one up. They looked so cool and classy.
Now as an adult I have the resources and skill necessary!

By coincidence over the years I've spotted Triumphs and Austin Healey's in the wild and most recently several weeks ago spoke to a gentleman in a post office parking lot about his fire red TR6 wishing I could have one of my own.

About a month ago now I was on instagram and my girlfriend posted to her stories that her uncle was in town for only two days and desperately needed to sell his TR6! It turns out he had trailered it to Los Angeles from Tucson for a buyer who simply didn't have the money when he arrived. He needed the car off the trailer as he'd been commissioned to haul back a large sculpture and was selling the TR6 super cheap as a consequence!
I frantically called and asked but the car had already been sold to a local collector, but he indicated the collector had basically done him a favor by taking it off his hands and didn't appear to have any plans for the car. So I called the collector up and offered a small price increase to cover his inconvenience and ended up with a '76 TR6 with NO frame rot and minimal body rust/damage for only $1100! It even had an extra engine to swap in that supposedly worked.

In the past couple weeks I've removed the old non-working engine and am stripping the engine bay to properly clean it and re-paint. I plan to do a frame off restoration because there is lots of surface rust down there but I am very impressed with how clean it is overall.

Attachments

• D8F43299-44BF-4106-A573-1E165B940362.jpeg
    D8F43299-44BF-4106-A573-1E165B940362.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9689.jpeg
    IMG_9689.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the British Car Forum. Keep plugging away at your restoration and you will uncover a gem of a car. Whenever you need friendly help or advice, be sure to post your questions in the "Triumph" section of the forum.
By the way, I am partial to the color of your car (check our my avatar :giggle: )

OP
alexisrexx

alexisrexx

Freshman Member
Welcome to the British Car Forum. Keep plugging away at your restoration and you will uncover a gem of a car. Whenever you need friendly help or advice, be sure to post your questions in the "Triumph" section of the forum.
By the way, I am partial to the color of your car (check our my avatar :giggle: )
Thank you! 😊 I’m excited to get it to a basic state of running and largely rust free first and then start the tedious work of making it pretty! The paint isn’t salvageable despite being decent for factory original. I haven’t decided exactly which final color yet but I’m thinking understated with highlight flecks!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Happy to have you aboard! Congrats on the super deal on your TR6! As @Gliderman8 suggested, be sure to check out our Triumph form here! You will get plenty of help and encouragement!