• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recommendation on new harness for Bugeye?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Any recommendation on where to source a new harness for my Bugeye? Unfortunately would be turning any wrenches on it immediately but want to start gathering all the bits to do it right.

Thanks!

Country flag
Britishwiring.com used to have excellent service and were very knowledgeable. It has switched owners since the last time I dealt with them, so I can not say if the new owner is as knowledgeable or helpful. However, it is worth giving him a call.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Moss worked great and Miss Agatha was happy.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BritishWiring, Moss, VB - everybody uses the same factory in the UK so all the wiring harnesses from the usual suppliers are all the same...so, what you're really looking for is the best price.

Country flag
... and best service. There are variations in some harnesses.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Trevor...when I was doing the wiring on my '63 Midget, I bought a Moss harness - the correct replacement for mine....it came packaged in a bag inside a bag...the inside bag was from the factory in the UK, the outside bag was Moss'....I had a question about a white wire so I contacted Moss & had them research my question....while they were doing their research, I called British Wiring & had them pull a harness off the shelf & read me the factory part number on it - same as Moss!

At the same time, I ordered a harness from VB, knowing I would probably return it but just in case I needed it...when it arrived (before I sent it back), I opened the package - a VB tag & Moss tag on the outside bag with factory bag inside! VB got their harness from Moss!

I talked with the factory about my question & they confirmed the number on the bag was, in fact, their number for a '63 Midget harness.

So, I'm wondering how there could be variations in harnesses that all come from the same factory?

Oh, the answer to my question was that the factory does not build a separate harness for Midgets with pull handle starters; so, the extra white wire for later starters has to be cut off where it exits the harness.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Tony, what color was the wrapping on your harness for the 63? I've been told that US spec harnesses had blue wrapping and UK harnesses had black wrapping, at least on the later cars. Not a real issue with my car, but just curious as to which color a bugeye would use or is that one cloth wrapped?

Country flag
Tony, I mean ... just what you said. There are variations in original harnesses made for the cars. I do not doubt they all come from the same place. However, if the vendor is knowledgeable they can help you understand the variations and how to accommodate for your particular car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bill_young said:
Tony, what color was the wrapping on your harness for the 63? I've been told that US spec harnesses had blue wrapping and UK harnesses had black wrapping, at least on the later cars. Not a real issue with my car, but just curious as to which color a bugeye would use or is that one cloth wrapped?
Bill - mine is just like the original cloth....in later years MG went to blue plastic on some cars....& if you want a cheaper harness than the woven cloth, you can order an early harness in the blue plastic.

Trevor Jessie said:
Tony, I mean ... just what you said. There are variations in original harnesses made for the cars. I do not doubt they all come from the same place. However, if the vendor is knowledgeable they can help you understand the variations and how to accommodate for your particular car.
Well, we know 1 who can't & the only one who even offered to find out was Moss - they emailed the factory in the UK....since I had had a custom harness made by them a few years ago (under the old owners of British Wiring), I had the factory's phone number so I just called to get my answer.

Now, I'm not knocking any particular vendor...I'm just saying that they're all the same & the person ordering the harness needs to know what they want/need. That's all.