Hey Guest!
I've cleaned and put new oil in these lever shocks for many years, even when I worked a a Saab dealer in the early '70s. The Saab 95, which was the wagon designation, had lever shocks in the back. We had a customer come in one time with his 95 and asked if we could put stiffer shocks in the rear because sometimes he carried heavy stuff. We explained that they were lever shocks and it would be possible by putting in heavier weight oil, but not recommended. Besides, heavier springs would probably be better. He was insistent. The service manager said put some gear oil in them and send him on his way. Well, I put in some 75 wt gear oil in them, and they were really stiff. I mean you could hardly move the suckers. I put them in the car, drove it, and came back and told the service guy that it was just too much, the back end was bouncing around over bumps because there was no give in the suspension, except for the tires. He said "Let's see what the owner says". The owner came in, picked up the car, drove it around and came back and said "Perfect!"...nothing like making a customer happy. 