• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rebuild of rear shock for 58Tr3a

PeterK

Yoda
I took mine off and drained all the old fluid out. Took out the valve and cleaned also.

The old fluid was really dirty and I removed what I could through the drain then flushed with fresh Marvel Mystery oil, working the arms up and down. Then drained the Marvel out, refilled with shock oil from Moss, pumped the arm until they were smooth throughout the range.

As long as yours are not leaking, this may be all they need.

I second the worldwide link if they do end up needing to be rebuilt.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
:iagree: I've cleaned and put new oil in these lever shocks for many years, even when I worked a a Saab dealer in the early '70s. The Saab 95, which was the wagon designation, had lever shocks in the back. We had a customer come in one time with his 95 and asked if we could put stiffer shocks in the rear because sometimes he carried heavy stuff. We explained that they were lever shocks and it would be possible by putting in heavier weight oil, but not recommended. Besides, heavier springs would probably be better. He was insistent. The service manager said put some gear oil in them and send him on his way. Well, I put in some 75 wt gear oil in them, and they were really stiff. I mean you could hardly move the suckers. I put them in the car, drove it, and came back and told the service guy that it was just too much, the back end was bouncing around over bumps because there was no give in the suspension, except for the tires. He said "Let's see what the owner says". The owner came in, picked up the car, drove it around and came back and said "Perfect!"...nothing like making a customer happy. :wall:

dogdad

Freshman Member
As my '6 shocks are needing attention, I've been told that it's possible to do the same thing as Peterk just mentioned (unless maybe major internal work, that is). Strip them down, clean them up inside/outside and add fluid, right?

Not dissing the guy at all (I just now learned about him and his products), but what does he do in a re-build?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think anyone is saying don't dive in if you want to do it, but adjusting for time, hassle and knowing is it done right (not to mention not losing driving time since they just bolt up ready to use) Peter and crew is hard to beat.