• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Randy Forbes

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Many of you have been asking for a Randy update. He has had an extremely rough couple of days with tremendous pain. We were repeatedly told that their goal was to "stay ahead of the pain" but they kind of dropped the ball on that. He was finally hooked up to a pain pump last night and I am hoping he gets some relief now. He could barely speak, and could not take any deep breaths, due to the crushing pain. I am anxious to see him later this morning and hoping he is more comfortable. The good news is that he is out of ICU and on the cardiac care floor (From Sue this morning)

Ugh....I hope he can get through the pain and on the road to recovery. My positive thoughs are with him.

Country flag
Hi guys, every day gets a little better (using a I-phone, so typos, if any, are the result of tiny keys, not dain bramage...).

coughining hurts like ****, but would've been intolurable a couple days ago. Baby steps!

Thanks again for all your help!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
and for goodness sakes: don't get constipated! Doug

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wishing you the best and fastest recovery. Dave.

Country flag
Thanks guys!

Every day gets a little easier, and I vow to wear pants tomorrow! Actually, I did wear pants (socks, shoes and a shirt, etc.) when I came home from the hospital just over a week ago, it's not really as bad (err, lazy) as it sounds...

Tomorrow, September 24th, marks two (2) weeks since the operation; all the home-health nurses & techs (PT, OT) are ready to sign off on me and say that my progress has been very good. Remember that I did not have any kind of an event (like a heart attack or stroke) but instead chose to go in and have a bum valve replaced. Therefore, I didn't have to recover from any heart-muscle damage. Something to be said for preventive maintenance!

Tests leading up to AVR revealed an impending need to repair an ascending aorta aneurysm (bulge) and then there's a left atrial appendage (or clip) they do whenever they're in there, to eliminate blood pooling, which could lead to a stroke__typical job-creep, just like on our car projects ;)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great Randy glad to hear you areon your way back here

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Latest FB update by Randy's wife, Sue:

By special request, here is the latest "Randy Update"! Fifteen days post op and I am amazed at his progress, especially the past couple of days! We just went for his longest walk yet, 9 minutes. Of course, he is still in pain, and is very tired and weak, but his vitals are now stable and the home healthcare PT and OT discharged him today; the nurse will make a couple more visits but they all think he is doing great. The incision is healing nicely (don't worry, I won't post any pics of that...haha). A long way to go, but I am very pleased with his progress so far.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looking forward to you getting back into the saddle. I've always enjoyed your posts over the years.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/the-f...y-gets-star-wars-model-of-his-heart-1.4588972
I graduated from the University of Alberta in Engineering fifty years ago, and our class got together up there two weeks ago. We had a couple of tours (things have changed since the days when the Engineering building had nothing but male washrooms, and picked one to put plywood over the urinals to label it for the ladies), and one of them was something that they call 'the garage' where students do various projects. It features a $ 450,000 Cdn 3D printer, and that is the printer used to produce a model of Mason's heart. The file that was developed is now available world-wide, so surgeons and students can see what the heart of a five year old looks and feels like if they have access to a 3D printer of the necessary sophistication, as how many surgeons will ever do a transplant on a five year old?
Randy - I expect that you're mighty glad to be living today, versus any time in the past.
I just had two fillings replaced, and having that experience in the past would not have been quite as relaxing. Similarly, I'm over 600 blood, plasma, and platelet donations. There's a lot of things that I think are wrong in this world of ours, but there are an exponential number more that are right. Including valve jobs and stents etc. etc. etc. Doug

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Randy--

I'm putting you on my crew list for the HSR races at Sebring December 5-8. You'd better not disappoint me!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My apologies for doing a bit of an unintentional hijack of the thread and having mis-phrased myself: I've made 626 donations of whole blood, plasma, and platelets (including two white cell donations), thus far. Hoping to continue for a few more years but the folks holding the pointy thingy are beginning to encounter more difficulties in getting a good flowing connection so may have to drop out in the next while.
Thanks to the fellow member who private messaged me regards my health: A-1, thus far.
Hopefully this is clearer. And if you've got a boring travel, drug usage, and sexual history, there are a bunch of really nice people who'd like to get their hands on you. Doug

Country flag
As always, ever grateful for the compassion shown.

Doug, yes, the technology advancement boggles the mind! Within reason of course, you always want to wait as long as possible, as the scientists and doctors are always learning and perfecting new procedures.

Michael, I will do my best! May have to resort to making the trip over in something with power steering though__sternotomy takes longer to heal than I was planning__have to wait and see how that plays out. Thank you, as I do enjoy a day at the races!