• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

quick carburetion fix

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Open your trunk & smell around the right rear taillight to see if the gas smell is unusually strong - if so, one of the hoses to your evaporative cannister back there is cracked - common problem

....but it doesn't keep the car from running!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I just need her running. I miss driving her. I'm getting cranky and having withdrawals. She's my therapy. 15 minutes in her and there are no problems in the world. You guys know what that is. I can't stand her not running, I can't stand her being broke.

~sniff~ I just want to go for a bloody drive. I'm tired of driving the Solara.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
No gas smell in the trunk whatsoever.

((I'd still rather have a broken MG than any other car in the world. I'm sick, aren't I?))

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
"My fuel pump never stops clicking or slows down clicking.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first time I've heard that....your fuel pump diaphragm or one of your gas lines is leaking & the system isn't pressurizing...I'm gonna go back to my original thesis: you're not getting enough gas to the carb...& I'll bet on a bad gas line coming out of the fuel pump!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'll check that first Tony, but don't hold your breath, I just still think it's the carb. Woman's intuition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No, I'll check it now. Just make certain it's okay and on tight?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, if the pump never stops clicking, there's air entering the system somewhere...you've gotta find that leak...& it can only be at the pump or the short lines near the pump...jack her up time!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Well if it's jackerup time, I'm done for the night. I'm afraid to jack her up. I'll get under her once she's jacked, but I'm askeered to do it! I'll bribe dh with an omelet in the morning. Or threaten him with a BFH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
God Tony, I can't stand the suspense.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Bwahahahahahaha. Ya'll are killing me.

It's like a freaking soap opera, "Perils of Emma" or something. Besides, you know Morris' Laws of Probability -- once this is fixed, there will be something else.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I'm degreasing my hands, grabbing my book and going to read for awhile. Nothing like a smutty romance novel to take a girl's mind off her engine.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
And no cracks. I'm actually reading - nevermind, what I'm reading may get more cracks than a smutty romance novel.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just opened a Christmas of Jonney Walker Black.

Just the stuff for a nite like this.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, Mr Laird, I hope you brought enuff for the entire class!

<jonesin' fer that Black Label now>

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
If the float IS stuck like J.B. is thinking, then that would cause the fuel pump to run constantly also.
Pinch off the fuel line just before the carb, turn the key on, and see if the pump will sound normal (click for a few seconds, then stop.) that will prove your lines are good, no cracks, or bad pump.
Then, with the fuel line still pinched off start the car and run her till the float bowl is outta gas.
If she starts hard (like she has been) then seems to run good (like normal)for 15-30 seconds, Then you"ve got a pretty good idea that is was the float letting too much gas into the bowl.
Let it stall out, then the bowl is dry. Then keeping it pinched, pull the fuel line off the carb, and spray some cleaner onto the fuel inlet pipe.
With the bowl empty, the needle valve is wide open, and you're not fighting agenst the float to dislodge any gunk.
Then reconnect the line, un pinch it, and turn on the key.
The pump should run until the bowl is full then slow down and shut off .
It may or may not work.
If this does the trick, I would also strongly reccomend an oil change in case the flooding has let gas get into the oil.
Good luck J.B.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But Banjo, she says if she sprays a bit of starter fluid in the carb it will start and run for a bit. Otherwise nothing. But her pump runs (ticks) all the time.

However, that said your advise is good to determine if you have a stuck open float.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and a "quick'n dirty" way to clear it, if it isn't a BIG "stone."

JB: You *do* have a filter in-line before the carb, right?

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Fuel pump is fine. No leaks that I found, good fuel pressure at the pump.

Locking horns here already this morning. I don't know why he's being so bull-headed about this, but it's about to stop. Either we fix Emma in the next couple days or I'll switch out carbs myself.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That carb has the dreaded closed vent system, right? Check that vent, both at the carb and the hose... If as you've stated JB, ALL emission gear has been removed, disregard.

FWIW: I'd say find/fix Emma's current induction prob rather than attempt an impromptu carb swap if you're set on driving her anytime in the next few days: there's ALWAYS an unexpected snag with a missing bit, a screw or some "unknown" gonna cause delay.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess I must ask one more time. Does the fuel pump ever stop clicking? When you turn on power does it Tic tic tic then stop or does it run forever?

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I never hear the fuel pump stop or slow down. Perhaps it does when I'm driving at speed, but I can't hear it at all then with the road noise, wind noise and radio noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif