• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question - how to ship a tranny.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drain well.

Slip into a plastic bag.

Slip into an appropiate box.

Fill with packing material.

UPS?

What is the cheep way to do this folks. Who has done what and do you remember the cost?

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When Paul A. shipped my five speed to me he had the engine end bolted onto a 14 x 15 inch piece of plywood. It came UPS and in 2004 I paid $75 for packing and shipping.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Poke a few air holes so he (she?) can breathe! :smile:

I usually ship transmissions FedEx ground.....they seem to be the cheapest for me. Bubble wrap helps, but as long as it has some sort of packing material you should be fine. I use computer boxes, which are double walled, for added protection.

Shipping costs should be in the $60-$80 range, depending on how far it needs to go.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jack, both ways work, but I've had the best luck bolting it to a piece of plywood and slipping a box over the top. Find a box that's long enough to accomodate the tranny and cut the plywood the size of the end, slip the box over the top and secure with staples, big staples. This end up stickers are good. I use FedEx ground a lot and they have an economy rate. I can ship 150 lbs and under from CA to AL for about $55. YMMV
Rut

D

Deleted member 8987

After my last shipment with UPS, insured, I canceled my account with them and refuse to ship with them. All my suppliers had either changed or have changed to FedUp or USPS.

Insurance with OOOOOPS means absolutely nothing, unless it's lost and you can prove from an invoice your cost.

I shipped a unit (not LBC) in original die-cut Styrofoam box, in a cardboard box, in a box twice as big filled with ghost peanuts, and they did the 10 foot plus drop test, and broke gears, lights, all sorts of stuff, and just claimed "improperly packed", even though that box had been around the world in at least six different shipments with no problem whatsoever.

Most stuff now goes USPS.
Faster, cheaper, no damage.

Dave
TOCG

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I still send stuff UPS but I will NOT use one of those "UPS Stores" since they charge an extra 30-50% markup! If you take it to the UPS main office (delivery center) you don't pay the extra.
BillM
UPS across the country is about $70 right now, 500 miles is about $50.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Last time I shipped a pair of carburetors by UPS I had to sign a form saying that they were professionally cleaned and had no gasoline residue. It's possible that you might have to do the same thing for any auto parts that contained flammable liquids.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Greyhound would be my choice as well.

That said I've had great luck at the UPS store. I haven't experienced any mark up at all.

I buy a box big enough to easily fit the gearbox in then build a wooden crate type structure that fits inside the box to it's exact measurements, and I make the gearbox bolt to the crate, so it can't jossle around. I use Fed EX ground for this, as they don't charge you as much for oversize boxs as UPS does, you probably hit the scales with box/crate/gearbox in the 80 pound range, the ribcage gearbox is just under 60 pounds. You can run a online quote at the FEDEX site, you'll need roughly the box size, the weight and the two zip codes involved.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wow, Hap strikes again. Thanks guy.

Gota keep in mind that is for a full up ready to go case.

Some one disasembled the one I am going to get and left it that way.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So Jack a 5 speed for Miss Agatha?

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No no. a rib case.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
When I started my business, UPS gave me an account and shipping guidelines to follow. Within the first year, damaged shipments amounted to over $4000 and UPS did not reimburse one cent. Since I fired them and switched to FedEx Ground, less damaged goods, and very fast reimbursement for damage.
I was forced to eat all the cost of damage or reimburse my customers and in some cases lost business which was the worst part of the outcome. If a customer want things shipped with their UPS account, they have to assume the risk of loss or damage. After I tell them that, they usually ship with FedEx.
The only thing UPS has going for it is the drivers are really nice guys, never rude, rushed or careless. Since the company went to employee owned, management is destroying the company.

TOC said:
After my last shipment with UPS, insured, I canceled my account with them and refuse to ship with them. All my suppliers had either changed or have changed to FedUp or USPS.

Insurance with OOOOOPS means absolutely nothing, unless it's lost and you can prove from an invoice your cost.

I shipped a unit (not LBC) in original die-cut Styrofoam box, in a cardboard box, in a box twice as big filled with ghost peanuts, and they did the 10 foot plus drop test, and broke gears, lights, all sorts of stuff, and just claimed "improperly packed", even though that box had been around the world in at least six different shipments with no problem whatsoever.

Most stuff now goes USPS.
Faster, cheaper, no damage.

Dave
TOCG

Country flag
Here is an off topic question. My wife paid a hefty premium to UPS to have something overnighted. The package was a day late due to weather delaying and rerouting flights. Makes sense. So, she requests a refund on the overnight premium. They say "nope not our fault". What kind of customer service is that? She was just asking for a refund on the part of the service they failed to provide.