• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pop it out

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I attended one of the best British Car Shows yesterday (PEDC’s Brits on the Beach in Ocean Grove, NJ) and, arriving home, found I had received a dent on the door and outer top of the front fender (no idea what happened). The paint was not scratched and a friend suggested that I investigate having the dents removed by someone using one of these new non-invasive methods rather then the standard body shop fill and repaint. He also indicated it was most successful on a modern car with thin metal and paint and voiced concern the Healey’s thicker metalwork and paint (repaint is thicker than modern original paint) may not provide a good candidate for this approach.

Has anyone had success with on-invasive dent removal and, if so, could you provide details and any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray (64BJ8P1)

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I had the Jaguar done, its like a mirror now
On the Healey it might be more difficult
But it sure can be done by someone with expirience
Don't go for cheap or fast jobs ...

Hans

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Ray,
Also had a nice size dent removed from my shroud up near the back hood opening. Did a great job and no repaint necessary. Sounds like the fender dent is in the steel which is easier for a PDR guy to work with than aluminum - I know, thought it would be just the opposite. Find out who does the work at the high end dealerships and use him to do your work. The dealer service manager will usually be happy to give you their PDR guy's name as this is normally a sub contracted work.
Regards,
Mike

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Thanks All,

Per Rick’s suggestion, I sent a PM to AUSMHLY for advice. Although I would love to have a Healey-knowledgeable professional do the job, since I am near the NJ Shore and he is on the other side of the country, it would be impractical for me to have him do it. I would be willing to take the door panel off and even de-install the front fender as I have performed this task many times, however, if PDR is not practical and body-shop fill and paint is my only alternative, I think I would be better off keeping door and fender on the car.

I thought my Healey SAGA had ended but it seems it only took another direction.

Thanks again to all,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had small door dings (dings made by a door) taken out of my rear fender by a PDR guy. He used a long lever device with the tire as the fulcrum and just made it perfect. I think they need something solid as a lever to do it, so I'm not sure about removing dings in a door.

PS. there is no end to the Healey SAGA unless you sell it or give it away.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Ray, I know a few of our local AH club members that have good success with "Paintless Dent Removal" experts, in fact my neighbor owns a PDR company. I've seen his work and it is highly reccommended for some, but not all, dents. In your case I don't think it's necessary to remove the door or a fender. I would take all trim pieces off the door and remove the lower portion of the front fender. I would think they should be able to reach in from the bottom of the fender and smooth it out.

Let us know what you decide.

Country flag
Roger did my Cayanne several years ago. He is the best! He is a perfectionist and spent a lot of time on it. Fabulous results. He used lots of tools and mirrors to get it just right. I would get references and check the work of anyone you use. Go to high end auto dealer and ask who they use.