• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Plaque in XK-120

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
A number of years ago, I owned an XK-120 that had a plaque on the dash. There was a reference to a speed record set in a similar car in a European country. I think about that car still today and try to recall the wording and significance of that plaque. Can anyone tell me more about it, especially the wording? Thanks.
Jabbeke, Belgium?

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There poolboy;

All I do remember is that the car was capable of or did "120" mph:

Regards, Russ

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The plaque dedicated the 120 with the speed record over a set course in Belgium at an average of 132.596. The first attempt at Jabbeke started with an undershield and side screens with a run of 126.448mph. The windscreen was taken off and a small cowl replaced it with a metal tonneau was attached to cover the passenger seat which produced a speed of 132.916 in the northerly run and a return south at 133.596. ( Taken out of "JAGUAR" The Complete Illustrated History by Philip Porter).
Road and Track tested the 120 after a strictly watched 5000 mile tune-up and removal of the windscreen and an aero screen installed to a speed of 121.6 with a 3.64:1 axle at 3000 ft elevation. ( May 1951 Road & Track ).
Standing 1/4--- 18.3 Flying 1/4 mile ---123.2
0-50 ---- 7.5sec 0-60 ---- 10.1 0-70 --- 12.6

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There LarryK;

Pretty darn interesting these Jaguars are; don`t you agree: Thier History just never seems to end; Which is a Good thing!

Hey Larry; I notice you have a "96 Discovery 4.0 Series 1": Is that the same as saying a "67 E-Type 4.2 Series I"?

I`m simply not at all familiar with the Discovery especially something called a "Series I"!

Just Curious;

Russ

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Russ:
The Discovery was first intro to US in 94 then same model to 97. In 98 they made the body bigger ( wider and longer ) and added Range Rover electronics. Hence,the first models were called Disco 1 or Series 1 and the next were called series 2. From a distance they all look the same to non-car people, but Land Rover owners really know the difference in the parts and more technical repairs, lots more electronics to fail or disrupt. Now they are both replace by the LR3. Jags were better known for the series, as they kept improving a model but basically they were much the same. Jags have been with me since 65 when my Dad brought home a 57 140 FHC MC, which I learned to drive and which started my mechanical experience. I have a pretty good library to look up stuff, just hard to run find and answer. Just happened to know where the Jabbeke was. Jag also set some 24 speed,indurance,and track records in 48-52, a lot that still stand today for a stock production car.

OP
poolboy

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Larry K. I had that XK 120 back in 65 and 66, so it was a reach back in time for my memory. I do remember some exciting drives in that car though.
I wonder if that plaque came on the car from the Coventry factory? I remember it looked "official"

R

RonMacPherson

My memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, but I thought that the plaque said the speed was set at Montlhery, a race track south of Paris.... I do remember it being 120 mph. And my plaque was also on the dash.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've seen that plaque too.

XKs Unlimited ( at https://www.xks.com ) will sell you a replica of this plaques.
It says the following:

CERTIFIED
THAT THIS JAGUAR CAR IS A
R E P L I C A
OF THE RECORD-BREAKING CAR
WHICH ACHIEVED THE SPEED OF
141.51 M.P.H
AT JABBEKE, BELGIUM
CERTIFIED BY________________
CHIEF ENGINEER
JAGUAR CARS LTD., COVENTRY, ENGLAND

This replica plaque appears to have blank area before <u>"CHIEF ENGINEER"</u> area.
I guess that was supposed to be signed or stamped with the current chief engineer's name.

OP
poolboy

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
YES! I do remember that "replica" part.
Man, I'd love to drive one of those ol'boys again.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The Montlhery track is where the 24 speed records were done in the copper colored 120 FHC MC. 24 hr records run for the whole week, avg speed 100 for 24 hrs, 99 mph for the week average with stops only for fuel and oil and driver switch. There is a story that during the runs a opussom, rabbit or some small animal was dead by the track and one of the drivers used it for a marker for braking in the turn. During the fog he really relied on it until dawn arrived and it was gone. A track worker moved it and his breaking was screwed for the rest of his time.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
The dash plaque in my 1951 XK-120 says:

Certified that this Jaguar Car is an Exact Replica of the record-breaking car which achieved the spped of 132.6 M.P.H. at Jabbeke, Belgium, 30 May, 1949. Certified By D. W. Heynes, Chief Engineer. Jaguar Cars Ltd., Coventry, England. The D. W. Heynes part is a signature.

I've owned this car since 1969. I am starting its second restoration. I have no reason to believe that the dash plaque is not an original factory item. The "Exact Replica" (in larger print on the plaque) language always amused me because the production XK-120 did not come with an undershield, cockpit cover or Brooklands windscreen that were on the record car. If I recall correctly, all of these extra parts were listed in the factory parts catalogue for the XK-120.

Yes, I have had mine up to 120 (on the speedo), once. Just had to see if it would do it.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have owned 120s, 140s,XJ6 series 1 & 2, V-12 XJS and still the MK 1 Saloon ( 31 yrs ). I have always believe a real Jaguar tune up was running the car up to 100 each week to keep it free of carbon and sludge. Seems to work, as I have never had the running problems most people complain of. If you drive them they will reward you, but you must keep up with the schedule of maintenance to do it. Yeah, cost alittle more, when the Jags take 9 qts of oil, but they will saty together better than most think.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Larry, I couldn't agree with you more. Old Jaguars thrive on speed and regular use. Don't know about new ones; could never afford any of them.

In addition to the XK-120, I have had two others well over the 100 mark: a 1958 Mark VII (4 speed with overdrive - wish I still had that car) and a 1989 XJS V-12.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The V-12 was something else wasn't it. Mine was a 1986 Dark Grey Coupe, mounted 100watt high beams and Konis all around with front lowered 1/2" below rear. Handled great and could hit over 155mph on the track.