• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Overdrive drain magnets

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I drained the Redline MT-90 from my rebuilt trans and overdrive.1500 miles and everything works as expected.I use the od,but not aggressive,mostly with a little clutch,except for when I forget its engaged until I get the double shift in second.
The fluid was not as clean as expected.It looked like bronze/brown paint being stirred with lots very fine particles.I strained through cloth and found no large particles.
Maybe most likely the new cone clucth material but not sure.
I am thinking of putting magnets to catch any metal but not sure where or how.Do they get wired to inside or outside of sump screen or do the just sit inside the screen bowl.
Any thought or suggestions sourcing or installing the overdrive magnets or trans drain plug magnets appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think there should be a stack of ring magnets with the big plug, just below the filter. Moss sells them:

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/SearchResults.aspx?SearchText=866-220&WebCatalogID=0

In addition I use a magnetic drain plug on the box itself. I make my own using a rare earth magnet so it can hang on in case a significant piece of metal is loose in there.

Of course there can be some stuff (possibly what you are seeing) unaffected by a magnet.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What he said. The magnets were not original to the early units with the hex flats on the drain plug instead of notches, but there should be room enough for one or two of the later magnets even with the early plug and screen.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What he said. The magnets were not original to the early units with the hex flats on the drain plug instead of notches, but there should be room enough for one or two of the later magnets even with the early plug and screen.

Thanks Geo and Randall.
After closer inspection what I thought were rubber washers to secure the screen bowl between the bowl and nut in case the bolt loosened are indeed magnetic .
Still surprised by the condition of the oil after only 1500 miles.
Thanks again
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah - they're not much to look at, I've wondered if replacements could be made from ordinary 'business card' magnets.

I do not recall what I saw on my first oil change after a rebuild, but certainly the first can be expected to be the worst as things wear in. I know I had a hard time getting into 2nd for a few months, then it got broken in -- I bet that process produced some 'gold dust'.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Geo,After just checking the Moss link I see I also may be missing the distance tube,unless its stuck and didn't drop with bowl.Will check and I guess make one if its not there.
Thanks again
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The distance tube is only used with the earlier setup; with the hex flats on the plug instead of notches. There is also a bolt and washer that go through the tube, to clamp the screen in place.

With the later setup, all that is replaced by the spigot on the plug itself. There is no room for the bolt or the distance tube (and usually the threaded hole for the bolt is missing as well).

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The distance tube is only used with the earlier setup; with the hex flats on the plug instead of notches. There is also a bolt and washer that go through the tube, to clamp the screen in place.

With the later setup, all that is replaced by the spigot on the plug itself. There is no room for the bolt or the distance tube (and usually the threaded hole for the bolt is missing as well).

Thanks Randall.I guess my od ,or some of it, is earlier style because I have the hex plug and screen with bolt.I have tr3b trans with first synchro,and I believe some healey parts in the od.This was put toghether by rebuilder along with early top with fill hole and dipstick.
Thanks again
Tom

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Question: Is there any steel that wears in the trans or OD?
Non-ferrous bronze synchros could care less about magnets.
Thom 1959 TR3
#34909L(O)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Every place there is a bronze synchro, bushing or thrust washer, it rides against a steel surface. The steel wears slower (hopefully), but it still wears. Likewise, the OD clutches ride against steel, which also wears slowly.

Plus on a TR3 'crash' box, there are the bits that get torn off of first and reverse gears every time they grind a little. I have seen gears with most of the teeth gone just from that!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Question: Is there any steel that wears in the trans or OD?
Non-ferrous bronze synchros could care less about magnets.
Thom 1959 TR3
#34909L(O)

Every time you miss a shift you're putting steel in the oil.

Like you, Randall, I always assumed the bronze would take the wear before the steel shafts. Then I rebuilt those TR3 Rocker shafts. For some reason the steel rocker shafts wear many times faster than the bronze rocker arm inserts. Now I'm not sure how bronze and steel relate to one another.