• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our new fridge

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When I was a kid our frige looked like this one. Being filed with ammonia, it sprung a leak once and run us all out of the house, sure will clean out the sinuses :highly_amused:

View attachment 49266

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Reminds me of when my parents had an icebox. My Dad suggested that they get a 'fridge." My Mom said no, she wanted the whole refrigerator.

We've had our Amana since '98. Had to replace the ice maker a couple of years ago and a fan earlier this year. We dread the day we have to buy another one. This one matches the cabinets and they don't come in almond anymore.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's perfect, just like they like
big ol loop as a trap and then into the ol dee spoezer

Basil

Administrator
Boss
When I was a kid our frige looked like this one. Being filed with ammonia, it sprung a leak once and run us all out of the house, sure will clean out the sinuses :highly_amused:

View attachment 49266

I remember when I was in Basic Training, we were all doing latrine duty one day. There was some kid back in the showers cleaning them who decided to mix ammonia with Clorox bleach. The resulting gas darned near killed him! (made several of us sick, but he was by himself in a shower stall and got the brunt of it).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I worked at a Pizza restaurant as a kid we mixed bleach and ammonia together every night to help clear the dining rooms at closing .
We wanted to get the he!! out of there and start our after work drinking

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is the Samsung RF263BEAEWW

That model seem to have everything we were looking for except it was wider than we would have liked.

They have moved the delivery time up to 9.00am.

We have been in our house 30 years now and the only original appliance in the house is the Jen-air cook top. I wont go into the oven saga except to say we now have a Bosh fan oven that has needed several repairs but at least I can get the parts and do the work on it.

David

catfood

Jedi Knight
So what have we learned from this thread? Buying appliances these days is a crap shoot

Couldn't agree more!

I had to go as far as threatening legal action (handy being married to a lawyer sometimes) once when I bought a TV from an online supplier. They told me the TV was with the delivery company, the delivery company denied ever having it. After weeks of exchanges between me and the retailer (who denied it was their responsibility) the wife fired off a letter quoting the appropriate legal stuff. Amazingly two days later the TV arrived on our doorstep - however it was delivered from a local shop who, as far as I could tell, had no connection to the online retailer!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It arrived this morning with no damage to it.

Looks great. A pity it took 2 attempts to get the delivery done but looking at the truck it arrived on it is not surprising that a lot get damaged during delivery. All the appliances just jammed in the back of the truck.

Hope it lasts a long time.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - congrats on the victory at last.

Say, was the delivery truck operated by the company that sold you the refrigerator? Or did they contract out the deliveries?

Tom M.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Tom

Thank you.

Home Depot sold us the fridge and passed the sale along to Samsung who seem to contract out to local delivery company.
Probable at the lowest cost available. Only one delivery guy spoke any English and that was limited. The first delivery had a similar team makeup only difference being one guy looked to be in his 70s.
They used a shoulder sling to lift the fridge into the house. Did it with little effort and no damage to the fridge or house. Could be a family business, Grandfather, Father and sons.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We bought a Samsung about 8 years ago from Lowes and it has been a great frige. Lowes delivered it on their own truck and with their people. No damage and the guys did a great job of getting it in the house. We buy all our appliances from them, usually on sale. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hello Tom

Thank you.

Home Depot sold us the fridge and passed the sale along to Samsung who seem to contract out to local delivery company.
Probable at the lowest cost available. Only one delivery guy spoke any English and that was limited. The first delivery had a similar team makeup only difference being one guy looked to be in his 70s.
They used a shoulder sling to lift the fridge into the house. Did it with little effort and no damage to the fridge or house. Could be a family business, Grandfather, Father and sons.

David

Not exactly a criticsm of HD but, we bought a hot water heater from them. When we had problems, HD blamed the manufacturer who blamed the installer who blamed HD. In retrospect, I would probably look for a specialty company to reduce the opportunities for deflection of responsibility. I say not exactly a criticism because ultimately we were happy and I don't believe HD is unique in this practice.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The Clark Jewell stove, Hygienic ice box and GE fridge been my only appliances. Microwave is the 3rd or 4th.

IMG_2033 (1).jpg

Hope this didn't just jinx the fridge, I've got $25 in it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The Clark Jewell stove, Hygienic ice box and GE fridge been my only appliances. Microwave is the 3rd or 4th.

View attachment 49312

Excellent! I welcome you to the Frugal Zealot club!

:encouragement:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yea I'm cheap.

Same here. But I call it "smart".

Buying the latest thing - it'll still be out of date eventually.

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure 19/19/6, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure 20/0/6 result misery." - Charles Dickens: David Copperfield.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

View attachment 49312

Is that a manual coffee grinder attached to the cabinet to the left of the fridge?