• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our new fridge

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Every time I read these reports, I wonder ... does a refrigerator or oven really need a motherboard!

Back in the day, the disk drives on the Osborne I computers would get so hot, users could swear they could fry an egg on the top of the case.

Discouraging when today's appliance hardware is probably still working fine, but the electronics prevent its use.

grumble grumble

View attachment 49247

Lemme guess - your kitchen today? Remember when the most complicated electronic component if a fridge was the lightbulb?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can still remember the fridge my grandparents had in their apartment. It had a gas pilot light burning below it and as a kid it drove me crazy to see a flame in the bottom of a fridge.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Not my kitchen! I don't have room for a frige - the firewood takes up too much space.

:lol:

Just an ice box then?

alice again.jpg

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
A brand made in Kiwi Land....
A brand based in Kiwi Land.

The bosses' offices are there. Manufacturing varies. Per their website, F&P has "manufacturing in Mexico, Italy, Thailand and China."

We used to have a very cool, locally founded, locally manufactured appliance company right here in OC, California. F&P bought them, laid everybody off, shuttered the factory and shipped all production offshore. (not to Italy.) :(

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A brand based in Kiwi Land.

The bosses' offices are there. Manufacturing varies. Per their website, F&P has "manufacturing in Mexico, Italy, Thailand and China."

We used to have a very cool, locally founded, locally manufactured appliance company right here in OC, California. F&P bought them, laid everybody off, shuttered the factory and shipped all production offshore. (not to Italy.) :(

Thanks for that update... I didn't know that. I guess it doesn't surprise me as that's what the rest of the world is doing-- finding cheap labor.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There's a company near here,in Arcata,CA,
that makes refrigerators with the motors on top of the unit -
now doesn't that make a lot of sense?
Of course,they aren't cheap.

www.sunfrost.com

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Looks like Fisher & Paykel don't exactly have a strong reliability reputation.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/fisher_paykel.html

Ah, for the days of US made Frigidaire, Kelvinator, International Harvester, Westinghouse ...

Why, the frost-free Westinghouse refrigerator even had doors which open automatically. Well, usually automatically.

Note the extreme closeup of her face, as the crew try forcing the door open.

number6

Jedi Trainee
Having been in the business it always amazed me how companies would dress up new appliances with all the gadgets, like our cars. One of the big deals about electronic ovens was the accuracy. GE used a platinum tipped thermistor to give oven accuracy of a degree or 2 either way. Not really needed as cooking really isn't an exact science. On refers the electronics gave adaptive defrost and the ability of the fridge to learn the times the doors are open the most and operate efficiently. Yes they do save energy, but higher cost initially means years to get that cost back. A friend and co salesman redid his house and installed a Sub Zero refer, considered the Rolls Royce of american fridges. Prices start north of 6 grand. First 2 years he replaced 2 boards and the dispenser motor. 3rd thru 6th year he replaces the internal valves controlling ice production and water dispensing. His comment to me was he was glad to buy the extended warranty for 150.00. I have had German appliances in my house for 34 years since 1986 and in that time I have fixed the BBQ thermostat once for 38.00. Not one other thing has happened to any of them except I am tired of looking at them. Fancy electronics also allowed you to start washers and dishwashers at a later time to save heating energy. Bad idea to allow an appliance to run unattended when you are not there or awake. Ask me how I know, the answer concerns my K aid dishwasher.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is due to be delivered on Wednesday 28 between 11.30 am and 3.00 pm. Hope it arrives undamaged this time.

On a different note.
The first fridge that I came in contact with was my parents fridge in South West Ireland in 1959/60. It was a kerosene model and the wick had to be maintained every week. It had an ice tray making about 12 lumps of ice.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No personal experience but a friend has a P&F "two drawer" type dishwasher. So far they really like it.

Coincidence: my next door neighbor has a two drawer F&P dishwasher also. Had it for ten years, and it's been repaired six or seven times. Those F&P appliances are *expensive*!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Coincidence: my next door neighbor has a two drawer F&P dishwasher also. Had it for ten years, and it's been repaired six or seven times. Those F&P appliances are *expensive*!

I've had my Bosch Dish Washer for at least ten years. So far I have had one problem with the water not heating properly. I did some internet research (it was out of warranty) and found it to be a common issue with this model wherein a solder joint comes lose. I repaired the joint myself about 3 years ago and it's been working fine ever since. I only bought this model because it was a discontinued model and we got a good deal on it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My GE Monogram fridge and dishwasher are still running after 28 years. Yes, I have had minor problems but I've always been able to make the repairs. The last problem was that the detergent cup would not open and the small motor was no longer available. I bought a small motor from a microwave that rotates the food. It fit perfectly and is still running fine 4 years later.