• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Other stories that we hear

Steppenwolf

In my other post : Truth or Story

I mention a couple of "stories" that I heard after purchasing my first British Sports car.

But as I am back here now looking at this forum; reading and seeing things I realized that there were lots of these "stories"
that were near impossible to prove.

What stories have you heard that you are not sure if they are true?

OP
S

Steppenwolf

Re: Other stories that we here

Here is another story that I heard back in the 70's when I got my first British car.

The Two Tone color scheme was "invented" here in the US by this old paint master who worked for Kjell Qvale ( Shell Kavale ) at his 'British Motor Car Distributors' in San Francisco.

I know that I was well aware of the two tone color scheme on Austin Healey's way before I ever thought that I would own one. There was a time in the 50's when I thought that the only people who purchased " a foreign car " were un-patriotic " and along with my American Muscle car buddies would call " those people "
" commies " It's amazzing what education can do for you <vbg>

In any event, I met this paint and body guy with-in days of getting my car on the road as he was recommended to me by the two brothers who got my car running after delivering it to them with a few boxes of engine parts. I purchased a pig in a poke since I had no idea if it ran or not and never owning a British car of any kind. They got the car running and turned me on to Charlie the " Paint Master " or
" Artist " as he would refer to himself. He told me that HE "invented" the color schemes and originally you could only get them in specific color combinations and if you saw any other combination it was not original.

Unless someone has historic information about the two tone paint scheme on the Healy; Charlies story is the one I believe.

Country flag

From what I've read the 'two-tone' paint scheme was first applied to 100s that were factory modified to LeMans specs, though some 'non-M' cars shipped with two-tone paint as well. I suspect some two-tone paint schemes were added by dealers as two-tone paint was a bit of a fad in the mid- to late-fifties; e.g. Corvettes and a few other cars.

Also, many, if not most of the 100S's came in the OEW/Lobelia Blue scheme, possibly because that's (sort of) US racing colors. Possibly, the two-tone 100S scheme pre-dated use on 100Ms (note liberal use of 'possibly').

Bet the Concours Guys know this one ...

OP
S

Steppenwolf

So you're saying that the cars shipped here painted in the two tone paint scheme?

I know Charlie was talking about the late 40's or early 50's.

Do we know when AH was first imported?

Country flag

Steppenwolf said:
So you're saying that the cars shipped here painted in the two tone paint scheme?

From the AHCUSA Resource Book and Membership Guide, 2011 Edition, p226:

In 1955, beginning with the then-current BN1 series cars, the DHMCo undertook a program to modify new cars with certain performance upgrades. These cars were modified and sold as new as the 100M model. In addition to the components in the Le Mans Engine Modification Kit, these cars were fitted with:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] 8.1:1 high compression pistons [*] Race-type anti-roll bar (1/2-inch) [*] Louvered bonnet and Le Mans regulation leather bonnet strap[*] Two-tone paint (in most cases)[/list]

I believe the Piggott book agrees, but I don't have it handy. I don't know anything definitive about the 6-cyl cars.

I think A-Hs first made it to the States some time in 1955.

OP
S

Steppenwolf

Bob_Spidell said:
Steppenwolf said:

From the AHCUSA Resource Book and Membership Guide, 2011 Edition, p226:

In 1955, beginning with the then-current BN1 series cars, the DHMCo undertook a program to modify new cars with certain performance upgrades. These cars were modified and sold as new as the 100M model. In addition to the components in the Le Mans Engine Modification Kit, these cars were fitted with:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] 8.1:1 high compression pistons [*] Race-type anti-roll bar (1/2-inch) [*] Louvered bonnet and Le Mans regulation leather bonnet strap[*] Two-tone paint (in most cases)[/list]

I believe the Piggott book agrees, but I don't have it handy. I don't know anything definitive about the 6-cyl cars.

I think A-Hs first made it to the States some time in 1955.

For what it's worth: Charlie worked for Kjell Qvale
( pronounced Shell KaValee )
In this wiki article it mentions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjell_Qvale
Kjell is reported to be one of the first importers of most British cars. It always stuck me as odd that British Motor Car Distributors was in San Francisco. Seemed like an odd place to import cars from Britten. In any event Charlie talked about his part in developing the paint schemes back in the 50's. I used to bust him about him copying the pattern of the Ford Crestliner which only came to two color schemes with that similar shape of the side color ( Black ) on a Bronze or Chartreuse color.

Country flag

I think the Healeys were 'tight' with Kjell Qvale; it's quite possible he (or Charlie) suggested the paint scheme to DMH.

OP
S

Steppenwolf

Bob_Spidell said:
I think the Healeys were 'tight' with Kjell Qvale; it's quite possible he (or Charlie) suggested the paint scheme to DMH.

Pardon my brain freeze but what does "tight" mean?

OP
S

Steppenwolf

Bob_Spidell said:
Steppenwolf said:
Bob_Spidell said:

Pardon my brain freeze but what does "tight" mean?

Colloquialism (slang) meaning friends or associates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjell_Qvale

Funny that i know the word "tight" used to infer that meaning but for some reason it didn't click that way until you refreshed my memory.

i know that wiki get's a bad rap but i like it.

Thanks for getting me straight on that.