• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Capacity 3000

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
How many US Quarts of oil to fill 3000 engine with a spin on K&N filter? I put 7 qts in but have read from 6.5 to 8.5. Thanks Bob

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
BlueRidge2 said:
How many US Quarts of oil to fill 3000 engine with a spin on K&N filter? I put 7 qts in but have read from 6.5 to 8.5. Thanks Bob
It varies a bit. Where does 7 quarts put it on the dip stick? Probably best to run a bit below the full mark.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BlueRidge2 said:

Hi BR2. Dave is correct . The six cylinder engines should never be filled with more than 7 Quarts of oil.---Keoke

OP
B

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks guys. I had only run the car about an hour total since the rebuild and that was just to break the cam and lifters in and it's been 14 months since I last cranked it up. I decided to drain the oil and change the filter today before running the engine again. I turned the oil filter upside down and only 3 drips of oil came out .It was the fram ph 3600. I replaced it with a K&N Filter. I will have to put the oil pressure gauge back on the car and take the spark plugs out and crank it over to re fill the filter and prime the system. I think the spec I seen for 8.5 quarts was for a race car. Thanks again Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob, be sure and use either Castrol GTX or Valvoline VR1 oil of your choice in weight. Best weight on a new build seems to be 20/50W.---Fwiw-Keoke

Country flag
Is the variation in amount of oil due to how bashed the bottom pan is? (joke) Is there a difference between the aluminum and the original in the quantity of oil? (no joke, actual question)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NO<span style='font-size: 20pt'> </span>

blueridge2, i also installed the spin on filter adapter a while ago and vaigly remember that it was possible to not have the inlet/outlet holes from the block lined up correctly with the adapter,at least on the one i used, if youve ever run your car with the new filter i would expect more then just three drops to come out! once you run your engine again and its warmed up,id spin the filter out a bit to make sure oil is actually going through it.but not while the engine is running fwiw.

OP
B

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
Anthony, I'll check it . I think it drained off due to the lack of an anti drain valve but I will check as you advise. Thanks Bob

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke said:
BlueRidge2 said:

Hi BR2. Dave is correct . The six cylinder engines should never be filled with more than 7 Quarts of oil.---Keoke

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm baffled. I just changed the oil in my BJ8, I use the canister filter with paper element. I filled with seven US quarts, ran the car to pressure and checked the dipstick,

It reads exactly on the MIN mark!!!

What's up with that?

Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
dar100 said:
Keoke said:
BlueRidge2 said:

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm baffled. I just changed the oil in my BJ8, I use the canister filter with paper element. I filled with seven US quarts, ran the car to pressure and checked the dipstick,

It reads exactly on the MIN mark!!!

What's up with that?

Dave

Hi Dar100, I really do not know except that you may have the wrong dip stick installed in the engine.---Keoke-?

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
My last oil change on my BJ8 with a spin on K&N filter took exactly 7 quarts to show exactly full on the dipstick after running the engine, turning it off, and allowing time for the oil to run back into the pan.

sjgcpa

Country flag
I had heard from a member of our club that he preferred the K&N filters to the Fram 3600. What is the number of the K&N when you order and where do you get them? I just changed the oil, used a Fram filter and it took 7 quarts also.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Not near my Healey right now, but I believe it is the K&N HP 2009. I get mine at my local NAPA.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dave,
Just a thought, you might want to check the dipstick tube to see if it’s fully seated in the engine block. It should be 4 ½” from the block to the lip of the flange according to measurements I had received from a similar question. I believe the earlier engines had a longer tube, but I’m not sure where (or if) the change-over happened.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The length of the dip stick that fits inside the dip stick tube measures 17 3/16 inches from the bottom side of the washer on the dip stick to the end of the stick. Most BJ8's used this tube although a few very early BJ8 engines had the earlier tube according to the Moss Cat.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Greg and Shorn: these are useful bits of info, I will check these dimensions this afternoon.

The car is still on stands from the winter and I'm trying to have it down and out of the garage today. I ran the car again for 20 minutes or so and let the oil settle, it measured 1/2 way between min and max! I'm beginning to suspect the tube may be loose. I have exactly seven quarts in now and I'm going to keep a close watch on it. Thanks for your help.