• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Odometer gears for the early pot metal speedometer

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Odometer gears for the early pot metal speedometer, does anyone know where to purchase them? I did scrounge some out of an old speedo, but one side of the gear is striped. However, I did flip them around and I will try them, but the gear has seen better days. I think I remember Art actually making some a while back. In addition, what would be a fitting grease to use on the shaft? I was thinking some of that synthetic grease for brake installation.

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Speaking of speedometers... anyone have a spare trip reset knob and shaft for my 57 they care to part with??

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Speaking of speedometers... anyone have a spare trip reset knob and shaft for my 57 they care to part with??

Good luck. I've been looking for 14 months without luck. The last one that turned up on EBay brought $49. I am considering making my own from pictures...

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
... I think I remember Art actually making some a while back...

Yes, I did make a couple awhile back. I bought some nylon gears from McMaster-Carr that were the same diameter and same number of teeth as the original fiber gears. I had to drill the hole larger, file the depth of the teeth deeper and maybe something else I forgot, but they did press on and are still working.

IMG_0302.JPG

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
You guys are killing me. I was hoping there was a source for the gears. I made a reset for a tin can model, but it was a few years back and then sold the car (big mistake) forgot how much love and work I put into it. When you guy remove the guts from a pot metal can, do you take the glass off then the needle and face then then undo trip rod, or reach in through the light socket and undo the cotter key from the trip rod and pull the guts out with the face and needle on like you might do on a tach?

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I made a few on my lathe from delrin rod.If my memory is correct, they are 20 teeth. The teeth were cut by grinding a tool to fit the tooth profile and dragging the tool against the blank like a shaper. There was a 40 tooth gear on the spindle that was used to index the cut. Crude, but it worked.
I contacted a vendor that specializes in producing speedometer gears and I think the minimum volume necessary to justifying make the dies (for injection molding or extruding) was at least 1,000 pieces.
Berry

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Is this the reset shaft?
Berry
View attachment 36005

Close, but that's not it. The TR2/3 reset knob has a tube soldered to a spring, soldered to a knurled knob. The spring is usually covered with a plastic sleeve so it is not visible. The whole thing is a bit longer than the knob in your picture...

I have gone through 6 speedos this last year...from Ebay, from Marv, from my junk pile...and all the reset knobs are missing. The shaft inside the speedo breaks and the knob falls out and goes to the wind!

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was just curious about the part in the photo. It appears to be a reset shaft, but I do remember that the one on my TR3A (quite a few years ago) did have a knurled brass knob on the end. If someone would care to post a dimensioned sketch, it would be pretty easy to make a workable one.
Berry

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's some pics from my files. Doesn't answer all questions.
Frank

Attachments

• ReSet_1.jpg
    ReSet_1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 66
  • ReSet_2.jpg
    ReSet_2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 68
  • ReSet_3.jpg
    ReSet_3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 70
  • ReSet_4.jpg
    ReSet_4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67
  • ReSet_5.jpg
    ReSet_5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 67
  • ReSet_6.jpg
    ReSet_6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 68
OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
This one I am working on right now I cannot seem to get the needle off. Any ideas/ THEY JUST PULL OFF CORRECT?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
This one I am working on right now I cannot seem to get the needle off. Any ideas/ THEY JUST PULL OFF CORRECT?

If you can hold the aluminum disc with a finger and then twist the needle, it usually loosens it. But, yes, it does just pull off.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Got it John the twist is what did it. I have actually got them apart without removing the face and needle by undoing the cotter key on the trip control through the light socket hole, but I do not recommend it because getting the cotter in and out with those surgical tools from a doctor’s office is too much. I got that idea by calling and talking to one of those gauge repair guys in California, but I think he was messing with me now that I look back at it.