• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 New VTO15x6 in for the Triumph TR3-TR6

VTO has been out of the silver Classic 8 wheels for the big Triumphs for a few months now, well we got them in now, and for the first time we have the Classic 8 in the black center for the big Triumphs as well, and the new Retro 4 in both black and silver for TR3-6 as well. Give me shout if interested.

Attachments

• 23772.jpg
    23772.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 615
OP
Hap Waldrop
Then of course the Classic 8 available in both black and silver

Attachments

• 23774.jpg
    23774.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 609

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
DNK said:
Come on Hap, Wider!!!

A six inch rim will handle a 215 tyre...that's 8.5 inches of rubber on the road. That's a lot of tire for these cars. :driving:

I like the Classic 8's...too bad I'm committed to wires. Maybe I'll stuff longer wheel studs in the TR3 so I can swap wheels and rims around. :smile:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art, Need it for the Wedge
7's and 8"s

D

Deleted member 11772

Hap,

How bout prices for the silver model 8?

THanks,
Stockybod

OP
Hap Waldrop
Don, we have 15x7 in the new wheels as well I'm pretty sure we can drill to that size, may already have them drilled. The next production run we will do 16x7 and 16x8, probably be ready by next summer.

Denny, the 15x6s are 175.00 a wheel.

Stuart, here's a old pic from the Superlite wheel days, we used to be the Superlite US distributor, before we made our own wheels, VTO. Anyway this is the only big Triumph photo I have with the 15x6 +3mm offset, which is the same as the width and offset as VTO. As far as a photo of a big Triumph to have the Retro 4 on it, well since we only had that new wheels for like 3 days, we're still waiting on the first one, I do have some customers that have been waiting on this wheel I have emailed, so there should be a set/s of them out there real soon. I've got to get you Triumph guys to send me more pictures of your cars with VTO wheels on, and also need to get more feedback from Triumph owners as to what tire sizes they are using, the education always continues.

Also, we have 15x6 in both styles, and colors, pre-drilled in 4x3/4" for you Spit/GT6, TR7/8 guys, and for you same guys wanting to stay with 13" wheel, I got 13x5.5s on a smoking hot intro deal right now thru the end of the month, $450.00 a set, have them in both colors and both stlyes.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Beautiful wheels, Hap. If I ever decide to swap out my wires, I know what I'm getting! Any thoughts about making spline-mount versions?

OP
Hap Waldrop
We did spline wheels with the Superlite, in 14" and 15" the 15" offset was pegged towards the MGBs though, so it didn't work on the Triumphs. Here's the deal on spline drive wheels, the splined adapter cost as much the wheel to make, and it's heavy as all get out, nearly doubling the weight of the wheel, then MGB guys starting doing hub swap bolt on conversions (I did this to my MGB as well), and add to that 90% of the spline drive car owners want new shiny new spoke wheels instead of alloy spline drive wheels, and it made for really expensive, heavy wheel that nobody bought.

I have no idea what you Triumph guys have to do to swap to bolt on hubs, but if as easy as it for a tube axle MGB, then thats the way to go, it will cost much less and you get a light wheel.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
I have no idea what you Triumph guys have to do to swap to bolt on hubs, but if as easy as it for a tube axle MGB, then thats the way to go, it will cost much less and you get a light wheel.

For TRs, it is pretty easy, they all used bolt-on adapters, so you just need to install longer studs. I hear you about the cost and weight, but they just look so cool....

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Darrell_Walker said:
Hap Waldrop said:

For TRs, it is pretty easy, they all used bolt-on adapters, so you just need to install longer studs...

Actually, you have to install <span style="font-weight: bold">shorter studs</span> or cut off the ones you have, or the studs will stick out past the adaptors and foul the spokes. Another alternative is to use a 1/4" spacer between the hub and the wire wheel adaptor. That would be the way to go if you want to swap around between wires and alloys.

Edit: BTW, the studs in the rear of the TR3/4's are screwed into the hub and then peened over. A real pain in the butt to change.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
martx-5 said:
Darrell_Walker said:
Hap Waldrop said:

For TRs, it is pretty easy, they all used bolt-on adapters, so you just need to install longer studs...

Actually, you have to install <span style="font-weight: bold">shorter studs</span> or cut off the ones you have, or the studs will stick out past the adaptors and foul the spokes. Another alternative is to use a 1/4" spacer between the hub and the wire wheel adaptor. That would be the way to go if you want to swap around between wires and alloys.

Edit: BTW, the studs in the rear of the TR3/4's are screwed into the hub and then peened over. A real pain in the butt to change.

Going from bolt-on to wires you are right, I was talking about what it would take to go from wires to bolt-on.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Darrell_Walker said:
Going from bolt-on to wires you are right, I was talking about what it would take to go from wires to bolt-on.

You are correct, my bad for not reading close enough. The discussion always seems to be going from steel wheels to wires, and I fell into that trap. :hammer:

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
martx-5 said:
You are correct, my bad for not reading close enough. The discussion always seems to be going from steel wheels to wires, and I fell into that trap. :hammer:

No worries. Good point about the older hubs with the threaded/peened stubs as well. Doesn't sound like any fun to change over!