• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Pertronix Distributors Available!

Rick60

Everybody,

before you decide to buy this new distributor you should have a look to this kind of distributor. No advance springs, no contacts, no vacuum advance unit that can wear. Many things gone electronically which used to fail in your old dizzys. Plus you have 16 different advance curves to select from via a little switch. Only wearing parts are cap and rotor, which are standard Bosch items.

A simple plug'n'play exchange job done in less than an hour.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah, but at $372, is it worth the prce?

Openned my nw distributor's box y'day - looks nice...I'll try to take & post photos today.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Hey Tony, I know you have them for the MGs, but do you carry anything for a 'rumf? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
but do you carry anything for a 'rumf?

[/ QUOTE ]

No used parts but anything Moss carries new, I can get!

Rick60

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but at $372, is it worth the prce?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tony, it depends on how much spare parts cost, how much a flatbed costs to bring you home and last, but not least how much worth your time is.

I don't want to say that it is not possible to strand with the 123ignition, but the chance is less. I've heard of too many rotors, caps, points, condensers etc. fail and with the 123ignition you have the certainty your advance curve is as intended and will stay so.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, it depends on how much spare parts cost, how much a flatbed costs to bring you home and last, but not least how much worth your time is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wouldn't know the answer to that as in a lifetime of driving MG's, I've never had to have one towed home...I was always able to repair it on the side of the street or managed to limp it home or went home & got my trailer....& the only time it was ignition related was when my points went south (& that was my own fault!)

So, here are photos of the new Pertronix distributor I just received...can't tell where it was made - no stamp or tag on it anywhere - its completely warranteed by Pertronix & the paperwork with it says "Lucas Cast".....Its going in Jerri's '79 Glacier White GT as I found the problem with my Vermillion Red '79 & it wasn't the Crane ignition.

pertronix01.JPG

pertronix02.JPG

pertronix03.JPG

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Arn't new bits nice.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WellEric that is true.However, until a US distributor is available you could be down for some serious time waiting on a repair or a replacement part from the manufacurer. With regards to Tony's Taiwan part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,it will also allow the installation of a set of points if required to get you home.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah Tony, it looks too nice to be outah India /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, so my guess its Taiwan is probably closer to correct.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Keoke - I looked & looked because it also looks too good for Taiwan....nice thing though is its warranteed by Pertronix right here in the good ole USA!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks like a well made unit from the pix.

Cap and rotor are replaceable with the "Standard" ones? That'd be another concern.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I looked at that, Doc, & they are! & like Keoke said, if it gives you problems on the side of the road, just toss in some points to get you home!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
VERY sexy!!

Rick60

Ok, guys, I admit the Pertronix looks really good from the pics and I understand you treat 'foreign products' with reserve. I do the same.

Nevertheless, in the unlikely event my 123ignition quits working, I have my original distributor in the trunk. I would have a spare unit 2-3 days later, owners in the US would have it 7-10 days later. And the 123ignition is definitively not a far east product, manufactured completely in good old Europe.

As I understand the Pertronix distributor it still has the old-fashioned mechanical advance unit consisting of springs and bob weights, prone to wear and tear. You can only be sure of the correct advance curve when it's new, and even then manufacturing tolerances make it not really trustworthy (IMHO). 123ignition advance curves stay the same within less than 0.5 degrees (crankshaft) throughout its (and your) life.

123_bosch_blk_small.jpg

If you have a (slightly) modified engine or are planning to modify it, it is most likely that your engine needs another advance curve. With 123ignition it's just a switch which you can select 16 advance curves from. No hassle with building your own springs and disassembling the dizzy to discover that the springs installed don't give the results you wished for.

123-switch_small.jpg

The 123ignition has no vacuum advance unit like the Pertronix. What do you think how long this kind of advance unit will provide the advance originally intended?

What does the Pertronix dizzy do against rough running each engine has due to slight deviances in the energy each cylinder (slightly differing compression) contributes to the overall performance? 123ignition detects this and adjusts the timing of each cylinder individually. Plus it has an automatic dwell control (measures the amount of current flowing into the coil, in such a way that the strongest possible spark is guaranteed at all engine speeds, whilst keeping the coil cool) and cuts off the power to the coil when engine is not running (invaluable when working on the engine and you don't want to switch ignition on and off and on and off).

123-opened1_small.jpg
123-opened2_small.jpg

No offense intended, but I think Pertonix's distributor has no resources against the 123ignition.

Other opinions may vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
Citroen technology with Holland(ase) sauce...........

no doubt the 123 is a nice part. BUT..its priced was out of line for the market for this product. Either 7's in Nor Cal or Mini Mania have sold a few and at US$400+, at that price there is not much of a market.

The Mallory with a Unilite or points (run it on one set only) works well and can be set up easily with anyone with a Sun unit if a custom curve is necessary. Other suppliers carry this part...other than Moss and VB and is discounted heavily.

Same with the Pertronix. They are gonna sell a lot of them. They are price friendly ...again once you check Tonys price or shop around (other than Moss).

Also for the person that asked using the A-B pieces is an easy modification to fit a Spit.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Now that I have my Pertronix dizzy installed, I've developed a problem with my carb jets coming apart.

This wouldn't have been a problem with a Weber. Must.....Resist......

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That 123 dizzy sure looks and sounds like an outstanding unit, but I'd have to increase the amount of insurance on my car since it would be such a large percentage of the overall value!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, but I ain't gonna wait no 10 days for I can get to go.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Wkillheffer, that problem will go away if you switch to "HD's"---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif