• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Healey Owner

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, half-owner - friend and I went in together and acquired a BJ8, '64/'65 vintage. Not sure what exactly we're going to do regarding bringing it back to life; depends on what we find as we dive into it.

Picture makes it look pretty good, and all things considered it does appear to be, once we cleaned all the grime from it. Looks like it has been through at least one repaint - current color seems too orange to be Healey (Colorado?) red. There is rust to deal with - only serious structural issue is the condition of the two radius arm boxes. Otherwise, there's some rust to repair on the floors and trunk. Fuel tank is toast, interior is pretty much non-existent, top frame is fine, except for its wooden parts, etc., etc. Body is sound; some light bondo here and there, and a few dimples to be dealt with. Chrome is excellent, all gauges, switches and wiring is present, though wiring will most likely need replacing.

We're going to start tearing into it tomorrow and see if we can start it. It's been sitting since '03, but our understanding is that the motor was rebuilt not long before then. Of course, brake and clutch hydraulics will be rebuilt. After we get it running and stopping safely, we'll determine where to go from there. I really wish I had room/finances/SWMBO's permission (;)) to keep it myself, but probably not in the cards.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you folks for info/advice/sympathy in the coming months as we explore this beast.

Best,
Mickey

Healey .jpg

Country flag
This side shot appears to show good body panel alignment, not often found on a car with this, uh, 'provenance.' Colorado Red is orangeish, but not usually this much; have you acquired the BMIHT cert?

Good luck and have fun!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
This side shot appears to show good body panel alignment, not often found on a car with this, uh, 'provenance.' Colorado Red is orangeish, but not usually this much; have you acquired the BMIHT cert?

Good luck and have fun!
Hey, Bob - thanks! No BMIHT yet.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Does it have the arm rest that opens? If so, I am just finishing an early BJ8 so if you need pictures, let me know.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Does it have the arm rest that opens? If so, I am just finishing an early BJ8 so if you need pictures, let me know.
Not much in the way of interior at all, so I don't know if it had it or not. Will get back to you if so - thanks!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Reid - good to know!

Country flag
Am I seeing possible collusion here ;)

Note my BJ8 was originally Colorado Red, but was repainted in a bronze metal-flake, then to a GM color called 'Peking Red*' which appears to be a good approximation for Colorado.

* Why are there so many 'chinese' reds (i.e. for the fan shield, etc.)?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got into it a bit yesterday: pulled the door face plates/sill covers, and inner sills and rockers look good - a bit rusty, but quite solid. Also, radius arm boxes look better than we thought, but the rear floor panels will need replacing. Evidence points to Colorado Red as original color, though the hood has some BRG paint under the red, so it must have been replaced at some point.

Jerry - it does have a console arm rest - didn't see it initially. But it's going to need some work, along with all the other soft interior bits.

Jim found a set of seats, upholstered in blue vinyl with white piping, a white top, wood for the top frame and a steering wheel (rough, but better than what we have), exhaust down pipes, and a black tonneau cover - all for under $300!

Gonna try to get it started next week...

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have the chassis number, and it's an early Phase 2, not a Phase 1 with the cubby box on the center console. (Note also the push-button door handles.)
Reid, how is it that you have the chassis number, and I don't? The exterior features of the car show it to be an early Phase 2, so it would not have the cubbybox console originally. Of course, some people have installed them in Phase 2 cars. And do we know that the chassis number it claims is really the one it left the factory with? lnquiring minds (especially those who have seen a lot of mis-identified BJ8s) would like to know!

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Reid, how is it that you have the chassis number, and I don't? The exterior features of the car show it to be an early Phase 2, so it would not have the cubbybox console originally. Of course, some people have installed them in Phase 2 cars. And do we know that the chassis number it claims is really the one it left the factory with? lnquiring minds (especially those who have seen a lot of mis-identified BJ8s) would like to know!

The owner - Mickey Richaud - is a fellow British Car Forum moderator and he contacted me privately and supplied the chassis number. Send him a PM to introduce yourself and/or direct him to the Registry webpage here.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Update: We've had a couple of delays before being able to get into it a bit. But here's what we've found thus far:

We were able to spin the starter over, after pulling it and cleaning up the brushes and armature contacts. Didn't measure pressure, but did get oil topside, so that's promising. Did a compression check and results were pretty disappointing - #2 cylinder was at zero, others ranged from 15-120. Found that #2 exhaust valve is stuck open. Pulled the head (Boy, is that dude heavy!), and were able to pop the valve back closed, though its action is very stiff. Pushrods all in good shape. Will be sending the head to the machine shop for a refresh.

Cylinders and piston tops look good. We figure the rings are probably stuck, so we filled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil and will let that do its magic and see what develops there. We're hopeful that the bottom end is in good shape, but we shall see.

The only other thing to report is that the transmission oil is very clean; shifts through all positions easily.

Overall, we're still pleased with our find. Jury's still out as to how far we'll be going with this...