• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

National Club Publications

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'm looking for a little "market feedback" here, and perhaps you can help me out.

For the past three years I have been editor of Austin-Healey Magazine, published by the Austin-Healey Club USA, and beginning next year I'll be editor of Healey Marque, published by the Austin-Healey Club of America. Given the time and effort I put into club publications, you can imagine that I am very interested in how they are received and perceived.

However, my current question is addressed primarily to those who do not belong to either national club and who do not, therefore, get their publications. I am interested in why you don't belong to one or both national Austin-Healey clubs.

Have you belonged before and found it not worth it? If so, please specify what disappointed you.

Have you never belonged to either national club? If not, could you please tell me why you haven't tried one or the other?

Obviously this applies primarily to people living in North America, even though both national clubs welcome members from anywhere in the world.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts. I'm a firm believer that club membership is a tremendous bargain, and I'd like to better understand the thoughts of those who don't agree. Thanks again.

Ray Smith

Jedi Hopeful
Reid,

Glad to see the post. I have not joined because I am unsure of which publication would best suit my needs. Perhaps members could give me some feedback as to the contents of the various Healey mags. I received the MGA NAMGAR mag and the BMW Roundel. Both are excellent publications.

Ray

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Reid,

I have not joined because I am unsure of which publication would best suit my needs. Perhaps members could give me some feedback as to the contents of the various Healey mags. Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray--

Without being glib, the answer is BOTH. I enjoy reading "Healey Marque", the magazine of the AHCA and also look forward to "Austin Healey Magazine" published by AHCUSA. Reid has been editor of the latter and has done a sensational job, as I am sure he will continue to do when he switches over to HM. AHCUSA magazine's new editor Gary Anderson is a known quantity to all of us from his past work at "British Car Magazine" and I think that those of us who get both publications are in for a real treat in the coming years.

BTW I support the continuance of all National Clubs--more clubs means more events!

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I second that emotion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Both clubs offer Healey enthusiasts different events, more articles, more information about Healeys of all sorts!
Both editors are outstanding and many folks look forward to their copies of both magazines! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The more opportunities to look at and read about Healeys, the better. Particularly here in the Northeast where the motoring time is somewhat limited by Mother Nature.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
I'm sorry I can't be as positive about the two publications. I am disappointed that they often have duplicate content. In the "Professional" magazine world, this is TABOO. Why the heck do I subscribe to both? Because, I'm afraid I'll miss something good in the one I don't have. I genuinley wish that the two clubs would pool their efforts, at least in this area, and work to have one, superior, publication.

That said, I must say that I enjoy variety in the contents. It is nice when the magazine has some history, including old advertisments and reprints of articles from days gone by in addition to Club happenings, and technical articles. I also think the efforts to document current history with a "Members Cars" section and promoting the future of the Healey are worthy of being in print.

After my rant, above, I must also say, THANK YOU to the editors of these publications, because they DO make a big differnece in the quality of Healey ownership, by providing information that would otherwise be lost and forgotten.

In summation: Variety, Yes! Duplication, No!

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Congratulations Reid on your recent new post. Without people like yourself (and I'd like to add Basil to that short list also)that are willing to devote many long hours of personal time for the betterment of others we all would suffer tremendously. After saying that I would like to add that neither of those magazines would be successful without the input from people who actually own, love, and work on the car we all love so much. Hats off to all of us.

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
OK, I have made this thread "un-stickie" which means that it will no longer be at/near the top of the message list unless there are fresh additions to it. Please continue to feel free to respond, opine, rant (politely), question, etc. I'm always interested in feedback on this matter.