• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Motorcycles

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
You probably don't want a Magna. That V4 isn't the easiest thing to work on. Bit hyper in personality as well.

Don't kid yourself about not having enough speed with something like the Suzuki GS750. Russ Collins drag raced them for a reason.

Something I don't see is a description of what sort of riding your planning to do. The type and size of the bike have a tremendous impact on that.

I've got an old 60's 175 Honda for example that does just fine for puttering around town and such. Yea it's slow for a motorcycle, but I can keep up with anything 4 wheeled up to about 40 mph. While the bike will reach about 70 mph and is legal on the interstate, it isn't fun. But it's nimble and handy around town or exploring quiet back roads.

The old UJM (universal japanese motorcycle) bikes like the Kawasaki KZ, Suzuki GS, Honda C_ are all quite doscile and capable in the mid ranges, roughly 400-700 cc. The small side isn't as nice on the interstate, but they sure are easier to handle when puttering along or when considering falling over. Their engines are universally quite tame. They are all quite reliable and repairable.

You don't mention your leg length, and that's an important issue. If you can't solidly put your feet on the ground, things become quite interesting. Some bikes are quite tall at the saddle. Don't under estimate the importance of solid footing when astride a bike.

V

vagt6

Holy cow, it's foxy! Good to have your comments and suggestions here, Fox.

Keep it comin'!

-- Mark in C'ville

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not to beat a dead horse here or anything, but it's hard to go wrong with a basic Japanese commuter-type bike. They may not be "sexy," but they're dependable and predicatable. You can learn alot. Think Honda Nighthawk or Kawasaki ZR-4.

I've taken a training course, and it was great. Look for one from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Passing that course got me a 10% insurance discount, and I didn't have to take the state's test at the Dept. of Safety. They used 250cc bikes there like Rebels, 250cc Nighthawks, and a Yamaha Virago.

All the advice to buy a sensible bike fell on deaf ears with me. I bought a Royal Enfield. Not a terrible choice or anything, but it's hard not to wonder if I would ride more often and enjoy something a little more modern. Just a thought. When the Enfield's good, it's great, but it can also be quite cranky, and doesn't do well on the interstate.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Enfield... Interstate...

William, I admire your pluck.

...or your optimism, one.

"Jou got SOME stones, mang!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
This may be a little late but I feel inclined to shed some light on the biggest sleeper bike ever built - the Yamaha Radian.

I've owned many, many motorcycles but this is the one I wish I had (and would have kept) in my stable. When I was just-a-lad, I worked my way through aircraft mechanic school by wrenching at a local Honda dealer. One of the perks of the job was that you could ride any of the bikes that were demos or on consignment (with consent of the owners, of course). There was one for sale there for a while and there was never much of a waiting list for the Radian as the weekend loaner until the secret got out. She wasn't the best lookin' gal at the dance but, man, was she fun!

Inline-4, 600cc engine straight out of the 600cc sportbikes of the time and geometry of a standard. Very comfortable, could ride for hours without feeling like you were on a torture rack (like the sportbikes had/have a tendency to do) and bulletproof mechanicals.

It's very similar in styling to the Nighthawk but handles better, IMHO, and can probably be had for not-much dosh.