• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Motorcycles

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
So it seems like some fellow gear heads here might be into the motorcycle world. I've been following them, at a distance, for a little while now and after a very tempting couple of weeks, I'm preparing (read: studying) to take my written test and find a bike to learn on.

I'm hoping some of you guys have some reccomendations about what's a good learning bike, what has alot of character, what's going to be somewhat reliable. So far, I know I'm not really a fan of Harley's, I DO like the Honda look a-likes, I really don't care for crotch rockets (although they do look like fun).

For a first time bike I've been thinking about something right above the Honda renegade, maybe Honda Shadow genre. The biggest issue would be price, it needs to be CHEAP. Because this is completly a toy (in the sense that I have plenty of practicle transportation vehicles), I'm limiting myself to 700. I'm also limiting myself to a 300 insurance budget, so it has to be something the big guys will let slide cheap.

Any reccomendations out there? Anybody got a bike that they would like to reccomend? I'm going to be looking for a good buy in the upstate NY region. Maybe some good lituratue so that I can pass the written test on the first try.

Ben

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
If you keep in the 750cc or under range you should find something. Insurance is no issue. In that price range there's no need to carry anything but liability. Don't know what you might have to pay, but I pay $24/year for that on each of my bikes. Take the MSF course if you're a new rider. www.msf-usa.org

davelgee

Used Honda interceptor, 500/700 cc from the late 80s to the mid 90s. Cheap, tractable, bullet proof motorcycles as are the 750/900/1100 series of CB F/C from a slightly earlier era. Take your time and find a low miles good one. Another one is the XS 650 Yamahas, harder to find but simpler to maintain and superior bikes for a novice. If you insist on something newer the Yamaha 600 from the the late 90s is the rocket of choice as are the 800cc Interceptors, same vintage.
Of course you could find a Honda GB500 or a Kawasaki 650 made in the mid to late 90's as a Triumph look alike, harder to find but cheaper than buying a fake harley. Or just spring for a Yamaha SRX 600/250 (get the 600) a Japanese take on the BSA Gold Star.
I don't think you need to worry about much depreciation with any of these choices.
Just my .02

Cheers!
Dave G.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Drop down 1 Forum to the "British Motorcycles" forum - you'll probably get lots of input there.....however, a friend of mine just bought a Honda Rebel to learn to ride & will sell it when he feels ready for a bigger bike.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
a friend of mine just bought a Honda Rebel to learn to ride & will sell it when he feels ready for a bigger bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did exactly that. Bought a nice little used Suzuki 250 cc to play with and learn on. I had a little motorcycle as a kid (90 cc) but that was years ago when I was bulletproof. There are lots of old Honda, Suzuki, and other small older street bikes that would be cheap to buy and easy to sell for learning. I know that bravado and testmonials from folks encourage bigger bikes for the first owner, but we see lots of first timers in the ER who didn't know how to handle the power and braking required of even modest sized bikes. Just my opinion.

OP
saabmp3

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Tony,
Thanks for the idea, I've been reading the British Motorbike forum but felt that I'm not really deserving of that forum. For my first bike, I doubt I'll get a british one.

Davelgee,

I'm not exactly a stickler about new stuff, I would prefer something older, but in better condition for the same price of a newer, abused bike.

The first hits so far have been with a 80's Honda Aero, 80's Honda Rebel (although it looks a little too small physically for me) and maybe a Honda XJ. Finding one will probably be the most difficult part as eBay prices seem a little inflated, craigslist (in upstate NY) doesn't seem to have quite a bit of selection.

Ben

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PAGSTA

I was just getting my chain saw chain sharpened & saw a Pagsta - 250cc Honda engine...brand new bike for less than $3000!

OP
saabmp3

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Alright, so there seems to be quite a bit of back and forth in the displacement area...

750cc's, no matter what year, seems to be the far upper limit. Now, for stuff below this I'm not exactly sure what I want. Comparing this to car power, I don't want anything near the power (in car form) of my Saab turbo. Sure, I like going fast as much as the next guy, but cruising is really more my style (aka Spridget power/weight/size ratio).

What I'd really like to find out is the horsepower/torque of these bikes. I get this feeling that a brand new 250cc engine is going to be somewhat comparable to a Honda XJ 750cc of 1984; am I right here?

Oh yeah, Tony, that Pagsta "Rodsta" is beautiful, I would put that on my short list if were about 40% of the price (need to find a used one). Too much to justify at this point.

Final question (or addition to my engine size query above), out of the 10 reasons for doing this, I like to get decent gas mileage (for all my cars). I have to admit that it will factor in to whatever bike I end up getting.

Ben

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Dealer here in town (where I got my chainsaw sharpened) has 2 black ones left in showroom - $2695 sale price!

Mini_solid_black_side.jpg

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Okay, my tuppence worth.....

I used to be the sales manager for a motorcycle dealership, and came across many different machines in the course of my employment. From what you are saying, we can concentrate on a few categories that will suit your needs.

Firstly, Hondas. The rebel is too small, physically if not in displacement. I would suggest the 600cc Shadow in the cruiser category. In the standard section you might want to look at the older CB350. If you can find anything with the CB prefix you will be okay. The CB550 was a darn good machine, and provides more than enough performance for most people. Jewels in this category are the 400 Four, and the CB1, a marvellous inline 400cc four-cylinder engine. CB1s are sought-after by enthusiasts....don't let anyone tell you that machines like this are underpowered! It's the two-wheeled equivalent of the Spridget, small, light, smaller engine, plenty of attitude. Lovely! The GB500 as mentioned earlier, a wonderful machine......hard to find though, as owners tend to keep 'em, and the people looking for them outnumber the machines that come up for sale.

Kawasakis, I am not as familiar with. They did a nice little 500cc cruiser, but once again physically small, and popular with girls learning to ride. They did smaller-displacement Ninjas which are worth looking out for if you can find a well cared-for example, and their KZ standard series are good machines.

Yamaha likewise, not that conversant with them.

Suzuki has a few machines that I can mention. The GSF 400 Bandit made from 1989 on is a hoot, and very much like the Honda CB1. If you can find one, buy it! Otherwise, the GS series of standard machinery from the eighties was good, and the GS500 was always considered a great starter bike.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Small bore (400-600cc) Japanese bikes from the 80s-90s are a really good place to start. Don't have to spend much money, and they are reliable and safe to ride. I've ridden as well that Kawasaki 500cc cruiser. Not a bad bike at all, I fit pretty well (I'm 6' 1"). If you like the cruiser look, that would be a great learning bike.

My first was a KLR 650, but then again I'm pretty tall so it worked well for me. Also had one of those Kawasaki Triumph clones (W650). Sort of wish I hadn't sold it, really. To echo the advice here, get a good, small, cheap bike to start. You can always trade up if you really get into it. Be warned, you just might like it. I got my first bike since I couldn't afford a fun car, and had no garage. It was always a stop-gap for me. Sold my bike to fund the LBC project, then this past spring had to get a bike again. Couldn't be without one.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just start asking anyone you know,if they know of a bike
for sale - you might get a great deal that way.
Also,try craigslist.You might find something that you haden't thought of (there'a a Honda 550-4,& a Rokon for sale locally).

- Doug

OP
saabmp3

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Well first things first, I went down to the DMV today and straightened out my necessary permit. Now I'm free to start looking around.

Right now I have started searching for good condition Honda Nighthawk, Shadow or Magna from the early to mid 80's. The price consideration is more of a concern for now as I'm still in the "will I like this" mindset. I'm going to be buying the bike in upstate NY (Rochester, where I will be until May), so I've already started looking at the local and online clasifieds. The best way to find a good deal seems to be by word of mouth (so I'm asking as many people as I can to keep an eye out).

Ben

V

vagt6

There are so many bikes to choose from, it's mind-boggling. I suggest that first, think very carefully about what kind of riding you intend to do. And keep in mind that there's no one bike that can "do it all".

And of course, you're also limited (or freed) by your budget. How much do you wish to spend on your starter bike?

If you intend to stay on paved roads, something in the 250 -450 or so class would be a safe bet. Too much power can get you into trouble in a heartbeat.

I started riding around town on a Kawasaki KLR 250, an excellent around town bike that gets 70 MPG and will keep up with traffic under about 55 MPH very nicely. And since it's a dual sport (street/trail), it sits very high in traffic and provides excellent visibility. And, it couldn't be easier to maintain. A nice, late model used one with low miles goes for under $2,000 or so.

The Kawasaki KLR 650 is also an excellent starter bike. Not a lot of power, but enough to keep up with around town and Interstate traffic and cruise all day at 70 MPH. Tons of aftermarket goodies are available since the bike's been manufactured in it's current version for over twenty years. It has a big cult following. Gets 50+ MPG, too, and very easy to maintain. A few months ago, Cycle magazine rated it one of the ten best values for the money on today's market. New ones cost a shade over $5,000, but don't buy a new one. Find a nice used one with lots of accessories and low miles for about $3,500. Folks put 80,000 miles on these bikes with no major problems.

Again, there are so many bikes for each budget, engine displacement, riding purpose (i.e., trail, dual sport, sport touring, cruisers, crotch rockets, etc.) from which to choose. Deciding what you want to do with the bike is the key. Once you determine your intended use, how/where you want to ride, the rest is easy.

Also, please invest in quality protective gear before you ride. A top line, full face helmet, armor jacket and pants, good gloves and riding boots are a must. It's foolish not to use full gear every time you take the bike out of your yard. Cheap insurance against highway hamburger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Good luck, let us know.

OP
saabmp3

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Alright, well I want to thank everybody for the advice. It's really given me a good starting point to start my search. I've settled on the cruiser variety with small body panels. I took some time and looked at the Kawasaki KLR (actually all of the KL* models) and decided that it's too much of a dirt bike for me. This is going to be a 80% street bike, 20% highway, therefore nobby tires really are a put off for me (no offense Droo or vagt6!).

I've focused my search on the following bikes (still can open it up to more tho):

Kawasaki Vulcan I've seen a couple of these guys from the mid 80's in either the 500cc (preferrable) or 750cc well in my $700 price range. Really clean looking bike, I'm only a little concerned about the height of the seat (too low?).

Suzuki GS Either the 550 or the 750 from the late 70's to early 80's. I'm a sucker for that straight back look I guess, top speed is a concern with anything this old. It's scarry enough being blown by on the highway in my sprite, I can't imagine being the slow poke on a bike. There's actually a 750B on ebay right now, scheduled to end in 12 hours that, at it's current price (250) I'm slightly considering bidding on.

Honda Nighthawk This is the bike that I keep going back to over and over again. I've seen some sell in the Rochester, NY area for about 600 in decent condition. I personally hate the square headlight, but everything else is good. I'd be looking at a mid to late 80's model, so I bet it would be the most reliable of the group.

Honda Magna Almost too big currently (748cc) and for anything in my price range, I'd have to make some serious compromises. My buddy just picked one up for 700 that needed a new headgasket. I don't know if I want to get into that type of work. I'm really keeping this on the list because of it's size, as the biggest one of the group.

Honda CB* Re-read my nighthawk feelings.

So, anybody in the upstate NY area want to part with a bike? I know I'm not looking to spend alot*, but I am will to take something on with cosmetic problems and moderate repairs. (this is part of getting the word out).

* I finally put a price target down, sliding scale for the amount of work required. 700 max, 550 preferrable. I'm also adding about 300 on top of that for a helmet ($100), jacket ($100) boots & gloves ($100). Considering I'm not sure how much I'm going to like this, $1000 is really as much as I can put down (I understand the bike will resell for the same amount probably).

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Don't think that a 500cc machine will be slow, no matter how old. A 70/80's vintage will be capable of blowing the doors off just about anything with four or more wheels short of a Porsche 911 Turbo. In comparison to a 600cc modern sportbike, sure, it will seem slow. It's all relative. Power to weight ratio of a motorcycle is far better than most cars.

A few pointers:-

1. Try to take training classes. Invaluable.

2. Buy the best helmet you can afford. You can save a little on the boots by buying work boots that have ankle protection, so put the difference into the helmet.

3. Keep in mind that a motorcycle steers differently to a car. People say that you steer by leaning in the direction you want to go. Almost true. You steer by exerting pressure on the side of the bars that you are leaning towards, which is where that comes in. You want to go left, steer right. It is counter-intuitive, but try it on an empty parking lot and you'll see. It's called counter-steering, and it's the most useful technique you will ever learn. At slow speeds steer normally, but once you are moving at anything ten or over it all changes.

4. Semis and other large trucks move a lot of air, and when passing or being passed by one, expect the bow wave at the front to blow you away from the truck. Conversely, at the back you will be sucked in towards it. If you are expecting it you can counter the effects easily.

5. ALWAYS RIDE AS IF YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!!!! Because to a lot of the doofuses out there you will be.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I wear my old Army paratrooper boots when I ride.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That looks like a good list of starter bikes. I've ridden the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- it's a really good bike, nice motor. I fit reasonably well, and I'm 6'1" -- a bit tight, but not horribly so. You can't go wrong with a Honda. They made zillions of them, and they're very reliable. A friend of mine just got a 450 Honda from the 80s as his first bike, and he's been happy with it as his first. He'll move on next year, but that's after 2 seasons of riding.

Good luck, and be safe out there.

19MGA60

The Honda Shadow ACE 750 is a great bike. I have a 1999 and it is the best bike I have ever owned, nice looking bike, plenty of power, 50 miles per gallon of gas and you won't out grow it. I nice used one 1999 to 2001 will run $3000 to $4500 with low miles. You may think it is big to learn on but after a week you will be very pleased. If you buy a smaller bike you will want to get rid of it quickly, happens to everyone. BUT take the motorcycle course before doing anything, you may find out it really isn't what you want to do.

Tom

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
I'm a real neophyte when it comes to motorcycles. As a
kid I was told I could buy anything I want (with my
money) except for a motorcycle. As a result I never
learned to drive one. When I got the bug to get one
a few years ago, a friend offered me his Kawasaki
440 (belt drive). Its was perfect....not too heavy,
very basic bike from the early 1980's. I see these
for sale fairly often in the $300-$500 range.

A couple of years ago I bought a 1976 KZ900 (Z1)
project bike. What a monster! The engine has about
the same displacement as my Bugeye, but twice the
HP. Waaaay too heavy for me, so I sold it. That
thing scared the cr*p out of me.

Someday I'd like to get an older Brit bike to
restore. Just need to have one to go with my Britmobiles.