• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Monza Performance Muffler

Morris

Yoda
I have the 1500 version on my car. It came with my car. In my opinion the construction quality is rather poor. My muffler came painted in a non heat tolerant paint, and the yellow lines around the tips are just stickers. Once the poor paint burnt off, the muffler rusted up rather quickly.

You could probably pick up a small Cherry Bomb and a nice tip for almost half what that muffler is listed for... and NOT have to replace your muffler in 2-3 years.

My neighbor had one- couldn't figure out the rattle in his exhaust till he took it off and shook the muffler, turns out the insides had come apart.

mark

A car club member has this set up on his 1500 Midget, and nobody wants to ride behind him when we do rides, it has a very annoying raspy, rattling sound.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
IMHO Loud and cheap quality, not for a hundred bucks.

Pat

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had one on the original Whitephrog and loved it. No issues and a great sound.

I'm going with an Abarth system on the new Whitephrog mostly because I've wanted one since the mid-sixties.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
For a dual tipped exhaust consider a Flowtech 59905FLT from Advance Auto. Dual 2 1/2" tips that are chromed. Built in resonator. You'll need a couple of adapters to get it from 2/5" pipe to our 1.75" pipe. Price is right $34.44 last time I looked at the Advance Auto Website. Take a look at the AA Website for a picture. Price is right, someone on this list has this installed on their Spridget and says it sounds great. Will likely be quieter than the freebie Harley Muffler with no baffles I'm presently using, which is still quieter than the old blown out glasspack /Chrry bomb that was on the car when I bought it.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Whitephrog said:
I had one on the original Whitephrog and loved it. No issues and a great sound.

I have one on now. PO put it on. Didn't fit it very well IMHO but it sounds pretty good to me. Probably better less expensive solutions as has been said.

This is the Advance Auto one? That looks like it'd be LOUD.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Again probably no lounder that the Harley Muffler I got for free that has the baffles punched out. This one is still quieter than the glass pack I had on Bugsy.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have one on mine. PO put it there in 2002. It's lasting good and sounds nice. I don't know if I would pay the price myself though. Especially what places like Moss and VB are charging.

Attachments

• 15289.jpg
    15289.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 435

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Here's mine. Pipe doesn't not turn back up after crossing under axle so they are too low, too far out too. Really should address that too I guess.....they scrape going in/out angled drives (including my driveway).
tailpipe.JPG

V

vagt6

My experience with the Monza systems is rust and NOISE: they will rust like nobody's biz in moist climates, especially if the car isn't stored in a relatively tight garage.

Also, they are a long way from the OEM or stock appearance. Looks more like something that should be on a Ferrari or race car than a stock LBC, IMHO.

Also, my GT6 came from the PO with a brand new Monza on it, and it was LOUD. If you like LOUD, they're fine. It was so loud that at highway speeds it would render headaches after about 30 minutes. I like a "sporty" sound, but not at the expense of a headache and tinnitus. :sick:

If you're into stock, most of these cars (MGs, Triumphs, etc.) were pretty quiet from the factory. The factory exhaust system on a GT6 or an MGB, for example, rendered a very quiet car. So quiet, in fact, that many folks opted for the Ansa or similar systems to get more noise.

YMMV. But remember, the Monza system is inexpensive, but it will rust quite quickly.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think one came on my car. Sure looks just like that. It's been there for at all the 12 years I've had the car with no rust that I'm aware of. I live in Western Washington, but then I try not to take the car out when the roads are wet. Still, lasted fine for me. But I have been known to have to drive with ear plugs if its going to be a long trip. I'm scouting a Harley muffler now, just because I like the look.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I think I'll dig around for a Harley one too. There's a huge Harley dealer in my town, they have to take them off and dump them almost daily you'd think. I'll go beg a few. I don't like the way mine looks at all, but the sound is okay (bit quieter would be good, not sure if the Harley way is quieter or not.

RickB

Yoda
I've got the quad tip version.
I'm not having rust issues and it spends a lot of time wet.
It is loud. I should get it welded to the pipe, I know the connection isn't very good and that's partially why it is so loud. I like the look of it, maybe if a small silencer was placed between it and the pipe that would help, then I'd have the look but it would be toned down a bit.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The Harley Muffler is really a great solution. See if you can find one with the baffles still in place. With 2 adapters in place to go from 1.75" pipe to 2" and then 2" to 2.5" it mounted in almost the exact same space as the old stock muffler. I used a large nut to fit in the muffler mounting slot and tack welded the adapters together so they all fit. One modification I'd make is a large U Bolt/Strap in the front of the muffler where it attaches to the 1.75 exhaust pipe to more fully support the muffler and get it more level.

Again I simply went to the local large Harley Store and asked to see their junk pile. The freebie I got has a little bit of road rash but otherwise looks perfect and the road rash is hidden under the car. A very inexpensive solution since it was free other than the adapters and a few nuts and bolts.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Tack welding of the adapter pipes keeps them from vibrating loose. Something that happened after several weekends of driving no matter how tight I made the U Bolt clamps. If you don't have a welder I'm sure a muffler shop could take care of you for a very small donation. Might even be a box of donuts type of goverment job.

bugimike

Yoda
I also am a big fan of the Harley muffler, and as stated above, they can usually be had for gratis! I have a few...with baffles and with baffles knocked out (for that "Monza" tone :devilgrin: )!