• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wanted MK2 - Please, help needed

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Dear All,

good evening.
Tomorrow morning I am going to look at the Jaguar MK2 in this thread.
Is there a way to see if the Engine, Body and Gearbox numbers are the original ones?
Something like a website, a Jaguar owner's "something" to ask ?
The Car has no plates, but it has the original documents and the new ones (property change in Italy produces a new document). The chassis number should be there, I'll check it, but I don't know if the engine and gearbox are reported somewhere...

Thanks and regards

Herger

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Dear All,

yesterday I went to see the Jag again, bringing it to the official Jaguar workshop in Rome (thanks to @LarryK for his precious advice).
There they told me that the steering and the front suspensions needed work, as well as the rear suspensions... Moreover, looking well from below, they found that the car must have had a front accident and the work was not properly done, with rust below the paint....
Moreover, there was a bad mood smell in the cockpit and probably the roof lining needed to be changed, even if in good conditions (apart from the smell)...

Then, I decide not to take it....

Today, I feel very sorry for this, but I hope there will be another occasion very soon.... I will keep on posting questions and looking if there is the MK2 of any dreams:
- white
- red interior
- wire wheels

Thanks to everybody, and to @LarryK in particular!
My very best regards

Herger

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Whenever I buy a Jaguar, it takes a minimum of six months to a year to find a proper Jag. You did excellent with the inspection. Bide your time, be in no hurry, inspect, and do not be afraid to walk away. The right one will come, save the $, and one will appear. But, you might want to rethink having a certain color, that narrows down your search, as I learned, doesn't matter the color as long as I get one. Good job!

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Whenever I buy a Jaguar, it takes a minimum of six months to a year to find a proper Jag. You did excellent with the inspection. Bide your time, be in no hurry, inspect, and do not be aafraid to walk away. The right one will come, save the $, and one will appear. But, you might want to rethink having a certain color, that narrows down your search, as I learned, doesn't matter the color as long as I get one. Good job!
Great!! Thanks truly much, Larry!!! My very best regards!! :smile:

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Hi All!!
Good evening and Happy Sunday.

I am keeping on searching my MK2 3.8 and found **2** potential candidates, both totally restored (they say,I have to double check everything):
the 1st) here in Rome, BUT:
it is grey, and the present owner installed air conditioning and new brakes... Is it a problem? Can it still be consider "classic" or not?
the 2nd) in another city, 300 miles away, BUT
it is white (for me a plus), BUT the owner has installed a leather cover outside the roof... He says it is a Jaguar original work, but I have
never seen it before.
I attach the photos of this second candidate: I would like to know if You have ever seen something similar and WHAT it may imply in terms of preservation and maintenance of this leather roof... How long can it last, I mean every how many years it may require to be changed? How much could it be a work like that, according to Your experience?
Thanks in advance and my very best regards,

Herger

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.33.25.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.33.25.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.35.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.35.49.png
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.35.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.35.57.png
    977.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.36.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.36.09.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.36.20.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.36.20.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.36.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 19.36.42.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
A/C does not eliminate it as a classic. I have a MK2 that had dealer installed A/C. The leather roof cover: if it goes bad, remove and paint. Just take care of sunroof.

OP
H

herger

Country flag
A/C does not eliminate it as a classic. I have a MK2 that had dealer installed A/C. The leather roof cover: if it goes bad, remove and paint. Just take care of sunroof.
Great, Larry, thanks truly much. Below the leather there is an openable roof. Can this be a Source of problems? The internal part of the roof seems to be in leather: is that fine or problem?
thanks again!!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Looks good. Might have had a leaking gasket and covered it.

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Dear Larry, dear All,

good morning!
I am continuing my "quest" to fin my MK2.
I have found 2 potential candidates:
- a 3.8, "opalescent gold", with red interiors (my favourite!), manual with overdrive. It is preserved, I know the car, as it belonged to the father of a neighbour of mine. The external color does not drive me cray, but the car is very elegant and it seems to be ok. Only thing: it has been used only **very rarely**, thus some leakages are there... I'll go and see it on Wednesday evening, I'll post the photos for more details;
- a 3.4, white, with light blue interiors, manual, with overdrive. This car has new interiors and the engine has been maintained (I still have to receive all the details of the maintenance); my only concern is that it is a "3.4" instead of a "3.8".... I have been dreaming of a 3.8, as it is "the best", but I would like to have Your thoughts on this.... It is not for the 8 Hp difference in the power, it is that when You drive it, You say to yourself "it's fantastic, BUT it is NOT a 3.8...."... What do You think of that?

As always, thanks in advance for any help and my very best regards,

Herger

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
3.4L 210 hp, 3.8L 220 hp. Not really a difference in power. Really, the 3.8 isn't the status symbol it used to be. Having a MK1 in good condition is something in itself. Least built model with 17,000+ made over 4 yrs. I would go with one that I knew who owned it. Ask for records, most owners kept maintenance records. Still have a check up to be sure of hidden rust, panels and rust repair can be expensive. But, technically, the 3.4L was raced more than the 3.8. Check them out, drive, with owners, and eeiney, mieny, moe, and decide.

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Dear All, dear Larry,

good afternoon!
Today, I met the Jaguar MK2 3.8 gold sand with red interior.
It belongs to the father of a friend of mine, since 1969: just one previous owner since 1963.
No surprises, no accidents.
My friends uses it very rarely, he would be pleased to sell it to me, he is a good guy.
It seems a very good occasion, I would very much like to purchase it.

Please: give me Your impressions, I have some doubts regarding the following aspects:
1) Below the car, there is some some rust: the anti-noise coating is falling off in some places, I attach two photos of the worst part (according to my limited knowledge);
2) The numbers match between the plate and the parts: however, why there is *NOT* the "DN" suffix on the body, while it appears on the plate? The car is a 3.8, it has always had the overdrive, why there is this discrepancy between the plate and the number punched on the body? (the numbers, of course, are the very same)
3) I attach a photo of the rear door from the inside: when it is closed, from the inside You can see the chassis and the door compartment, is this normal??
4) the hood has something wrong: under it, the painting is falling off. I tried with a magnet and it seems there is no plaster and there should be not too much rust, but please, give me Your impression;
5) It started at the very first attempt (which is good); however, from the exhaust, some water drops and some oil droplets sprayed out. As I said before, this car is used very rarely (1-2 times per year). I attach a photo of this, as well.
6) I attach a photo of the head of the Panard rod, which (according to Nigel Thornly) should give the "temperature" of the overall conditions of the car: what do You thin about that, please?

Please: let me have Your feelings, I would very much like to accomplish the purchase in the very near future.
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help, my very best regards,

Herger

Attachments

• IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Looks decent. Undercoating (rust proofing ) peeling and flaking. Will have to be tended to if driving in foul weather. Door not really unusual, but trim might be needing adjustment. Under bonnet (hood) looks to be a hot spot, either near carbs or radiator. Water is not unusual from exhaust a side product of fuel being burnt. Oil from sitting and coming thru valves. A good tune and a few easy drives at first will straigten the spray. Top looks ok, but check seal on sunroof and the corner of leather top. Depends on price if I would consider buying. As far as running, you would ha e to go to an experienced Jag man for opinion. Seems like it would be a good drive around car when broke in to your style of driving.

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Looks decent. Undercoating (rust proofing ) peeling and flaking. Will have to be tended to if driving in foul weather. Door not really unusual, but trim might be needing adjustment. Under bonnet (hood) looks to be a hot spot, either near carbs or radiator. Water is not unusual from exhaust a side product of fuel being burnt. Oil from sitting and coming thru valves. A good tune and a few easy drives at first will straigten the spray. Top looks ok, but check seal on sunroof and the corner of leather top. Depends on price if I would consider buying. As far as running, you would ha e to go to an experienced Jag man for opinion. Seems like it would be a good drive around car when broke in to your style of driving.

Dear Larry, thanks truly much, as always! :smile:
Please, may You better explain what do You mean with “Top looks ok, but check seal on sunroof and the corner of leather top”?
my friend asks for 35k€, I hope to have a little discount.
Lights are ok, the two ceiling lights over the back seats and the original radio do not work, he said he will fix them before selling it to me.

I would kindly ask for these advices:
1) What kind of anti-rust should I use for the undercoating, where it is falling off? I will have to have the car lifted, sandpaper the old coating and put the new one, is that right? Any particular procedure to carry out?
2) I would like to change the seat belts: the car has old (and *very* ugly) black seat belts at the front seats. I would like to put 4 belts (front and rear seats), coloured red as the interiors. Do Yu have any suggestions where to buy and which model? Do You also know how to install them for the back seats?
3) My friend says he has always done a constant but very standard maintenance: do You have some special recommendations for the engine, gear, clutch and brakes?

Thanks in advance and my very best regards, I am really excited, as I believe that *this* is the ONE!!! :smile:

Herger

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Left front corner of top of sunroof does not lay flat. There is rubber weatherstripping under the roof panel around opening of sunroof. The best way to take off undercoating is blasting or the chemical loosener and scrape. Got to watch latching so it does not leave a water opening in a crack. If a daily driver repair as correctly as possible. If a side car for weekly jaunts scrape and respray, if concours (show) remove and redo. Seat belts, might check ebay.uk or something near you. Instductions are usually included, which means removing rear seat, side panel between doors and making holes. Good luck.

OP
H

herger

Country flag
Left front corner of top of sunroof does not lay flat. There is rubber weatherstripping under the roof panel around opening of sunroof. The best way to take off undercoating is blasting or the chemical loosener and scrape. Got to watch latching so it does not leave a water opening in a crack. If a daily driver repair as correctly as possible. If a side car for weekly jaunts scrape and respray, if concours (show) remove and redo. Seat belts, might check ebay.uk or something near you. Instductions are usually included, which means removing rear seat, side panel between doors and making holes. Good luck.
Thanks truly much!
You mean making holes in the chassis? So it would be a source of future rust, isn't?
I will have to search for someone with experience...
Since the car has already the front buckles, I should check for rust below them, is that right?

Thanks truly much Larry, I'll keep You posted!!

Best regards

Herger

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If holes are not painted after drilling,.yes, possible rust. Check, sand, brush on paint or primer, install.